PDA

View Full Version : Geocaching Lesson for Bentonville Junior High Students

kfoerster
10-08-2015, 01:38 PM
I am a geography teacher in Bentonville at the 7th grade level. I have no experience with geocaching, but I think it would be engaging for students to hear about this from local geocachers. Do any of you know if there is an organization that might be interested in coming to our school to discuss the technology behind geocaching?

Clark~Griswold
10-08-2015, 05:13 PM
We may be able to help you with that or get you in touch the Northwest Arkansas group. I added it to the agenda to discuss at our quarterly meeting tomorrow.

MathSeeker
10-08-2015, 06:01 PM
This would fall under the Community Relations Committee area.

OldRiverRunner
10-10-2015, 04:10 PM
If the Arkansas Geocachers Association is truly to be THE gecoaching association for Arkansas, then it needs to help this group out and not farm it out to a more local group that has no association with ArkGeo. It seems that ArkGeo is overly focused on the central part of the state and not reaching out to the other corners of Arkansas. This would be a GREAT opportunity for that outreach!

Clark~Griswold
10-11-2015, 05:18 PM
We are trying to support this via the Community Relations Committee. If anyone would like to join the committee and help out with this type of request, please reply to this thread and the Committee Chair or a Board Member will contact you.

OldRiverRunner
10-12-2015, 12:58 PM
We are trying to support this via the Community Relations Committee. If anyone would like to join the committee and help out with this type of request, please reply to this thread and the Committee Chair or a Board Member will contact you.
Shouldn't any ArkGeo member be allowed to help out with something like this, without having to join a committee? I think the Committee should be responsible for checking into this request and then posting the information about it, like Who, Where, and When, and then asking for volunteers from the general membership. Of course, committee members could handle teaching the class, if they want. But I think there might be other members who would be willing to do this occasionally, but are unwilling to give their time to a standing committee due to other commitments. (Me, for example.)

Woodwalker9
10-13-2015, 11:49 AM
The Community Relations Committee is on top of this. A private message has been sent to the teacher. Details will be ironed out and we will make this happen.

Clark~Griswold
10-13-2015, 05:03 PM
Thanks Pat

docfirewoman
10-14-2015, 10:29 AM
If any help is needed I do a LOT of outreach work with schools and have done geocaching projects with Atkins MIddle school a few times. I could provide assistance if needed but I am not on any committee. Just offering to help

likestocanoe
10-14-2015, 02:15 PM
As per our previous PM - we will do our best to be available. Not on the committee, either... We just volunteer when needed.

ChuckWalla
10-17-2015, 06:06 AM
I have a request for any geocacher who goes to this school, or any school, to teach a class on the Global Positioning System technology and geocaching.

Please, please, please emphasize that GEOCACHES SHOULD NEVER BE PLACED ON OR NEAR SCHOOL PROPERTY.

I don't know if these topics have recently become popular in public education curriculum and therefore have led to an increase in interest among the students and faculty, but I have been seeing a recent rise in applications for geocaches placed on the grounds of public schools across the state. And I have had to reject each one.

docfirewoman
11-03-2015, 08:19 AM
When I teach the teachers I emphasize that point so they don't have to resubmit. Whether or not that sinks in I can't say

Cloak.n.Dagger
03-07-2016, 01:56 AM
I am very new to this association, but extremely active in geocaching. I hold one event each month here in NWA and live in Bentonville, If I can be of any service to you. Please let me know. I would be happy to help in anyway.

Cloak.n.Dagger
03-09-2016, 01:46 AM
I have a request for any geocacher who goes to this school, or any school, to teach a class on the Global Positioning System technology and geocaching.

Please, please, please emphasize that GEOCACHES SHOULD NEVER BE PLACED ON OR NEAR SCHOOL PROPERTY.

I don't know if these topics have recently become popular in public education curriculum and therefore have led to an increase in interest among the students and faculty, but I have been seeing a recent rise in applications for geocaches placed on the grounds of public schools across the state. And I have had to reject each one.

I have been recently approached by a local library to give a class on geocaching. Is there a packet that Groundspeak prefers to use for info in classes like these? If not I was just going to use the guidelines from groundspeak webpage.

Cloak.n.Dagger
06-01-2016, 07:56 AM
I would love to help out in anyway possible. I have been talking with a few non ArkGeo members and are starting to get a ball rolling to teach 101 classes at the local libraries per the request of Libraries. I would love to be a part of this if you still need help.