PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas State Parks - ParkCache

ExtremeTrek
07-14-2008, 10:34 AM
WE ARE LIVE!

You wouldn't believe the logistics to getting this thing going! 51 caches are now live. The only one missing is Hobbs (I hope to have it up by tomorrow). You can see all of them at: ParkCache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?u=Arkansas%20State%20Parks). They are all placed by Arkansas State Parks.

We hope to have a news release going out by Wednesday so you have a head start. This is not really a race but I know what happens when the competitive spirit rears it's ugly head so have at it.

Do me a couple of favors please -- (1) If you see a problem with any of them let me know as soon as possible at joseph.jacobs@arkanas.gov. I will work to fix it as fast as possible. Suggestions are welcome. (2) Some of these parks are in remote areas of the state. If you have a chance to place a geocache please do. Reminder, please respect all the regular rules. We are hoping to get more people out to visit some of these parks and I know the chances are better if there are more caches in the area.

Have a blast! I know we already have 3 first finds. Which will yours be?

BSA534
07-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Wow, this sounds like a great adventure! I can't wait to visit some state parks I've never been to! Thanks so much for doing this!

Howlingmoon
07-14-2008, 01:13 PM
I wish I could go find them all but, they're ALL over Arkansas. :( Maybe if gas ever drops to a reasonable price. haha

AR-HICK
07-14-2008, 10:29 PM
The cache pages look great :!:
I think this will be a great series to try, I can't wait to get started.
I am heading for Petit Jean in the morning.

cfd29
07-15-2008, 04:22 PM
You are to be commended on this series of caches, now I really have an excuse to try and go to all the State Parks.
Thanks for this great series..

Spice
07-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks for placing these caches. My family and I will have to try and visit as many state parks as we can. Like the other comments that have been made I think the cache listings look great!

cachemates
07-15-2008, 07:46 PM
The Arkansas Geocachers really appreciate the State Parks and all they do to help promote geocaching. This new cache series will be a good reason to visit all the State Parks.
We got 2 yesterday.
Crater of Diamonds and Daisy
Thanks Arkansas State Parks

ExtremeTrek
07-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone for the positive feedback. A couple of issues going on (which I pretty much expected with 52 going live at once). Some of them were placed a few weeks ago so we may have a few muggle issues. The worst that I've seen seem to be early signing of logs. We have had a few bad coords. When I hear of that I contact the park to have them go check them.

In the first two days we have had 44 finds. That's on a Monday or Tuesday. The joke around the office is, "Don't these people have jobs?":lol:

There are still a lot of FTF's to be had. I also heard from a little bird that Ozark Folk Center is putting recipes from the Skillet Restaurant in their cache.

As always, let me know of problems and we will fix them as fast as possible.

Joe

Spice
07-16-2008, 07:44 AM
"Don't these people have jobs?"

:( Yes, I do and it keeps getting in the way of geocaching! :lol:

Gaddiel
07-16-2008, 08:28 AM
Thanks to Woodwalker, you can now find a .gpx file containing all of these caches in our Downloads (http://www.arkgeocaching.org/modules.php?name=Downloads) section, under the heading of Miscellaneous.

Wayne

oenavigator
07-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone for the positive feedback. A couple of issues going on (which I pretty much expected with 52 going live at once). Some of them were placed a few weeks ago so we may have a few muggle issues. The worst that I've seen seem to be early signing of logs. We have had a few bad coords. When I hear of that I contact the park to have them go check them.

Oops! I changed our log to a note. I didn't know we weren't supposed to find that. I thought it was kind of a perk for attending the CITO.

This is a great promotion and we're looking forward to hunting them all. We were planning on visiting all the parks anyway and this gives us a goal. Though so far all we've managed to accomplish is a note and a DNF. :lol:

Thanks for organizing this! I know our family will enjoy it and appreciate all the effort. Our state parks are the best!

cfd29
07-19-2008, 05:31 PM
We have found 5 of them so far, this is going to be fun, so far all the park employees are so supportive, we had a great visit with the rangers at Lake Ouachita. They knew all about it but would only give us vague hints they said they didnt want to spoil our search.. ( I think they just liked to watch us going crazy trying to find it) But we found it..

Only 47 more to go.. And yes I do have a job,, guess what,,,, I work for

Wait for it

The State of Arkansas......

wouldn't you know it...

cfd29
07-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Yea, I know, you are going to say, If you are a State Employee, how can you afford the gas to go all over the State??

Answer to that is..

The Wife has a good job....

Use her check to pay for gas (just don't tell her)

SJClimber
07-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Seems like a real project with distances, but a way to experience the Parks. Have an idea for the owner, create a bookmark list of the caches which can be updated as caches are added/deleted. One can create a PQ (thanks Pat) from the list. Also, for visitors to the state, one will note the list if just one SP cache website is opened.

ExtremeTrek
07-21-2008, 08:14 AM
Did anyone see the story this morning in the Democrat Gazette?

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Style/231993/

Thanks Celia! Now everyone knows our little secret! 8)

BTW what's a PQ? Also we do have the bookmark on each page. It's: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest. ... te%20Parks (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?u=Arkansas%20State%20Parks)

majii
07-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Seems like a real project with distances, but a way to experience the Parks. Have an idea for the owner, create a bookmark list of the caches which can be updated as caches are added/deleted. One can create a PQ (thanks Pat) from the list. Also, for visitors to the state, one will note the list if just one SP cache website is opened.

I was actually just about to create a bookmark list for all of the caches in the series and make it public. I think I'll go ahead and do that. It beats working while at work... :D

BTW what's a PQ?
A PQ is a Pocket Query.

majii
07-21-2008, 09:42 AM
I just created a bookmark list for all the caches in this series. Please let me know if it's visible (I haven't created a public bookmark list before) and if it is missing any of the caches that should be on the list.

cfd29
07-21-2008, 03:05 PM
A PQ is a pocket query, where you may enter information on the geocaching site if you are a premium member and it will generate a set number of caches (up to 500) within a location you have selected, then the information can be downloaded to your GPSr and to a mobile device such as a palm or pocket pc, that way you can cache paperless..
Makes things much easier..

OldRiverRunner
07-21-2008, 09:02 PM
I just created a bookmark list for all the caches in this series. Please let me know if it's visible (I haven't created a public bookmark list before) and if it is missing any of the caches that should be on the list.

You did good! :D It's visible and it says it contains 53 caches, which is the number in this series. Now, I didn't go through and check to make sure they were all the right ones, so I will leave that to one of the insomniacs in our association to confirm! :twisted:

Thanks majii!

SJClimber
07-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Great list and work Majii. My apologies to Extreme Trek. Should have explained things more thoroughly. Fortunately others were nice enough to fill in the blanks.. This hunt should be fun.. Onward/SJC

OldRiverRunner
07-24-2008, 07:14 AM
OK. Now we have a bookmark list. So ... has anyone put together a spreadsheet yet to record and sum all the numbers, to determine the coordinates for The Grand Finale ??? I was going to do one sometime, but I didn't want to re-invent the wheel!

By the way, majii, what are you doing at work today???? Got any spare time? :twisted:

majii
07-24-2008, 07:40 AM
All I have is the printout of the list on the cache pages:

http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/things-to-do/geocaching/Clue_Sheet.pdf

Although, I don't think that would take but a few seconds to create a spreadsheet from that pdf. I hadn't thought of that yet. I was just going low tech by printing it out and writing the numbers down manually.

ExtremeTrek
07-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Ask and ye shall receive. You can down load the Excel version here:

http://drop.io/ParkCacheClueSheet

Just please, no sharing of clues!

OldRiverRunner
07-24-2008, 12:08 PM
:D :D :D WAHOO !!! :D :D :D

You State Park dudes are ALL RIGHT !!! :lol:

ExtremeTrek
07-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Just a quick update for everyone:

We are currently 100% up. We are trying hard to keep the muggles at bay. We still have a few FTF's to be had. Queen Wilhelmina State Park, Cossatot River State Park-Natural Area, Herman Davis State Park and Historic Washington State Park. Sorry for those who tried to get them before. 3 of them were muggled and the 4th was a bad coordinate. Good luck to all.

Moro Bay State Park will have some new coordinates momentarily. Keep an eye on that one.

Powhatan Historic State Park is moving the cache to a 24/7 place. In the meantime check with the park office during open hours.

Just drop me a note if you have any questions or concerns.

oenavigator
07-29-2008, 06:29 PM
I tried for a FTF on the Queen Wilhelmina Parkcache twice. Both times a dismal failure. I then hunted Daisy which we thankfully found. The container was a toolbox and subsequently everything inside was ruined, but I found it. My fourth ParkCache hunt was at Cossatot. Yeah, it wasn't there. :cry:

One ruined found it and three DNF's. All because I wanted to get a FTF on a ParkCache. I have learned two invaluable lessons though.

1. Don't let any cache get me so excited that I'll rush out of my way to hunt it. I normally don't but this series had me fired up.

2. I'm going to let these ParkCaches bake for awhile until everything is fine tuned. After the fiasco at Cossatot my wife threatened me with taking away my GPS if I drag our family to another park hunting one. 8O

ExtremeTrek
07-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Sorry about that OENav. You got caught in a bad spot with Queen and Cossatot. Watch the caches and you'll see the vast majority have had no problems. There are still two FTF's out there if you're interested. Of course it may be too late by now.

Just so everyone knows, the ParkCaches are intended to be semi-permanent so even if you don't get them first they will be around for quite a while. I have 250 75th Anniversary Geocoins. It will take some time before they are gone plus we are already working on some ways to add to the fun next year but that's my little secret. :lol:

AR-HICK
07-30-2008, 08:14 AM
EONavigators wrote:

2. I'm going to let these ParkCaches bake for awhile until everything is fine tuned. After the fiasco at Cossatot my wife threatened me with taking away my GPS if I drag our family to another park hunting one.
Don't give up your GPS, if you must sacrifice give up the batteries.
How dare her threating you like that :!: No cacher should have to take that kind of abuse 8O I will have a stern discussion with her the next time I see her :evil:
You also might be sleeping with your GPS if you listen to me. :lol:
EON did you see

ExtremeTrek wrote

Sorry about that OENav. You got caught in a bad spot with Queen and Cossatot. Watch the caches and you'll see the vast majority have had no problems. There are still two FTF's out there if you're interested. Of course it may be too late by now.

FTF and in your backyard almost :lol:

250 75th anniversary geocoins, will they reamain in the cache until the end of the year? Or until they are gone?
My plan was to finish when the weather cooled off a little.

oenavigator
07-30-2008, 11:12 AM
AR-HICK wrote:
Don't give up your GPS, if you must sacrifice give up the batteries.
How dare her threating you like that Exclamation No cacher should have to take that kind of abuse Shocked I will have a stern discussion with her the next time I see her Evil or Very Mad
You also might be sleeping with your GPS if you listen to me. Laughing

I already took care of that! I just marched straight up to her and.....begged on my knees!! :lol: It worked. (I had the spare GPS hidden under the bed) She even mentioned hunting the Queen Wilhelmina cache when we go to Albert Pike this weekend.

I'm going to wait though. In my attempts at finding it I did find a very nice place to hide a cache on the trail which is great by the way. Really, it's a fun hike. If you hunt that one you should hike the trail counter-clockwise from the trail head on the southern side of the lodge. I'm going to submit a permit to see if I can hide a cache at the park.

ExtremeTrek wrote

Thanks. I've noticed that this generally happens almost every time (coordinates were off for this cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=f5ca698c-62f9-44ab-bc30-e99c1281b7e7) to.) I try for a FTF. They don't appear anywhere near us often. I think the last one was back in January. I would like to make one suggestion though. Due to the fact that any cache I decide to hunt for a FTF seems to have something bad happen to it beforehand, (eaten by a bear, struck by lightning, stolen by E.T.'s, etc.), the state parks may want to contact me in advance and ask that I stay at home for awhile. :lol:

gespurr
07-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Did anyone see the story this morning in the Democrat Gazette?

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Style/231993/

Yeah, my mom called me tonight to tell me about the article.

AR-HICK
08-03-2008, 05:00 PM
How many do you like?

netinator posted a note for The Grand Finale (Multi-cache) at 8/3/2008 Log Date: 8/3/2008
Okay...I will be the first to post a note on this awesome challenge. I have to say that I have had soooo much fun going to each and every State Park that I have visited so far. I have 19 finished, and I am hoping to get out this week and get several more. Each place that I have gone to has been such a treat. I have also tried to go into the offices and talk about the Geocaching. Everyone has been so nice. When I read the logs, it sounds like others are having just as much fun as I am. I would like to Thank the entire State for doing such a terrific job on putting this together for all of the Geocachers in the area and surrounding States. Happy Caching

She is from Memphis, TENN.
Please tell me someone from Arkansas is going to beat her.
I have found 8 and am a long ways from getting the rest.
Ar-Hick

OldRiverRunner
08-03-2008, 06:16 PM
I have a grand total of ... 3 :( . But in the forum thread on the Delorme challenge, B62GTAWK said he has racked up a BUNCH this past week. (29, I believe).

Way to go, B62GTAWK! Don't let those carpetbaggers beat our home team!

cfd29
08-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Wow, I saw that also, that is great, I thought we were doing good with 8 so far, then someone turned on the oven and we have been staying inside for the most part, don't think we would have to worry about bugs and critters out now,, it is too hot for them too!!
We are leaving for a cooler climate next week, hope things can cool off when we return. :lol:

B62GTAWK
08-03-2008, 08:48 PM
I have 30 now but can't see me finishing before the end of Aug. There is a team from Helena (grzz51) who has found more than I have. I also signed alot of logs behind a cacher (ltfighter).

Ltfightr
08-04-2008, 10:14 AM
I havn't been around much.

We have 30 as of yesterday. We hope to get 2 more tonight and to finish by next week. It would be nice to get FTF on it but I don't know if we will or not.

We are having a lot of fun doing this!

Diana

topkitty98
08-05-2008, 10:25 AM
I think I know of someone else who is working on it - young dude from Searcy, I believe. :roll:
I heard him say he had recently attended an event in Mississippi and a bunch of Mississippians (?) were discussing making a run on it. Well, that's all he had to hear! (Like he needs an excuse!)

Please, SOMEbody from Arkansas needs to be FTF! (Nothing agin' them other places, but . . . )

You will notice, I didn't say WE were working on it? It seems I went on a Searcy run last week and on cache no. 6 (Yes, 6 not 60!) the heat hit me badly and we had to stop. Man, it kills me, but the doc says one of my medications and heat doesn't go together well. Shoot. Went out today for a tech class, did one cache in the shade and did okay. Maybe . . .

Nah, I promise I will be good.

Ltfightr
08-05-2008, 06:36 PM
I'm TRYING!! LOL

If all plans go right, we MIGHT get the FTF this weekend. I HOPE to get FTF on Cosset River this Thrusday.

Wish us luck!

Diana

AR-HICK
08-05-2008, 11:39 PM
It looks like that HOT ROD FORD is on the prowl for FTF's :!:
In case you have not been watching Woodwalker9 got yet another FTF on Cossatot Parkcache :!:
Just a word of warning for those who may be ahead of him, he can be a very deceitful :twisted: person those coords he posted on the cache page may be bogus :lol:
Congradulations, WW9 for finding the cache that has been giving others fits, the OLD MASTER is flying under the radar.
I would like to see if he takes that HOT ROD FORD all the way to the cache at Daisy 8)

B62GTAWK
08-06-2008, 03:42 PM
He better have a picture of it on his Hiking Boots. 8O Because its not going to Daisy. Neither is any Jeep. Maybe a Rock Crawler. :lol:

oenavigator
08-06-2008, 04:17 PM
He better have a picture of it on his Hiking Boots. 8O Because its not going to Daisy. Neither is any Jeep. Maybe a Rock Crawler. :lol:

:lol:

ExtremeTrek
08-07-2008, 07:59 AM
Someone is getting very close! By my reckoning they have 50 ParkCaches! That's visiting more than 2 parks a day on average. WOW!

searcykid
08-07-2008, 08:39 AM
So by my reckoning that means by today everyone can relax and enjoy the parks a little more because PAT will have completed the trek and will have given the shout, "I FOUND UM"!!.

Sue and I will start our Arkansas State Park cache hunt Saturday and try to get 5 or 6 in the North East section.

B62GTAWK
08-07-2008, 01:37 PM
WW9 should have the cache in hand this afternoon. Our scares of someone out of state will be over and Pat will have his #????? FTF. I sure am glad I don't live around Searcy. Congrats goes to our Hero WW9!!!!!

BSA534
08-07-2008, 03:26 PM
When I grow up I want to be just like WW9! Great job on the Park Caches. I hope to hear about it sometime on the Cacheamaniacs podcast!

Tim

searcykid
08-07-2008, 04:28 PM
A few days ago we heard a loud VAROOM and Sue said it was only a Jet taking off at the Searcy Airport but I just knew it was WW9 turning on the afterburners on his Patmobile. For a couple days all we saw was a red haze over Searcy and could only smell the exhaust of a HOT ROD FORD so we knew WW9 was off on an emergengy cache run.
I don't know when he put wings on that thing but he must have been flying it because I starting seeing his name show up on ParksCache logs from El Dorado to Fayettville, from Fort Smith to Parkin, and all points in between.
I don't know for sure but I have a feeling he will log the last cache sometime today.

searcykid
08-07-2008, 06:08 PM
CONGRATULATIONS TO WOODWALKER9 ON BEING FIRST TO COMPLETE THE ARKANSAS STATE PARKS CACHE CHALLENGE.
ALL 52 STATE PARK CACHES AND THE GRAND FINALE.
WAY TO GO.

Gaddiel
08-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Wow.

Ltfightr
08-07-2008, 08:33 PM
WooHoo! Good Job, Pat!

We are right behind you. We only have 3 left and are doing them tomorrow.

QuartzCachers
08-08-2008, 05:59 AM
Congratulations Pat!!! Way to go! This ought to make for a few good tales! :D :D :D

AR-HICK
08-08-2008, 07:28 AM
"The Grande Finale" has been found by the Hot Rod Ford,Congradulations WW9 on yet another FTF. I am just glad I don't live within the flight zone.
I would like to also Congradulate grzz51 for making such a good effort for FTF, 4 ours late. You have worked hard and now have one of the hardest caches you will ever do behind you.
I hope we can meet on the trails sometime. I will contiue to work towards the Finale and am planning a big weekend in the East.

flannelman
08-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Good job guys!! I haven't even sated yet. I was thinking of trying to get them all in 2 days. Can it be done??

searcykid
08-08-2008, 09:13 AM
WOW!!
Congratulations to GRZZ51 for your accomplishment in completing all the StatePark Caches and the Grande Finale.

WW9 just barely beat you guys for FTF.

Both of your feats just amaze me. That is some traveling.

My wife and I have talked about visiting all the Arkansas State Parks but have only been to about 10 total. When the State Parks Challenge was published we decided that we needed no better reason to try to visit all the parks this year and try to log each cache.
We felt that it would be a stretch for us to do in 5 months. But WW9 did it in 14 days and you guys doing it so quickly. Maybe our 5 month plan is doable after all.

Tomorrow we start on the ParksCache adventure starting with Jacksonport and on to Mammoth Springs and some of the other caches in the north east and east part of the state.

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN YOU GUYS.

oenavigator
08-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Congratulations Hot Rod Ford and grzz51 on finding the finale!
Uh........Pat. Our county judge wants to speak with you. Something about a sonic boom and shattered glass. Also a mysteriously torn up stretch of Hwy 71 through Waldron. Just thought I'd pass along the info. :lol: Congratulations!

AR-HICK
08-11-2008, 10:59 PM
I have this cache on my watchlist.

netinator found The Grand Finale (Multi-cache) at 8/8/2008
Log Date: 8/8/2008
It’s the eighth hour and the eighth minute of the eighth day in the eighth month of the eighth year, as I sign my final log, sharing the 3rd to find with LtFightr, I search for words to describe my experiences with the Arkansas State Park Geocaching Challenge. At times like this, words come hard that adequately describe the incredible feelings that swell within me for the state, the parks, the people, and the experiences I encountered on my journeys. One of the codes of honor followed by geocachers ”When you take something, you must replace it with an object of equal or greater value”. Arkansas is like a geocaching treasure chest, which I opened and took many wonderful memories from, now I sit and ponder what I can trade in return. I am a Minnesota girl who lives in Memphis and wakes to the sight of Arkansas across the river everyday. Because of this connection, I have come to love the State. If there are any regrets, it would be that it ended to quickly. If I could change one thing, I would have used my motorcycle in the Northwest Region. My very first cache taught me that Arkansas is the friendliest place on earth. My first search came up empty as the cache had not been placed yet and the Ranger had me wait in his office while he made the hide. When I was searching and learning ABIECTIO's caches introduced me to Arkansas caching, when I was discouraged and ready to give up GRZZ51 provided encouraging words, when I was confused and lost WOODWALKER’S logs gave me direction, when I was huffin and puffin B62GTAWK offered me friendship, when I was giving up and headed back to the car BUZZARD SKANLY shared his light, when I was solo and needed to talk KJW0169 always answered her phone, when I was tired and finished LIFHTFITER helped me complete the task, and share a find, and when I am old and poor I will always remember this:
3,488 miles - $568.002
oil changes - $78.003
hotel rooms - $348.0018
Sonic stops - $88.00
15cases water – $48.00
88 caching hours – Very Expensive
Arkansas State Park Memories – Priceless So in return, I encourage others to take up the challenge to experience Arkansas and enjoy the journey. Remember there is no finish line, memories can be created as long as the parks exist. I left an unactivated Cache Me If You Can and took one Arkansas State Park Coin.

Great Log. I will have to meet her one day. I hope soon.
Just thought I would share it with everyone.

searcykid
08-12-2008, 06:56 AM
Congrtulations to netinator on finishing the Arkansas Parkscache challenge.

Sounds like Netinator enjoyed the Traveling Arkansas adventure. Someday maybe I too will be able to sign the grande finale log but not for a while.

In the few Parks that I have visited I have found the Parks staff to be very informative, helpful and willing to discuss anything you want to talk about.
I have also found the other geocachers to be the same. I hope to meet this Memphis cacher along the trail and I would like to Invite them to come to the Searcy's Second Annual Meet & Greet on September 27th, 2008

ExtremeTrek
08-18-2008, 08:53 PM
I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet:

http://www.thedailycitizen.com/articles ... /top01.txt (http://www.thedailycitizen.com/articles/2008/08/17/news/top_stories/top01.txt)

Gold at the end of the e-rainbow

Geocacher solves state park challenge

By Warren Watkins

The Daily Citizen

Geocachers across the state, including Searcy's own Pat Vaughn, are putting their skills to the test in a contest sponsored by the Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism.

The retired electric utility lineman visited all 52 state parks in the Arkansas State Parks ParkCache Challenge. Vaughn got interested in geocaching in May 2003 when his global positioning unit (GPS) caught his attention again.

“I had a GPS before geocaching and after I retired I just threw it in a drawer and forgot about it,” Vaughn said. “One day I pulled it out and said, ‘I'm going to do something with this.'”

A search of the Internet led Vaughn to Geocaching.com, where those interested in the hobby can find clues to locations of caches hidden around the world.

“It's been a whirlwind ever since,” Vaughn said.

The Arkansas State Parks ParkCache Challenge features cache pages for all 52 state parks, with a clue in each cache that gives the coordinates for the grand finale.

“The difficulty of actually finding each cache was not that hard, but some of the terrain was really tough,” Vaughn said. “Daisy State Park, southwest of Hot Springs, involved walking almost a mile and a half in 100-degree weather and several elevation changes. It was the most difficult one for me. But once you got in there, there was a fantastic view, well worth the effort of getting in there.”

After the challenge was announced and placed online a month ago, Vaughn found 20 caches, located a few at a time.

“For the last 32, I took three days and just went after them. It was extremely fun,” Vaughn said. “Something I promised myself I would do for some time was to visit all the state parks in Arkansas, and this gave me an incentive to do it. Now I want to go back and take my time and revisit some of those great areas.”

The response to the Arkansas State Parks' ParkCache Challenge has far exceeded expectations, according to Joe Jacobs, manager of marketing and revenue for the Arkansas State Parks.

“The challenge went live on July 14 and in four weeks we have had 550 finds, which is an average of more than 10 per park,” Jacobs said. “We have had four ‘finishers' who found all the clues in the 52 ParkCaches and were able to locate the 53rd and final cache.”

For information on geocaching in an Arkansas State Park and the ParkCache Challenge, go to ArkansasStateParks.com/things-to-do/geocaching/. For information on the Arkansas Geocachers Association visit ArkGeocaching.org.

Vaughn was impressed by the quality of Arkansas' state parks compared to those in other states, especially in maintenance and diversity.

“We've got ‘em blown away. Our state parks are far above any other state park I've been in, and I've been in state parks in Texas, Oklahoma and Mississippi,” Vaughn said. “From Queen Wilhelmena State Park to Mt. Magazine State Park, where they have beautiful views, over to Hampson Archeological Museum in Wilson, where it's flat but they have some of the biggest cypress trees you'll ever see in your life, the staff went out of their way to help us in any way they could.”

Vaughn said he drove over 1,000 miles in his quest, and that his favorite state parks were Mount Magazine, Lake Ouachita, Devil's Den and Withrow Springs.

Part of an informal local geocaching group, Vaughn is working with others to plan the second annual geocaching “Meet and Greet” event at Riverside Park in Searcy, to be held Saturday, Sept. 27 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. The event will feature contests, prizes and classes on software used in geocaching. Last year geocachers drove from as far away as Memphis to participate.

ExtremeTrek
08-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Just wanted to take a second and let everyone know that I presented an update on the ParkCache Challenge to the Parks and Tourism Commission last week. I read a few of the comments from the cache sites. I let them know that we have had over 650 finds in the past 6 weeks. This is a success because of the help and patience that the members of the Arkansas Geocachers Association have shown. We still have work to do. I think some of the containers will need to be replaced, I need to work with some of the parks on making sure the caches stay full and I will continue to put out more cons in the final cache.

One thing that has come out of all this is we have some parks that are getting more into it. Look for some really cool hides at Cane Creek State Park soon.

So far 3 of the geocoins have been recorded as picked up and one has made it to a new cache outside the state. I believe we have had 4 finishers but only 3 coins picked up? That's odd. Please record them and send them on their ways. I can't wait to see how far they go.

Thanks again and I'll see you out there (unless you think I'm a muggle and you go into stealth mode.)

cachemates
08-29-2008, 06:15 PM
ExtremeTrek---AKA Arkansas State Parks
You mentioned some of the containers needed to be replaced in the Park Caches! I can get you 50 cal ammo cans for $1.00 each. They do have some rust on them but are like new inside. They make great cache containers.
If interested let me know.
Jerry

ExtremeTrek
09-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks. Let me talk to the parks about it.

ExtremeTrek
09-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Congrats to Buzzard Skanly! The latest to find the Grand Finale!

cfd29
09-21-2008, 05:03 PM
ExtremeTrek, Arkansas State Parks

We just got back from a trip in NW Arkansas and found the Hobbs State Park Cache, It really needs some help, the container has a couple of holes in it already and some really bad cracks.
Main thing though, there are no clue numbers in the cache!
I am on the log, you can check, but is there anyway you could email me the number clues for that cache? Someone really needs to put out a new container and get the clues in there, as the weather gets better, I am sure there will be more cachers like us out seeking this one
Thanks so much...

CFD29

ChuckWalla
09-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Although this is a good way to notify the State Parks, you should also post a "Needs Maintenance" log (in addition to your Found It log) against the cache. This flags other geocachers that there is a problem with the cache if they don't read your log.

Chuck Walla

ExtremeTrek
09-22-2008, 05:59 AM
Chuck's correct. (dontcha hate that he's always right?)

I got the notification yesterday and will have someone check on it today. I get notification on every ParkCache so if you drop a note I'll get it. Some of the pars also subscribe to the caches in their parks so they can keep up with them.

cfd29
09-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks, I will post that

ExtremeTrek
10-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Congratulations to likestocanoe and crew on finishing the ParkCache Challenge. That makes seven finishers that I know of.

10-21-2008, 11:59 AM
We were not the first to find on these GREAT caches, but we did have a wonderful time. Thank you for these caches and the fun that you gave us together.

OldRiverRunner
11-06-2008, 09:11 PM
I found the Hobbs State Park ParkCache today and now I know why cfd29 couldn't find the clue for the Grand Finale in the cache. There are actually 2 caches at the hiding site! I spotted one very quickly, but the container was cracked and the contents, including the log, were wet. There were no clues for the Grand Finale, and the logsheet had CFD29's signature. So I knew that there must be another cache somewhere close by, based upon recent logs posted against the cache. Sure enough, after a little looking, I found it. It was hidden quite well!

I suspect that the first cache I found is "illegal"; i.e., hidden without a park permit and not published on Geocaching.com. I thought about removing it and packing it out, but I decided not to, since it was not mine and I felt that only the State Park employees had the authority to do that. So I relocated the first cache about 15 feet so that it is now within 4 feet of the "real" ParkCache. Hopefully, this will help future cache hunters avoid the mistake of thinking the illegal one is the real one.

ExtremeTrek
11-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks ORR, I'll have the park check into it.

OldRiverRunner
11-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Hey ExtremeTrek, I stopped by the Petit Jean ParkCache today, while doing some maintenance on one of mine on the mountain. I had a couple of TB's and a geocoin that I had been holding for too long and I figured a ParkCache would be a good place to get them in circulation quickly. I was shocked to find the cache missing! The camo is still there, with the clues for the final cache, but the container with the logbook and trade items is missing. From the other logs (which I had not read before my trip there today), it looks like the container has been gone for a while. Can you contact the Park Office and have them fix this? I've posted a Needs Maintenance against the cache. Thanks. -- ORR

P.S. I'm still holding the TB's and geocoin! :(

ExtremeTrek
11-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Step ahead of you. I talked to the interpreter who is handling the cache and he has already fixed it. I just haven't had time yet to post a note to that effect.

It hasn't been gone that long since we have other logs of it. Trying to manage 52 of these things is another part-time job but we are trying to get to them as fast as we can. Thanks for the heads up sorry it wasn't there when you went. I'll post something as soon as I get verification from the park interpreter.

OldRiverRunner
11-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Trying to manage 52 of these things is another part-time job but we are trying to get to them as fast as we can.

I am willing to volunteer my services to help with one or more of the ParkCaches in my area. I could help with Lake Dardanelle (only 1 mile from where I live), Mt. Nebo, and Petit Jean. Any or all. I'm sure that other ArkGeo members would also be willing to help out. This would be a great service project for us! Let me know if you want me to help out and who to contact.

Old River Runner

Spice
11-19-2008, 06:39 PM
I could help with Mount Magazine if needed. I guess I need to find it first :wink:

ExtremeTrek
11-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks all....

The best thing to do is to contact the park superintendent at any park you would like to help with. Right now in most parks they have a person assigned to taking car of the ParkCache. The only one's I take care of are Jenkins Ferry (which I would love some help with) and the grand finale (which I better keep to myself unless someone who has finished the whole thing would like to help)

The parks are always looking for people who can volunteer in various ways. If you need a contact name, phone number or email address or are having problems getting in touch with someone at a park, please let me know.

Thanks again for working with the parks.

ExtremeTrek
11-26-2008, 08:27 AM
We have a new deal online! Arkansas State Parks now has a Facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... 5&ref=name (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1075237645&ref=name)

We are also members of the Geocaching.com group on Facebook. Check it out.

rklmbl
12-02-2008, 04:03 PM
A big CONGRATULATIONS to AR-HICK for completing the State Park Challenge this afternoon!!!!! Way to go, Mike!

bluesybreeze
12-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Woo-Hoo! Ar-Hick! Way to go! Congrats on the accomplishment.

Nukeworker
12-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Wow!!! What an accomplishment, AR Hick. Congratulations, Nukeworker and Racquetball Girl

OldRiverRunner
12-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Congratulations Mike! :D I knew you were racking up the state park caches lately, but I had no idea you were that close! Great job!

oenavigator
12-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Incredible!! Fantastic!! Magnifico!!!

What dedication. Any man who would brave a Havana burrito to complete this series deserves an award of some kind. Way to go Mike!

AR-HICK
12-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Lots of miles driven for this one and I am glad that I got it done before the end of the year.

Thanks for all the encouragement from everyone.

If you have not visited all the state parks I suggest you start. It was a great experience and I will have to go back and stay a little longer in most of them. Missed a few caches along the way :oops:

Had a great time, THANKS.

Mike AR-Hick

cfd29
12-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Congrats, I know some of them are a ways off, we are still working at it..

ExtremeTrek
12-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Sorry I haven't been on here for a few days. Congrats to Mike! His post on the Grand Finale has been shared with all at the Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism. We really appreciate all our friends. See you in a park!

Woodwalker9
12-05-2008, 10:19 AM
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/woodwalker9/hillbilly.gif Yahoooooo!
Congratulations to my good buddyhttp://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/woodwalker9/Bumpkin.jpg AR-HICK for finishing this great cache challenge.

Way to go guy.http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/woodwalker9/hands19.gif

Woodwalker9
01-21-2009, 11:47 AM
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/woodwalker9/anim_hiker1.gifMy very good friend, hikerron, has done it. After working so hard for the last 7 months making trips to different parts of the state, he has completed the Arkansas State Park's parkcache challenge and found the Grand Finale. Way to go Ron. Hats off to you buddy.http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/woodwalker9/captain.gif

searcykid
01-21-2009, 12:51 PM
A HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to Hikerron on this great accomplishmnet.
I know he has had a wonderful time in pursuit of these caches and has seen some of the most outstanding spots in our great state.

I have only found 17 of the ParkCache caches and my new years resoulution in geocaching to to complete this challenge before the end of the year.

Great Job Hikerron

idratherbehiking
01-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Congratulations Ron on your achievement. I am hoping to get started on this series soon myself. I have only found 2 so far and need to get this done before the parks department decides not to continue this series. It will probably be a while before they decide to do that but I don't want to wait much longer.

ButterflyDiver
01-21-2009, 05:44 PM
CONGRATS TO HIKERRON!!

Since we only recently decided to make the ParkCaches a priority, we know the time, energy, & effort that completing this series takes.

Congrats again! It is quite an accomplishment!

Brenda

AR-HICK
01-21-2009, 06:19 PM
My friend HikerRon, I was begining to wonder how long it was going to take you to find them all :?: Now I understand you were stopping to smell the Roses, my cache buddy was not near as good looking as yours :lol: I guess that makes you smarter than me or luckier. You also picked up a lot more caches and Benchmarks than I did on my trip thru Arkansas.
CONGRADULATIONS on completeing the task and glad you got to see all the different and wonderful places in this state. I don't have a favorite Park, I just want to go back and see more of all of them 8)
As a friend told me you will never look at those brown park signs the same way again. Glad that you were able to finish before you got too old :lol:
CONGRADULATIONS My friend on a task completed, hope you enjoyed it.

HikerRon
01-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Dadgummit, y'all are gonna make me blush.....:)

rklmbl
01-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Our congratulations to

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/vert_caver/hiker__walkingA.gif

Ron

on his hike around the state parks.

AR-HICK
01-24-2009, 11:02 PM
A big CONGRATULATIONS toarkfiremedic finding The Grade Finale.
I think it is neat how so many people get so much from this wonderful series. I liked how you expressed what you got out of doing these caches.
Hope to meet you soon.

Woodwalker9
01-25-2009, 11:05 AM
CONGRATULATIONS arkfiremedic http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/woodwalker9/PixProdCU-380A.jpg on finding the Grand Finale cache. It's great to see more people completing this fantastic challenge and I'm looking
forward to meeting you very soon. http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/woodwalker9/firetruck.gif

ButterflyDiver
01-27-2009, 08:09 PM
CONGRATS to you, ARKFIREMEDIC!!

We signed many logbooks just below your name, so we knew that you must be close to The Grande Finale!!

Hope to see you out on the trails of Arkansas!

arkfiremedic
01-30-2009, 07:09 PM
Thank you all. We had a blast with the ParkCache challenge. I was kinda sad last Saturday because I finished it and the DeLorme on the same day and it was like....well what now. While we were at it we found 72 of the 75 counties so I guess we can finish that. (I told my wife I was now working on the 50 state challenge and I only had 42 left... :lol:. Needless to say she seemed like she didn't like the idea too well :( ) I am looking forward to meeting many of you down here in my neck of the woods in about two weeks.

Woodwalker9
01-31-2009, 11:21 PM
A huge congratulations to my very good friend sjclimber http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/woodwalker9/rockclimb.gif on completing the Arkansas State Parks ParkCache Challenge and finding the Grand Finale today. Great job Reid and way to go.

SJClimber
02-01-2009, 04:52 PM
The challenge is complete, but my skill of writing the correct numbers is pitiful. Thanks to Ron, Pat and Justin for reviewing my numbers and getting me on track. Though the adventure is over, it sure was an enlightening experience. There are many parks to which I will return just because of this trip. Cannot wait until more miles are added to the Heritage rail to trail project. Imagine biking through the White River WMA.. Well, thanks again, it was fun.

arkfiremedic
02-01-2009, 05:12 PM
And now there are 11 of us. Congratulations. You are welcome, I'm glad I could help.

Woodwalker9
02-02-2009, 06:55 AM
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/woodwalker9/congratstext.gif to my good buddy Rhone for becoming the 12th cacher to find the Grand Finale cache. http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/woodwalker9/goodjob.gif

ExtremeTrek
02-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Geocachers are going nuts on the series right now! This past week was even bigger than Thanksgiving week. Obviously the weather has helped out the central and southern parks. We still have a few closings we are dealing with but hings are getting better.

As a thanks for your participation in the ParkCache Challenge I wanted to share this video with you.

Random Beauty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbdGRtF0vec)

Thanks Again!

cfd29
02-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Wow, that is an awesome video, and to think, all those places are in OUR STATE!! We knocked out 9 more parks this last weekend, will try for more this next weekend if the weather holds out.

It is great to see the videos and pictures now, and say, "hey we have been there" :D

Thanks

arkfiremedic
02-16-2009, 11:09 PM
Thank you ExtremeTrek for the video post. We watched the other ones as well. Makes me want to complete the challenge all over. 2Ter told me today as she found the South Arkansas Arboretum cache that she wanted her own coin. She is six. I think it would be great to complete the challenge all over again with her since she didn't make the majority of the parks. She could be the first - "second generation" finder!!! Thanks again.

AR-HICK
02-24-2009, 06:45 AM
It looks like the dynamic duo ofButterflydiver andDeepdiverdave have found the Grande Finale.

Congratulations on your many visits to the State Parks of Arkansas.

Woodwalker9
02-25-2009, 04:25 AM
Congratulations http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/woodwalker9/rgmonarch3_e0.gif butterflydiver and
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/woodwalker9/Scuba.gif deepdiverdave on finding The Grand Finale cache.

Outstanding job guys.

grzz51
02-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Looks like we're getting enough members for a party :D

arkfiremedic
02-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Congratulations to Butterflydiver and Deepdiverdave for completing the challenge. Did someone say party time???

arkfiremedic
03-14-2009, 05:56 AM
Congratulations to lisaann1 for completing her journey. She asked for a pat on the back and I think she deserves one.

gingerose
03-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Just watched the video. It was great. I recognized some places and can't wait to see some of the others. :D

Woodwalker9
03-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Congratulations to lisaann1 for completing the Arkansas State Parks ParkCache challenge and finding The Grand Finale. Great job.

arkfiremedic
03-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Congratulations to ronwhite for completing the ParkCache Series and 1000 finds.

arkfiremedic
07-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Congratulations to Mathseeker for completing the ParkCache Challenge and 2000 finds.... Wow you have been busy this summer. :D :D :D

edieo
07-28-2009, 03:35 AM
Way to go Mathseeker!!!!!!!! :lol:

arkfiremedic
07-23-2010, 10:16 AM
First and foremost congratulations to CFD29, Gingerose, "Cachemates", and Edieo on completing the challenge.

Second, Louisiana has 'borrowed' the idea from Arkansas and the Louisiana State Park Challenge is set to go any day now. Reportedly a FTF prize worth $800 is awaiting along with limited edition Geocoins await those who find 40 caches in Louisiana and then the finale.

I don't know if I could ever have as much fun as I did on the Arkansas one because it is my 'home' state and our parks are so very diverse, but have been anxiously awaiting the chance to do it again 'south of the border'.

QuartzCachers
07-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Can ya do 'em all on crutches? :lol: :lol: :lol:

arkfiremedic
07-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Can ya do 'em all on crutches? :lol: :lol: :lol:I've been released and went back to work Tuesday. I'm good to go! Wanna go? You've been keepin' a low profile lately and I'd welcome some company. I figure I can complete the Louisiana Delorme, Louisiana Parish Challenge, and Louisiana State Park Challenge in give or take a four day weekend. 8O I know how you like to power cache! :lol: :lol: :lol:

grzz51
07-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Sounds like another to be had :lol:

edieo
07-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Good luck Justin ,,,I know you can do it ,,I just got a new Kayak today if you need to borrow it ,,,lol

arkfiremedic
07-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Good luck Justin ,,,I know you can do it ,,I just got a new Kayak today if you need to borrow it ,,,lolI might! I've been looking for one. Where did you get it?

edieo
07-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Academy Sports ...Had it in the water in less then thirty minutes after buying it ..lol

QuartzCachers
07-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Wanna go? You've been keepin' a low profile lately and I'd welcome some company.
Sounds good, but no four day weekends for me anytime soon. Luckily, we are back working hard building cabinets, and with school just ending for the summer just in time to get started back up for the fall, I forsee not much in the way of leisure activity for me anytime soon. Ah well.... :( :( :(

Ashallond
07-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Hey quick question. I'm going up to Nebo tomorrow, and want to snag that parkcache, but I've never been.

What trail is that one on, and where's the trailhead? the satellite pictures don't make that very clear.

edieo
07-28-2010, 01:37 PM
It's the Bench Trail and the parking lot is right off the main Highway
You can't miss it .

Ashallond
07-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks!