Thread: Ouachita National Recreation Trail

LadyEngineer Guest

Ouachita National Recreation Trail

Has anyone read the Health & Fitness section of today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette? I was wondering if a group of use might be interested in adopting one or more of the parentless sections. I'm thinking if we show how much the trails mean to us cachers that we might get support from the US Forest Service on placing caches. If they support us that would help our cases with the Game and Fish and the Heritage Commission. What do you guys think?

Here is the article on line: http://epaper.ardemgaz.com/Daily/Skins/Arkansas/

deltadawn Guest
    I agree that this seems to be a viable option, the only concern I would have in any "adoption" would be the longterm commitment. I have been involved with various groups in the past and the problem becomes the commitment over time seems to wane and the group is held accountable. I would have no problem chipping in for a day to do trail maintenance, but I don't want to have to be responsible for a specific section of trail year round.

I think an annual trash pick-up where we can concentrate our efforts on specific parks for a weekend and document the activity and not be responsible for that specific park for the rest of the year is the way to go. I also want to mention the fact that CITO is a basic tennent of the geocaching code and want to stress that we ALL should be doing this every time we go caching.

I REALLY BELIEVE in leaving the parks/woods/trails better than when we found them, and think that commiting to CITO is important. Remember, we are hiding caches with contents that many, not in tune with the caching activity, think are a trash of sorts in the first place. It kind of de-fangs any critics of caching and cachers for "sponsoring" a "world-wide garbge depot" when they see cachers are usually the only people depositing bags of trash which they did not generate in the proper recepticles. I think sticking with CITO efforts is the way to go, I would participate in any positive outdoor activity, but like the idea of an organized CITO effort. I will now back away from the stump and discontinue my diatribe. Remember this is only my .02 worth and will be happy to participate in anything that is decided upon.

thenaturenurd Guest

why not do it by section?

Well I know that ARGeo is divided into sections. Why not each section of our beloved organization identify several areas that need help. I can name a handful right off the bat of caches in the area that need constant attention why not take that statewide and each section identify areas that need help.

Then from that people go out and have an option of area to take care of in their area. Maybe not adopt an area fully but have scheduled CITO days more than just once a year.

I agree with you delta...interest wanes over time but thats human nature. Anyone else with ideas...chime in...

Craig

What a great Idea I Mtn bike ont this trail. I'm game on an area close to me.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

GEO Guest
    I like the regional idea we could have them on diiferent days for more events and more clean ups.

Here is a regional map.

walkingshadow Guest
    You can count me in. I have heard it is a twice a year cleanup and clearing of the trail.

walkingshadow and red

rock_hound Guest
    I think some of you are missing the point here. What LE is proposing is as much a PR move, as it is an effort to help the trail. We may be able to have a sign on our section of the trail. If "our" section was centrally located I think a lot of people would show up. Everyone would get to log a CITO event as well. I think it is a great idea!!

PS Congrats to LE for hitting the 100 mark. I too hit 100 at the event last weekend.

thenaturenurd Guest

PR Gooddddddddd...

Nothing wrong with PR...wouldnt we have even more PR if we had 3-4 or maybe 5 CITOs going? Centrally located doesnt mean its the easiest for everyone to attend. Why not have a few CITOs going on in diff parts of the state? I for one will spend most of my day driving if I am coming to/from the Little Rock area. Its a good three hours for me. I know of plenty of areas within and hours drive that need help. Just my .02 worth...

Craig
    Huntsville, AR

I think we should do one in each Reoion of the state. That would mean that there would be atleast 5 CITO's going and some cachers would only have to drive an hour or 2 tops.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

LadyEngineer Guest
    I think two threads have gotten interwined here.

The Cito event thread is still open and you can find it at http://www.arkgeocaching.org/modules...154dfc46bbd99c. Please see my comments about that type of event there.

I was hoping that this thread would be more along the lines of a long term activity for us in a particular location. A place in Arkansas that everyone knew ArkGeocachers had a hand in keeping natural, but it was just a suggestion. From the discussion so far, I'm not seeing too many interested in that type of project.