Thread: Pocket Query Issues

kittzle Guest

Pocket Query Issues

Ok, I know I can be really blonde somedays, but that's beside the point...

Pocket Queries and I aren't getting along lately, and I can't figure out why. Today for instance, trying to update my GPSr via GSAK for this afternoon. All I want is a simple query that shows me the new caches from March 10-March 22. But every time I update the info in my query is says "Thanks! Your query has been modified You can preview the search on the nearest cache page."

I go and change minor details, and it still says the same. I can't get it to say it is generated. I wish there were a button that said "Save Changes" and a button that said "Generate New Query" that would be so much less frustrating! (And yes, I'm checking one of the buttons up top that say run and uncheck or run every day). After 6 tries and still getting the modified message and not the generated message, I give up

Anyone else have these issues? What's the magic button that makes them generate?????????

nonnipoppy Guest
    First I am not an expert on how things are done at GC.com. I do believe that submitting the PQ actually schedules it to be sent whenever the GC.com PQ server gets to your qurey.

I have read that a PQ that you just submit takes priority over one that you schedule and receive on a regular basis. ......poppy

Yes, I believe the queries are queued up and generated on a first come, first served basis. I'm almost certain I've read somewhere that one-time queries get precedence over queries that run on a set schedule, but even then, they are not instantaneous. I've had one-time queries take over 24 hours to show up in my mailbox.

I'm with you, I'd like it to be a little quicker, but I understand that GC.com has limitations on the hardware required to handle the thousands (or even hundreds of thousands) of queries generated every day...

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    It has been my observation that whenever a pocket query says modified it has been submitted. In fact, it can't be modified without being submitted - the changes will revert back to what they were. So when it says 'modified' the results that come up in the preview are what will eventually wind up in your inbox - maybe. The reason for the maybe is the limits on how ofter you can run queries. You are limited to 5 queries per day and each query can only be run once per day.

So you should get a file in your inbox for the first time you modified a query. If you modified the same query again but did not change the day for it to run, I believe it will be discarded. To run 5 queries in one day you need to have 5 different queries, each with a unique name.

I have run queries scheduled for the same day and the results showed up in my inbox in just a few minutes. Other times it has taken hours. It this point you have to just sit back and wait.

I'm still learning the in's and out's of pocket querys also. But I have found out that it helps to check the box for the current day of the week. If today is thrusday, then check thursday. Then check the bullet beside "Uncheck the day of the week after the query runs" so that it will schedule it to run on whatever day you put it on. If you doing all that and it still isn't arriving in your inbox after 24 hours make sure your "Compress files into *.zip format (recommended)" is checked. It recomends that this is checked because some e-mail addresses block .loc and .gpx files.

Good luck.

Jason

kittzle Guest
    I'm also learning you have to have this thing called Patience? Not sure what that's about... It's certainly not in my dictionary

The day I was so frustrated, I eventually got an email with my query So you just have to hold your mouth right, say the magic word, and hope it's your day, LOL.

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    As far as I know there is no limit on the number of queries you can create. If you run a query and don't get the results you wanted, you cannot run it again until the next day, or until after it runs if you scheduled it for a later date. So create a new query and try again. You get 5 tries each day but it must be 5 different queries.

Tomorrow you can start at the top of the list again. Modify the first query, hold your mouth right, say the magic word and submit it. Then move on to the next query.

I've got probably 15 queries created and named according the city it is centered on. The cities are scattered around the state. Each is set to download the maximum 500 caches. So within a week I can refresh my entire GSAK database with current data. Or if I am going to a particular area I choose the appropriate query and run it.

RugerPilot345 Guest
    I did a Pocket Query last night (ha ha my nightime in Kuwait, only 85 more days to go) and literally before I could hit the submit button and toggle to my email page to check for new mail it was in my INBOX....WOW guess I was living right huh!! ha ha!!

Cool!!