Thread: Another type of Treasure Hunt

cad-guy Guest

Another type of Treasure Hunt

mods.....please feel free to move to another forum if this is not in the correct one.

My family and I love caching. We don't have a ton of finds, but feel like we are doing pretty good. We don't have much free time, but get out as often as we can.

For those of you familiar with Tim Earnst, the outstanding Arkansas nature photographer, he has a book of waterfalls in the state. Within this book, are gps coordinates of the falls locations. We enjoy the more "primitive" hikes to get to the falls, and we alway log our "find" in Tims book after we have found the falls. I highly recommend everyone trying this. Although there is no cache at the end of the hike, there is definately "treasure from God" that you will find! Most falls are incredibly beautiful, even if the water in not flowing strong. Some hikes are pretty treacherous, but always pay off in the end.

Anyway....I thought some of you adventurers that were not familiar with this book would be interested....

Mike

My brother-in-law has this book, too. We've gone with him to find a few waterfalls and the trip has been worth it every time! I'll second the recommendation to get this book, especially if you enjoy the more scenic areas of the Natural State...

By the way, we've noticed that several of the waterfalls DO have caches near them, so be sure to check before you head out!

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

I got this book when it was first published before I started geocaching. I have found about half of the waterfalls in the book. Many of them I have been back to since I started caching. Last Saturday after Flannelman's hike Nonnipoppy, Golfnutz, and I found the Hudson Shelter Falls cache. After leaving there on my way home I decided to go over to the Haw Creek area to find the three caches there. Two of which were hiddden at waterfalls. Pam's Grotto is a beautiful area that no one should miss. Pack Rat Falls is very nice and also has another smaller waterall upstream a couple of hundred yards. These are really tough areas to get into but like many other spots in the Ozarks they are well worth the hike. If you want to read about Tim's adventures when putting together this waterfall guidebook then check out his website at http://www.cloudland.net/currentjournal.html click on the archives link and look at Spring 2002. He has lots of pictures posted along with his experiences photographing and even measuring all of the falls. Good luck finding the falls. If any one knows of some good waterfalls not in his book I would love to have the coordinates or directions to them.

One of the ones listed in the book that we have really enjoyed is Tea Kettle Falls, located in the Madison County Wildlife Management area. (No cache)

cad-guy Guest
    funny you should mention that one.....we camped at Withrow Springs last weekend and hiked to Tea Kettle falls. A beautiful hike and pretty easy w/ kids. (although it was pretty dry)

Mike