Thread: TB Ettiquette

Phantom_491 Guest

TB Ettiquette

I have a question about the logging of TBs.

If you find a TB in a cache that hasn't been logged into the cache on GC.com, What do you do?

I personally wait up to a week to give the current holder of the TB time to log it into the cache. I also check where the cacher is from, and When the last time they were on GC.com. If the person is from out of state and is just passing through, I might be inclined to wait longer.

The reason I am asking is because I dropped a bug off yesterday afternoon, and the cacher whp came behind me grabbed the bug, before I had the chance to log it into the cache. Now this person was a newbie, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt, but I wanted some others opinions on this matter.

southdeltan Guest
    This is one of the problems with travelbugs. You hide a bug in a cache, and before you get home somebody grabs it and logs it.

Now, a lot of people, including experienced people, may not realize the bugs not in the cache yet. It's confusing and I've noticed that only a few people catch on.

Regardless - you can never control what's going to happen - this is why somebody told me to always write down the bugs number. If somebody logs the bug before you can - log it - then send the person an email via geocaching.com explaining what happened and telling them they need to regrab the bug.

Most new players are very glad to get any advice, just make sure you're constructive when you give it

southdeltan

Never really thought about it when logging a found TB, although I can see where this could really play havoc with a TBs milage. When you record a TB find, isn't it apparent that you are grabbing it from a cache rather than from another cacher? It's been a while since we logged one, but if that's the case, and it was still in someone's posession, I'd probably give them a few days to see if they log it into the cache.
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Phantom_491 Guest

Grabbing TBs

Quote Originally Posted by Gaddiel
    Never really thought about it when logging a found TB, although I can see where this could really play havoc with a TBs milage. When you record a TB find, isn't it apparent that you are grabbing it from a cache rather than from another cacher? It's been a while since we logged one, but if that's the case, and it was still in someone's posession, I'd probably give them a few days to see if they log it into the cache.
    If the TB is in a cache the option is to Retrieve it from a cache.

If the TB is in someones possession, then the option is Grabbad from that person.

It's a subtle difference, but can mean something to the TB owner, Especially if the TBs goal is to visit every cache in state X or something similar. If Person B just grabs it before person A can log it into that cache, then it won't get the credit for that cache.

LadyEngineer Guest
    Being a TB owner doesn't sound as enjoyable as I thought it would be. I was reading on groundspeak forum about the TB graveyard and how some people just take them because their kids want to keep them. It really takes the fun out of putting them out there. My girls really like to find them but they understand they have to let them go because it's the rules of the game. Their 6 and 4 and they get the rules. They got a TB a piece that we haven't dispatched yet and I'm leaning to not after what I've read. They really want to see where they go with the intent of getting them back after they reach their goal and since so many are taking it upon themselves to just keep them. I don't want to see my girls disappointment. I mean theres a risk factor of the cache floating away or being muggeled. That I'm okay with but other cachers taking them. That's just not acceptable.

Sorry. I'll get off that soapbox now.

I don't have that problem I log it right after I drop it, Wait thats because I am a gadget DUDE I have a Cingular PC card in my laptop that gives me internet access in my cache truck. Isn't the 21st century great who would have thought "Surfing the internet while driving down the road" BANG !!!!!!CRASH !!!!!!!!!THUD!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOPPPPPS!!!!!!!! Got to go the cops are here and want to use my laptop to file the report.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

RuffRidr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by arkansas_stickerdude
    I don't have that problem I log it right after I drop it, Wait thats because I am a gadget DUDE I have a Cingular PC card in my laptop that gives me internet access in my cache truck. Isn't the 21st century great who would have thought "Surfing the internet while driving down the road" BANG !!!!!!CRASH !!!!!!!!!THUD!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOPPPPPS!!!!!!!! Got to go the cops are here and want to use my laptop to file the report.
    I've got to see this setup of yours sometime. It sounds pretty kickass.

--RuffRidr

Ruffridr I'm always in your neck of the woods so email me sometime and we can get together so you can see it. Also the CITO and Meet and Greet is comming up this weekend in sallisaw,ok here is the cache page http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...3-a70860785b71

GEO Guest
    I have it's awesome,can't wait to be a techy DUDE too,$$$$$
    one of thes days,just about got this computer paid off then it's a laptop.

oh i am finally back

Quote Originally Posted by RuffRidr
    Quote Originally Posted by arkansas_stickerdude
    I've got to see this setup of yours sometime. It sounds pretty kickass.

--RuffRidr

GEO where have you been