Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ticks & Chiggers

Harleyhogs Guest

Ticks & Chiggers

Well here I am after another day of caching, and I am still picking off
    ticks and will most likely have some chiggers appearing in the morning.
    Does anyone have any good solutions to keep these critters off....thank

southdeltan Guest
    Bug spray with Deet. "Deep Woods Off", Cutter, and Repel (it's the Walmart brand I beleive) are some brand names. I use Repel 29%. There's no real need to go over 30 percent, but they do make some that is 100% (It's actually like 99%). The only drawback to deet is it will eat plastic, so don't spray it on your hands if you plan to handle expensive electronic devices.... That being said I've never personally "melted" anything with deet.

Spray it all over yourself, clothes included (contrary to some reports, it does not have to come in contact with human skin to work).

There's also the perethrin based spray Permanone. You spray this ONLY on clothes and let it dry onto the clothes - then you wear. I haven't used it but I've heard good things.

Both of these can be found at outdoors stores and Wal-Mart.

I use Deet. It has a proven record and works for me.

southdeltan

No question, according to several reports I've read: Deet is the way to go. It works by "masking" your body's smell so that the mosquitos can't home in on you. I've used it for years with consistent results. Works on mosquitos, ticks, chiggers, almost anything you can name. For tick and chigger protection, spray liberally on your shoes and legs.

The only thing I don't like about deet is that it stings a little on sensitive areas like the neck. Otherwise, I highly recommend it.

I, too, have heard of very good results with perethrin, but have never used it.
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

I swear by DEET I bought from Kmart a package that had 2 29% sprays and one package of 30% DEET wipes for $10 and the wipes work great. So I bought an extra package of wipes for the wifes truck from Walmart. I swear by deet for the reason of the MOSQUITO FACTORY CACHE here http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...2-9a5a4eb417b6 This showed me that DEET really works.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

southdeltan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaddiel
    No question, according to several reports I've read: Deet is the way to go. It works by "masking" your body's smell so that the mosquitos can't home in on you.
    Actually, it works by (in layman's terms) scrambling the electrical signals in the mosquito/tick/etc's nervous system Forgive me, Biology Major, Chemisty Minor here.... I wish my organic professor had let me keep that bottle of Deet we made in Organic Lab.... damn liability issues - that was some good stuff 97& pure

Deet Fact Sheet

Incidentally, Mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors and carbon dioxide, among other things.

southdeltan

I heard about the dark colors but was not sure if it was true.

Harleyhogs Guest
    Thanks for all the information. I bought some of the Deep Woods Off and went back to an area where I am planning a cache hide and it looks like it worked. I will keep a can of this in my back pack. Thanks for the tips...happy caching. Harleyhogs

Team Panda Guest
    I prefer Cutter's brand "Skintastic" with DEET personally. I think any of the DEET containing products will probably work about the same, the Skintastic is just a little less repellant to MY nose than it is to the skeeters though.

Be sure to re-apply often if you're out in hot weather as you can sweat the stuff right off of yourself.

I left a small bottle of "Chigarid" Insect Bite Treatment in our "Ridge Runner" cache just in case somebody got out there and NEEDED it.

I should have left some in my newest cache " 1 mosquito, 2 mosquito, 3 mosquito, more"http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...b-9753a65ff3fa Luckwest was the FTF when I arrived I had to get a shotgun to shot the mosquitos to let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by arkansas_stickerdude
    I should have left some in my newest cache " 1 mosquito, 2 mosquito, 3 mosquito, more"http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...b-9753a65ff3fa Luckwest was the FTF when I arrived I had to get a shotgun to shot the mosquitos to let him go.
    Looking at that cache page actually made me chuckle out loud! If we go for this one, I think we'll try it in the winter...
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile