Thread: OT; gas well rules/landowner rights

Q Guest

OT; gas well rules/landowner rights

Wondering if any one over here has any knowledge about where these guys can drill, how far from creeks? I own land in southern Van Buren county and will soon be involved in the lovely aspect of my place being claimed for gas exploration. Wondering if my fields are prime suspects.

Oil/Gas commission

Go to the State O/G commission website. There are helpful documents on rights of both landowners and exploration companies. Check your deed and see if you retain mineral rights. If so, there are companies that gather/purchase rights for the drilling companies. You will hear from them first unless the rights belong to someone else, then you will hear from the drilling company which has purchased the rights. If you own the mineral rights, consider a lease of the rights over a buyout. These are basic generalizations about the process so, again, check out the State agency website. Good luck.

I do income tax returns and have had several folks come in with mineral lease forms. Nice money. I wouldn't sell the rights.