Thread: Garmin Etrac Vista

KD5JNL Guest

Garmin Etrac Vista

I'm looking at buying an Etrac vista not the color version. Can anyone give any input on this model? Any comments welcome.
    Thanks,
    Brice

RugerPilot345 Guest
    I personally do not have one but had dinner with a guy last night who owns one and he loves it.......advanced enough to do anything he wants and he said easy enough for the kids to operate it.....hope this helps a little but.....I know you will get some heavy tech geek responses so I thought I would jump in quickly with a basic thought, ha ha!!

Cool!!

icetoad Guest

not a vista but

I've got a legend non color. It does everything I need it to, (including some stuff the website says it can't do) but i'm kicking myself for not getting either a legend cx or a vista cx. What I like about the vista is that it's geocacher friendly. (there's even a rumor that it was designed by cachers held captive at the garmin factory.)

Actually, it's eTrex, not Etrac. Anyway, I have owned both the orignal Vista model, with a monochromatic display, and the Vista C, with the color display (my current GPSr). I really like this unit, because of its size. And it has all of the features of the larger models. It does everything I need it to do for geocaching and navigating across country. The monochromatic display unit is fine, but I went to the color display model because it was easier to see under certain lighting conditions. That plus the fact that I had a credit that allowed me to get it for almost nothing! This is an excellent unit to get! -- ORR

P.S. You should also spend another $100 or so to get the MapSource Topo software from Garmin, or one of their city street software versions. Although the eTrex Vista units (and other Garmin units) come with basic maps loaded into them, I like the map software because it provides more detail and does not have huge gaps when one gets out in the "boonies".
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

icetoad Guest

map software

I like the topo software, and can't wait to get a color unit with ENOUGH MEMORY ARRRRRRGH (sorry, still can't get used to windoze) to speed up the process a bit and keep the pointer from suddenly becoming a back to pointer instead of forward to.

KD5JNL Guest
    Thanks all for your input. ORR I think your right about the color screen. I just ordered the ETREXventure CX. I have the mapsource topo CD that I bought for my son's 60CS. I contacted Garmin and that version of mapsource will download to the venture CX. They will download to the micro SD cards which I think is a nice feature. Thanks for everyones input.

cajunbat Guest
    I have the ETREXventure CX and the only problem I have had is if you use it for roads when you get to the cache site it is a little erratic and you have to reset it to off road. other than that completely satisfied!

KD5JNL Guest
    Thanks cajunbat. My son's 60cs does the same thing. It took a while to figure out what was going on. A little help from woodwalker9 I figured it out.