Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First day of Geocaching.

Threeamigos Guest

First day of Geocaching.

We(my wife and 5yr. old daughter) started geocashing today. We bought a Garmin etrex and went to lake Kathrene state park. I was suprised at how easy the Etrex was to set up and operate. I'm sure we were within 30 ft of the cache but we just couldn't find it this time. I've found co-ordinates for a few that are not so long of a hike that look a little easier to find so perhaps we'll have better luck next time

RugerPilot345 Guest
    Welcome to the Geocaching Community....the people are great, very friendly and helpful, enjoy this great outdoor and family oriented activity!!

Cool!! (AKA RP345)

Q Guest
    Look for "not natural." Sticks piled up. Rocks laying in a ??manner. Hollow trees and stumps are a favorite. On our first day it was almost 100 degrees, but we were anxious. The second one we did we actually found by the trampled spot in the leaves. A 3 foot circle where you could tell something had flattened the ground cover.

We circle the coordinates looking for possibles. If the gps led you right to it every time, would it be as fun? The kid will love, as you may also, digging thru the larger cans of stuff. We often do not trade, simply dig thru a while, sign in and rehide. Hang in there you will learn.

cupstack Guest
    Welcome. My first few cache finds were little difficult until I figured out what to look for and what not to look for. Sometimes that does not help and luck plays a big part when you just happen to look at the right spot at the right time and think, "Oh! There it is!"

I want to encourage you to attend one or two or all of the upcoming geocaching events. This is a great way to meet fellow cachers and learn more about this great activity. Event details and links are listed on the front page of this web site:

April 14 - (Northeast Arkansas)
    Event Planned: "Honor Thy Father and Thy Mother"

April 21 - (Western Arkansas)
    Event Planned: "Clarksville or Cacheville, You Be the Judge"

April 28 - (Central Arkansas)
    Event Planned: ''Burns Park Cache Bash''

Threeamigos Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerPilot345
    Welcome to the Geocaching Community....the people are great, very friendly and helpful, enjoy this great outdoor and family oriented activity!!

Cool!! (AKA RP345)
    Thanks for the welcome RP! we had a great time just hiking in the woods yesterday!

I'm assuming AKA RP345 is some kind of reference to a cache co-ordinates but I don't know how to access that information...

Threeamigos Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Q
    Look for "not natural." Sticks piled up. Rocks laying in a ??manner. Hollow trees and stumps are a favorite. On our first day it was almost 100 degrees, but we were anxious. The second one we did we actually found by the trampled spot in the leaves. A 3 foot circle where you could tell something had flattened the ground cover.

We circle the coordinates looking for possibles. If the gps led you right to it every time, would it be as fun? The kid will love, as you may also, digging thru the larger cans of stuff. We often do not trade, simply dig thru a while, sign in and rehide. Hang in there you will learn.
    Thanks for the tips Q.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 2a92b3ffac
    (GCH4BT)

It was kinda cool because we did circle the coordinates and I noticed places in the leaves that looked like others had done the same(leave scraped away from the ground and piled up ect.) so I felt like we were in the right spot.

I'll probably go back there by myself because it is a long and steep hike to the coordinates...a pretty good challenge!

Welcome to geocaching!!

I am somewhat of a newbie myself. Starting geocaching this year. I have only found 25 caches to date, but have been sidelined with a broken leg for 5 weeks now.

Some caches are easier to find than others and I am sure you will be hooked on this sport after your first find, as I was.

Those Meet and Greet events coming up sure sound interesting. Maybe I will meet you and your family on April 28th as I hope to attend the Burns Park meet.

Searcykid

Threeamigos Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cupstack
    Welcome. My first few cache finds were little difficult until I figured out what to look for and what not to look for. Sometimes that does not help and luck plays a big part when you just happen to look at the right spot at the right time and think, "Oh! There it is!"

I want to encourage you to attend one or two or all of the upcoming geocaching events. This is a great way to meet fellow cachers and learn more about this great activity. Event details and links are listed on the front page of this web site:

April 14 - (Northeast Arkansas)
    Event Planned: "Honor Thy Father and Thy Mother"

April 21 - (Western Arkansas)
    Event Planned: "Clarksville or Cacheville, You Be the Judge"

April 28 - (Central Arkansas)
    Event Planned: ''Burns Park Cache Bash''
    Thanks for the welcome Cupstack!

I was checking those out earlier! they all look really good but the burns park thing looks the best for us.

Hope to see you there!

The first cache I looked for I didn't find, Stick to large caches for a little while. Look for things that are not normal, pile of sticks, rocks stacked funny, maybe a peice of bark placed in a not so natural way. It only takes a short time to start noticing these things. Start with easy caches difficulty 1-2 and a terrian 1-2 maybe 3.
    Burns park has several of these, and your little one will love them. Be sure to bring trade items.
    Also a copy of the cache page with the past logs sometimes hold a clue, and don't forget the hint. Sometimes you have to find the cache before the hint makes sense.
    You should find it on your next outing.

HAPPY CACHING!
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

Threeamigos Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by searcykid
    Welcome to geocaching!!

I am somewhat of a newbie myself. Starting geocaching this year. I have only found 25 caches to date, but have been sidelined with a broken leg for 5 weeks now.

Some caches are easier to find than others and I am sure you will be hooked on this sport after your first find, as I was.

Those Meet and Greet events coming up sure sound interesting. Maybe I will meet you and your family on April 28th as I hope to attend the Burns Park meet.

Searcykid
    Thanks for the welcome Searcykid!

I can't wait to go out and find my first cache!

Hope to see you at burns park!