Thread: gps selectoin

Willie Guest

gps selectoin

As a newbie,I'm having trouble deciding which GPS to buy. There's just too many different types to choose from.
    I'd like a hand held that I can use in the car with some bells and whistles, but I can't spena a fortune on one either.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to sone good choices?

Willie

Bio-x Guest
    I have a Magellan Meridian Gold and it's done all I can ask it to do. It's even been ran over by my vehicle on the rocks which only caused an interior crack on the screen so it's durable too.

Just make sure that whatever you get is capable of using expanded memory. There's no point in 'limiting' yourself now that there are more options out there.

Pic of my 'cracked' gps:

Rusty_da_dog Guest
    I myself have a Meridian Platinum, basically a step up from the Gold, though I would say either unit would be very nice. You can get a pretty good deal if you watch ebay for a week or two, ,I have bought both my units off Ebay and been very pleased. Also the support from Thales has been great to. I was having problems with my platinum something to do with me dropping it from about 15' onto some rocks, I sent it to them, they fixed it and sent it back to me for free, plus they threw in a car mount.......

So I would give them a vote, though I am sure Garmin probably does the same thing.
    Cya on the trails,
    Rusty

LongDogs Guest

SportTrak Map

I've got a Sport Trak Map, and I'm very happy with it. I like that is it small and tucks into my pocket when not in use.

However, the larger screen of the Meridian models are indeed very nice, as is the ability to add map memory via cards.

I don't use the maps much, for geocaching, though, anyway, and for in-car map based navigation, you really need something more designed for that use, like the expensive RoadWay or StreetPilot models. What is good in a car isn't good for geocaching, and vice versa.

Basically, for geocaching, almost any handheld that gets all 12 channels will work, and almost every unit on the market does that.

WAAS capability is nice, as I've noticed it seems to make my Sport Trak Map more accurate than an older one I use without it. I think the Meridians have that too.

Willie Guest
    Thanks for your suggestions. I believe that you folks have helped make my choice much simpler
    Willie

I have the GPSMAP 60c and it has more bells and whistles than I caa figure out plus a hugh screen and made for caching,plus its color with lots of maps to buy. The only draw back is I bought mine on ebay for $350 but it was worth it.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

LadyEngineer Guest
    I have the GPSMAP 60c and it has more bells and whistles than I caa figure out plus a hugh screen and made for caching,plus its color with lots of maps to buy. The only draw back is I bought mine on ebay for $350 but it was worth it.
    I might be of a little help there with the bells and whistle part. I teach a course on the GPSMAP 76 and from what I have read the 60c doesn't that that many different features. Let me know if you are attending the meet/greet in Burns Park and if you want I'll bring you a course book.

Sweet I plan on going to the Meet and Greet in Little Rock
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

Bio-x Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyEngineer
    Let me know if you are attending the meet/greet in Burns Park and if you want I'll bring you a course book.
    Do you have the link?

Phantom_491 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio-x
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyEngineer
    Let me know if you are attending the meet/greet in Burns Park and if you want I'll bring you a course book.
    Do you have the link?
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... fdc612d2e6