Thread: Newbie GPS research

gerwurz Guest

Newbie GPS research

I discovered this site while doing research for a GPSr purchase. Glad to see so many people in AR active in geocaching. I've searched the Forum & FAQ for info on which GPSr's y'all use. Not a lot of specific info. I currently am leaning toward Magellan explorist units. My introductory question: Does anyone here use one or have any info for a Beginner? I am looking at the 210 (basic) or 500LE (color!)

Thanks,
    Gerwurz

nonnipoppy Guest
    First welcome to the group and we hope you get something worthwhile from us.

As to the brands there are every brand and model known used by the cachers that I have met. But it seems to me that the large majority of them are Garmin. That does not say that the Magellan is not a fine GPSr.

I will say that the GPS accuracy contest at the Clarksville event last April there were only 1 or 2 Maggies in the top 10 and Garmin was in the first 4 places I think.

Good luck and welcome......poppy

Q Guest
    Color screens are good to me. A lot of preference depends on what you plan to use the unit for. I have topos in mine. Work great for me. No street names. I have a Garmin legend C. Is budget a big issue for you? That makes a big difference in what there is to choose from.

I bought a 500LE and took it back because I didn't like the features. You could install a memory card for downloads but its work memory would hold 200 caches. If I was going to by a magellen I would get the 210 for the 22MB of memory. I currently have a 200 and it is a pretty good unit. The next gps that I by will be garmin 60CSx, they do it all I hope. Most cachers carry garmins they seem to be faster at aquiring sats and position and software is more availiable for them. Hope I didn't confuse you to much.
    AR-HICK
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

Q Guest
    Here is a thread from another board. Check out this gps...
    http://www.arkansascanoeclub.com/mb/vie ... php?t=4673

Some more discussion here

http://www.arkansascanoeclub.com/mb/vie ... php?t=3712

gerwurz Guest
    Thanks for everyone's input so far. Now the Garman Legend Cx is sounding good, so I will look into it as well. USE? EXAMPLE: I have done some genealogy off and on over the years. One book I have acquired is a Cemetery Record book for Arkansas County. I have found family members listed in the Book, but sometimes cannot find the cemetery. The Book has a hand drawn "map" of the county with dots marking the "location" of the cemeteries. No roads, no towns, nothing else on the "map". Thought I would locate and record as many of these cemeteries as I could & share with interested parties.

Gerwurz