Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amimated ArkGeocaching.com banners

GEO Guest
    Thankyou for such a fast response.
    I like the animated style.

LD, love the new GC-colored animated banner! Are we ok to use these colors? I know they balked at this the last time we asked about it...
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

LongDogs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaddiel
    LD, love the new GC-colored animated banner! Are we ok to use these colors? I know they balked at this the last time we asked about it...
    Well, the jury is still out on that...
    I probably released it too soon.

I have a tenative "it is probably ok", but not the official word from all the right people. I'm working on it, though.

It isn't the exact same colors, and we have five colors, not four.

I was told its not the colors they don't like its the little person and the flag with the colors in different shapes they don't like. Also as long as your not useing the logo for for sale its ok to use the little person and the exact colors. The TAG group told me about the deal they went through and they said you can use the exact logo IF your not selling anything with it on it,like shirts, mugs,etc...

LD the GC.com logo has white in it also it is the + between the colors, so GC.com also has 5 colors.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arkansas_stickerdude
    I was told its not the colors they don't like its the little person and the flag with the colors in different shapes they don't like. Also as long as your not useing the logo for for sale its ok to use the little person and the exact colors. The TAG group told me about the deal they went through and they said you can use the exact logo IF your not selling anything with it on it,like shirts, mugs,etc...
    That's true. GC has said that it's ok for a "small number" of "personal use" items, as long as you don't sell it or distribute it on a large scale.

However, I can see us in the (hopefully) near future wanting to incorporate our logo on some merchandise. When I sent them some of our designs early on, they rejected the ones where the colors were even similar or where we had used ANY part of the GC logo. (LD may still have those designs around here somewhere...) I kept submitting a slightly altered design until we got to a point where they accepted it. Most of the designs were just an outline of the state of Arkansas with the GC colors in the four corners. When we changed the colors "enough", they were accepted.

Of course, this would only be a problem if we get a logo in circulation and start using it everywhere, then find out we have to change it...

The only way to know for sure is to send the logo design to support@geocaching.com and get an official ok. I wouldn't want to get the group into any kind of legal issue with GC. It's easier just to get it approved first.
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

GEO Guest
    I think the number of personal items I was told was 25.
    Thats why I ordered 2 sets of the 25 buttons,each just a little different and did not sell them just placed them all over the USA FROM PENSYLVANIA TO NEW MEXICO.
    Thanks daisy button.

LongDogs Guest

More color choices

Given the possibility that GC.com might think the colors in the logo are too much like theirs, here are some other options than can in no way infringe on GC.com

http://ArkGeocaching.org/images/ArkGeoB ... go_msw.gif
    (Colors inspired by the windows logo on the XP Start button, not the GC logo.)

http://ArkGeocaching.org/images/ArkGeoB ... go_rwb.gif
    Red, White, and Blue. What more can I say. Right out of the state flag.

http://ArkGeocaching.org/images/ArkGeoB ... lorful.gif
    Just colors I picked that I thought looked good in the map. No association with anyone, anywhere. I should probably lighten the darker colors, though.

And we can always keep using to topo relief map state logo I've been using.

http://ArkGeocaching.org/images/ArkGeoB ... y3fade.gif

Opinions?

BTW, the 25 items is if you use their logo as is, without modifications. If you modify it, the number is zero - that is you can't modify it or use it modified in any way. If you don't use their logo at all, the number of items you can make is unlimited. That is why some of us would prefer to avoid using it in our logo, even if we could get permission. Do we really want to have to get someone else's permission to have items made with "our" logo?

LongDogs Guest

A thought on division based logos

One thought I had about the divisional logos. If we change up the divisions, the logo will no longer be correct - so do we want to take a wait and see stance on those? Our divisions are certainly not well divided from the perspective of number of caches or number of geocachers.

I'm not suggesting we change our divisions. Just that we need to think carefully before choosing a logo based on something that we might decide to change at some point in the future.

Our logo provides our "branding" and we need to pick one, and stick with it, so that it becomes highly recognizable.

LD I like the state in the first banner.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

GEO Guest
    I don't think changing the divisions will make that much difference.
    At least not to me the animated colorful logo really does not show a real drastic detail as well as the small others.

If that becomes an issue we could choose one from the bigger animated or not logo's with the whole State,for our cache pages.
    I like the DIVERSITY myself,which allows for individualism within the group.
    I am sure everyone has their favorite already.
    I would say to don't fix it,if it ain't broke.
    And if we have no issues.