Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: love of hiking...

nettybug Guest

love of hiking...

The love of hiking and Arkansas led me to this site. I have never done anything with geocaching but have been reading about it since I saw an AETN Chuch Dovich Traveling Arkansas segment on Geocaching in Arkansas. After watching it – I knew that my sense of adventure and exploring plus hiking would lead me to a possible new hobby.

I've been researching GPS units that will be Mac compatible. So no, I do not even own a GPS devise except for an ancient one my dad gave me yesterday. Any suggestions would be appreciated from Mac people.

I also want to use the GPS devise to help me when I'm driving to clients homes for portrait or photography sessions.

I work in Little Rock but live in Cabot, married with three kids. My son has taken after me and loves the outdoors like I do.

I'm glad I found this site.

RugerPilot345 Guest
    Welcome to the forums Nettybug, as you have already found out this is a great hobby and one to add to other types of hobbies that compliment each other. I think it is so neat being able to accomplsih two or three hobbies all at the same time. Have fun and enjoy.

When you ask about finding a GPS that is MAC compatible.....I am guessing you are talking about being able to do some tasks (??) on a MAC. Do you know specifically what type of tasks you are talking about. The map programs you will buy will need to be MAC compatible software.

Since you are a hiker in AR and with all the overhead cover we have in the state I would highly recommend the Garmin 60CSx, great GPS compatible with mapping software, so you have a moving map but also has the ability to receive satellite signals under dense foliage.

Good luck and go ahead and buy one and get in the game, ha ha!!

Cool!!

Q Guest
    Hey

The newer versions of safari and OSX should run newer gps programs. I have my stuff at home on good ole pc but use Macs at work and kinda like them better. DSL there also. I would think SOMEBODY makes a mac version of map programs.

The map program is what you are wanting to lead you to a certain house or address. Without that you would have to know the coordinates. I kept waiting for GPS price to come down. But they just keep adding features and making them better. I knew of geocaching when I got mine but wanted it for hiking and finding and marking remote places as well. Use it mucho. On road trips as well. Geo's were a bonus. And my kids love it. Have fun and holler if I can help with those mac issues.

nettybug Guest
    I got the Garmin 60CSx on Wednesday. I've gone to bed the past two nights with a manual and laptop by my side + the GPSr. Tonight at my dad's house he loaded a few topographical maps of the Buffalo River area that I wanted for hiking. We had to do that on his PC as it looks the software to load maps is still only PC compatible... Dad was letting me use one of his maps. Dad owns a Garmin GPSr too. Later tonight ((I really should say last night as it is early morning now)) I loaded the program GPSBabel to load some geocaching points on my 60CSx. Everything appears to have loaded perfectly. I also loaded some benchmarks too but decided to remove them as it was too much for me to view.

My obsessive/compulsive personality will help me in how to work the GPSr – as I have never owned one or used one until yesterday.

Now I want to learn how to write the code so I can input the coordinates from Tim Ernst books of places I want to hike to. Do you know if there is a place/website that I can input the coordinates and it will save a file for me to download/upload? Or is there a place I can learn how to right the code to upload it myself.

nonnipoppy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nettybug
    I got the Garmin 60CSx on Wednesday. I've gone to bed the past two nights with a manual and laptop by my side + the GPSr. Tonight at my dad's house he loaded a few topographical maps of the Buffalo River area that I wanted for hiking. We had to do that on his PC as it looks the software to load maps is still only PC compatible... Dad was letting me use one of his maps. Dad owns a Garmin GPSr too. Later tonight ((I really should say last night as it is early morning now)) I loaded the program GPSBabel to load some geocaching points on my 60CSx. Everything appears to have loaded perfectly. I also loaded some benchmarks too but decided to remove them as it was too much for me to view.

My obsessive/compulsive personality will help me in how to work the GPSr – as I have never owned one or used one until yesterday.

Now I want to learn how to write the code so I can input the coordinates from Tim Ernst books of places I want to hike to. Do you know if there is a place/website that I can input the coordinates and it will save a file for me to download/upload? Or is there a place I can learn how to right the code to upload it myself.

If there is a Garmin MapSource product that will run on a mac it is very simple to make each T.E. waterfall a waypoint and download them into the 60 CSx.

If no map program the just turn on the GPSr press "mark" and then edit the coords to the T.E. coords. You might be sure that the Ernst coords are written Degrees Minutes Decimal Minutes as are the coords from GC.com for geocaches.

Welcome and Good luck.......poppy

nettybug Guest
    If there is a Garmin MapSource product that will run on a mac it is very simple to make each T.E. waterfall a waypoint and download them into the 60 CSx.

If no map program the just turn on the GPSr press "mark" and then edit the coords to the T.E. coords. You might be sure that the Ernst coords are written Degrees Minutes Decimal Minutes as are the coords from GC.com for geocaches.

Welcome and Good luck.......poppy
    Well, I did input several spots from Ernst's newest book yesterday. My thumb felt like it was going to fall off from inputting about 5 spots. I would input the coordinates plus I would name the spot too.

I will see if the program/cd Garmin had with the 60CSx will work with my Mac but I really don't think it will... in fact I just know it should be a "no go" because it is a program I have to load.

I sent Garmin a note about being Mac compatible but they are only compatible with their software for their fitness products.

On another note... before the rains came yesterday I found my first cache point during a break for lunch yesterday. I work in downtown LR. The weather was pleasant so I took my lunch in the River Market area and started my search. I found the spot but did not know there was hint to actually finding the cache. I will return again when it is dry outside.

I'm addicted.

I don't know if there is a version of GSAK that works on a MAC but I have a GSAK database file that has all of TE's waterfalls loaded to the computer. I can export it to several different formats if you can find one that works with a MAC.

David Mc

I'd love to have that GSAK database file, if you'd be willing to share it!

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

I would love to have that file also.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

Me Too!! I was already thinking of setting up one but that would sure save me a lot of work.