Thread: Geocaching is spreading...

Geocaching is spreading...

The local newspaper did an article on the recent event my wife (ddkds) and I hosted here in Paris. The article has caused interest in the community about geocaching. I have someone come up to me almost everyday to ask me about geocaching or how the event was.

I recently went to speak to the Booneville Rotary where there are very few cachers and the closet cache is currently 19 miles away (ATCF). The talk with the Booneville Rotary was so popular that I have been asked to speak to the Paris Rotary Club soon.

I was also contacted by the local Boy Scouts (Pack 41) and asked to speak to them last night. I used a Power Point presentation (thanks nonnipoppy), a stocked ammo can (one recently given to me by cachemates), and my knowledge of geocaching to tell the scouts as much as I could about it.

Many were interested and I had a lot of positive feedback. There was also a man there who is with our local U.S. Forest Service Office who provided me with a copy of their permit. He just bought a GPS and I hope he joins our ranks. He was very positive about it as well.

paris1time

Great job, P1T! Sounds like you've stirred up a lot of interest in your area. Would you say the newspaper article was the thing that drew the most attention?

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

flannelman Guest
    Good job!! Keep spreading the positive word about geocaching.

I think the newspaper article did cause the most interest.

The newspaper editor for the Paris Express contacted me about doing an article about geocaching and I spoke with him a week or so before the recent event we hosted. He seemed to focus on the event more than what geocaching was and people were coming up to me and asking what geocaching was after the article ran.

That turned out to actually work to help spread the word because people were coming up to me to ask about geocaching because they didn't feel the article told them enough.

I also found out that they later ran the article in the Booneville Democrat also and that is what caused a Rotary member from there to contact me. The Rotary club in Paris heard about the presentation and how interesting it was and wants me to come in the near future to speak to them as well.

The Boy Scouts actually contacted me some time back. One of their leaders was looking at the web site and saw my profile. They knew who I was and contacted me to come and speak to them.

paris1time