Thread: WORD OF CAUTION

firechief1956 Guest

WORD OF CAUTION

A word of caution while out Geocaching.

Be careful little hands what you pickup for it may be very dangerous.
    Saturday 1-27-07 my wife and grand daughter and I were out searching for w00dwalkers WCCC series of caches. While searching and searching for the cache, my wife asked what THAT was while pointing down into the woods about 30 yards. I expected some animal or something of that sort, but all I saw was a white sticker with red writing on it. I moved closer to the item and saw that it was just a portable air tank like you would buy at the store. Thinking, wow this is brand new and that it maybe have washed up here from somewhere close due to the heavy rains we had just had. The tank was upside down on the ground behind a tree. I reached down and slowly picked it up and took a closer look. The valve was missing and there was some type of plug in its place. As I looked it over I noticed the plug started bubbling. As I watched, I soon got a whiff of a very strong odor. My mind went into alert and sent my hands the command to gently place it back on the ground and then my feet began to move back out of the way. I had told my wife and grand-daughter to get away as soon as the odor hit my nose. As luck would have it, I had a cell phone and a signal, which is unusual. Well I called the Sheriffs Dept and in a few minutes there was a car coming and a deputy came over and we went back into the woods. He confirmed my suspicions as to what we had found. All the signs were there as well. I ask that each of you please be careful when you are out geocaching. The items we came across were being used in the manufacturing of meth. PLEASE BE CAREFUL

Q Guest
    Good points. Any type of tanks or filled plastic or glass jugs should be suspect. I am not completely up on how and what the chemicals are but have read some are VERY dangerous.

I am a river rat. Have seen a few of these places from the water. I don't know if they use the water or just campsites close to. A sad thing.

I am in law enforcement and when I first began caching one of my first thoughts was how drug makers and dealers might be using a GPSr to hide their goods to find some time later.

I'm glad you called someone and hope just like the "cache in trash out" creed geocachers should go by I hope all cachers will give a call when they find something like this.

paris1time

nettybug Guest
    I'm curious what you found.

CaptainB Guest
    Also if you are a female and out caching alone, be careful. Pilotsmom was telling us how she was out caching alone. She found the cache and was signing her name. Before she got done, a young man had slipped up behind her. When she turned around, he ask her what she was doing. She told us by his looks, (like someone on drugs) she just took off running and he was right behind her. She got in her car, lock the doors and took off. Always be aware of your surroundings and keep a look out over your shoulder when alone. It scared me just listening to her tell about it.

Queen

Quote Originally Posted by nettybug
    I'm curious what you found.
    I am actually certified by the DEA on meth lab investigations. From the details I have in this post it appears that the item found was possibly one of two things.

In Eastern Arkansas the "Nazi" method to manufacturing meth is very popular because of the availability of anhydrous ammonia that is used in that process. The anhydrous is sometimes stored in portable air tanks. This can be very dangerous because of the unstable state this could be in.

Here in Logan County where I live another method in meth manufacture is more popular because anhyrous is not widely used in farming in this part of the state.

In either method of manufacture there is a step near the end of the process that uses a certain acid and another substance usually combined in some type of container with a hose attached. I am not going to name the acid or the substance here even though the information is widely available on the internet. The mixture forms a gas that comes out of the hose on the container and is very dangerous.

paris1time

firechief1956 Guest

NH3 indeed

NH3 was indeed the chemical in the tank. I am around it where I work and there is no mistake-ing it. Beieve me, we WILL indeed be more cautious while out enjoying the hunt for geocaches. Thanks everyone for your responses. I just wanted to let everyone know what they might come across while enjoying this great past-time of geocaching.

RugerPilot345 Guest
    I want to second the idea of being very careful if you are out geocachng alone, male or female. As we are all aware there are just a lot of crazies out there in this world today. Always be aware of your surroundings and never get so preoccupied as to not know what is going on around you.

I don't want to make anyone paranoid but just be careful. You should always tell someone where you are going and even leave the name of the cache you are hunting for in your vehicle so if you don't come back people will have a place to start looking for you. Usually bad people are looking for weak and easy prey and not confident people who look at them while they are sizing you up.

I always chuckle when I think about a funny saying I heard once......I'm paranoid, I'm the one with the pistol!! ha ha too funny!!

Cool!!