Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winding Stairs expedition!!

flannelman Guest

Winding Stairs expedition!!

I'm planning on going after Cachemates' Winding Stairs cache Saturday, Feburary 10th. If anyone is interested in going on this expedition then let me know. I have been to the trailhead before but never on the trail and it has been a few years since I was last there. As long as the weather is good I'll go. Just post back or email me if you are interested.

mountainborn Guest
    Which way are you planning to go in from ? There is a new gate you may not be aware of on the Southern approach. If you go that way it will add a little over a quarter of a mile to your trek ( still the shortest route ). Either way it is a beautiful hike.
    The rock bluffs and swimming hole at raven branch are especially fine !

flannelman Guest
    I'm not sure of the approach yet. I hope to get some info from Cachemates about it. Either way I expect it to be an all day affair. I'm sure it will be an excellent hike this time of year though.

Is the North road still open? That is how I went in last time. My wife and I were going fishing and parked at the trailhead. I had just gotten down to the creek to start fishing and didn't see my wife right behind me. I looked back up the trail and she had fallen. Well I never got to wet a hook cause she just had to break her ankle. What a trip.

Lesson: Wear good hiking boots, or, don't take your wife fishing.

cachemates Guest
    The southern route to winding stairs is the shortest way to go and you don't have but 1 creek to cross. I just spoke with the landowner and he does not mind crossing his property. He said the only reason he put up the gate was some folks just has no respect for others property. They were dumping and leaving their trash everywhere and shooting gun at all hours of the night. So, because of the deadbeats he gated it off.
    This should be a fun trip. I'm looking forward to it.

Lauri Guest
    I'm tentatively interested. What time do you plan to go?

flannelman Guest
    I think we will need to start out early. I'm not sure how long it will take to hike round trip but I think it will be a while. Jerry could give us a better idea of how long it will take and how far the hike is. I was thinking of meeting at the rest area just before Glenwood to start out. There is a really tricky cache there also. Probably meet there between 7:30-8:00 am then drive on down to the cache area, but we may need to go eariler depending on how long it will take. We got a couple of weeks to work out all the fine details.

cachemates Guest
    From where we will have to park I would estimate it to take 45 minutes to an hour to hike to winding stairs. We have never hiked from this point before, We always drove closer.
    At the start of the hike you will be walking down an old road that was kind of rough with some mud holes. I only had to use 4WD one time when crossing the creek.
    When you get to the Musgrove Swimming Hole the trail starts there and follows the river to winding stairs. It is not a difficult trail to hike. There may be some deadfall but still an easy trail. There will be one cache, County Line Cache before you get to the winding stairs cache. Be sure to bring your camera.
    It will take appox 20 to 30 minutes to where we park from this cache GCYJYB. This is where I work. It is about 15 minutes from Glenwood.

RugerPilot345 Guest
    Once again Jerry I am missing all the fun due to this war, ha ha.....I can't wait to get back and get busy seeing AR again....have fun you guys!!

Joe

Lauri Guest
    Hmmm. I would love to go but have plans with my nieces that morning until about 11am. Will let you know if things change!

flannelman Guest
    Well that is not as far as I had expected so we could do it later in the day If everyone wanted to. I guess it all depends on how many people want to go. Of course there are a lot of other caches in the area too that could take up the rest of the day.

BTW this is open to anyone who wishes to go.