Thread: Logging Temporary Event Caches as Finds

Logging Temporary Event Caches as Finds

Following this last weekend's event in Paris, paris1time contacted me to ask whether temporary event caches could be logged as finds on Geocaching.com, either under the event listing itself or under a separate traditional cache listing. At first I told him, no, the logging of finds could only be done for caches officially listed on the website. However, I realized that this was based upon something another cacher told me quite a while back, before I became a reviewer. So I decided to check into it a little more, consulting with other reviewers and Groundspeak.

I have learned that Groundspeak / Geocaching.com has no official position one way or the other on logging finds of temporary caches at events.

Ultimately, it is up to the cache owner or event "owner" to decide what logs are allowed on their cache/event, police the logs themselves, and delete any they find offensive or do not want to allow.
    "Volunteering is for suckers. Did you know that volunteers don't even get paid for the stuff they do?" -- Homer Simpson

Then why did all of those caches get archived at GW4?
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arkansas_stickerdude
    Then why did all of those caches get archived at GW4?
    That question would have to be answered by the event organizers, Texas Geocaching Association.
    "Volunteering is for suckers. Did you know that volunteers don't even get paid for the stuff they do?" -- Homer Simpson

Well GC is the one that LOCKED it to 1 ATTENDED and archived all the others that mentioned finding it at GW4. That was something that GC did not Texas Geocachers did.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

MaxCacher Guest
    This is WHY:

First let me breakdown what a true pocket cache is not

(1) not a cache that has or ever will have a GC#
    (2) not a moving cache, there are some grand fathered in from before March 2003
    (3) not a temporarily cache that will later become a regular cache later.
    (4) not an extra log book someone brought to the event just for the smiley
    (5) not a cache that is archive, or one never used
    (6) not a cache someone temporarily disabled and brought to the event
    (7) not a cache someone brought to the event just so folks could get an extra smiley
    ( not to be logged on anyone’s cache just for the smiley
    (9) am sure I left a few off, read and understand the guidelines
    (10) if any of the above are done the cache listing will be archive and locked

An event pocket cache is a temporarily cache hidden just for the event, or in someone’s pocket for the meet & greet for an ice breaker. They can be logged multiple times “ONLY” on the event page not anywhere else. There is no guideline against it.

Max Cacher