Thread: Trails for a night cache

jcblough Guest

Trails for a night cache

I'm looking for a trail near LR/NLR that is open after dark and has terrain suitable for a multi-cache/offset cache. I have spent the last couple of weekends scouring Burns park - it seems the boyscout trails there are at critical mass on caches - I have even found a couple accidentally just wandring around

Any suggestions of another good locale. Two Rivers was my 2nd choice but it closes after dark.

How about somewhere along the Ouachita Trail either in or west of Pinnacle Mtn. State Park? Of course, if it's in the park, you will need a permit and they may prohibit the use of the trail at night. However, outside the park would probably be fair game. -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

jcblough Guest
    I thought about those, but never ventured much further.
    I found the info on the state park policy and permits. I believe that a night cache would be legal on the trail if it is open at night, but I'm almost certain using firetacks would be illegal as they "alter vegetation" and could also "create a spur trail"

I have one more section of the burns park trails to research, if that fails, I'll have to start really digging around.

If I recall correctly most of the Little Rock City parks are open until 10pm which would be good for a couple of hours worth of darkness most of the year. Same goes for the NLR parks with the exception of Burns which closes at midnight giving a couple of extra after dark hours.

So far as I know all the county parks close at dark, as does Pinnacle. Pinnacle being closed presents a problem with using the Ouchita trail, at least if you plan on people parking in the Pinnacle State Park parking lots. You should also keep in mind that although there is an easement for the trail, it runs across private land in several places so be carefully about where you place any cache on it.

David Mc

jcblough Guest
    I've ruled out the state parks and the ouchita trail pretty much. I'm gonna just try and work out burns park. The yellow trail is too full on caches and it floods, The cubscout trail seems pretty full as well. I'm going to get out and look at the back loop by the golf course and see how that goes.

I guess I could go totally off trail, but I didn't want too much bushwhacking after dark, that's just frustrating.

I'm not sure if the trail is open after dark but there is a bike trail in West Little Rock off of Bowman Road behind the shopping center. The coordinates for the trail head are N34 45.351 W092 24.423... There are already 2 other caches(GCP7HP and GCKWAB) in that area but it looks like there is plenty of room for more. I will see if I can come up with some other suggestions.

jcblough Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking
    I'm not sure if the trail is open after dark but there is a bike trail in West Little Rock off of Bowman Road behind the shopping center. The coordinates for the trail head are N34 45.351 W092 24.423... There are already 2 other caches(GCP7HP and GCKWAB) in that area but it looks like there is plenty of room for more. I will see if I can come up with some other suggestions.
    I noticed those caches the other night on a trip to home depot, maybe I'll go find them and check it out - thanks!