Thread: Wobbling Rock

Wobbling Rock

Over the Christmas break, we were doing some hiking on Big Creek near Harriet, Arkansas and discovered a beautiful place known to locals as "Wobbling Rock". It's a large boulder on the edge of a steep cliff that is somehow balanced so that you can move it when you are on top. It's pretty scary looking at it as you approach, but the view from the top is breathtaking!

Have any of you already found this place?

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Nope.

We discovered this past weekend a place called Tea Kettle Falls and Kettle Hollow. It is in the Madison County Wildlife Management area. It is close to Bear Creek Hollow. The waterfalls remind me of Glory Hole. The water drops through an unreal several layers of rock that is multi colored by swirley layers, it makes a 90 degree turn, then comes out likes it's being spouted from a kettle. It is in a hollow that is just covered with beautiful bluffs.
    There is a road that is open from fall through spring that isn't too bad (but we used 4 wheel drive because of the mud this past weekend.) The hike if you couldn't drive down would be like Glory Hole.

I will be so glad when Game and Fish gets in touch with us about allowing us into their areas.

cachemates Guest
    Never heard of it. Did you get any pictures? That's what so great about geocaching, you get to see places like this that you never heard of before.

I remember going to a unique rock formation somewhere near Shirley AR. This was back in the 70's. We saw an article in the Rural Arkansas magazine that we get from our electric company each month.
    I don't remember the name of the place. If you looked at the rocks from the right angle you could human faces, animals and other features.

It was a neat place to see. It was on private land with an entrance fee. Next time we are in that area think I'll see if I can find that place.
    Someone should have a cache there if possible.

My wife and I were in Eureka Springs a few years ago for a weekend getaway and we stopped off to see a place that was advertising a balancing rock called Pivot Rock. It is also on private property so we had to pay an entrance fee. We followed the trail and found the rock. It was as big as my truck and was balanced on a very small base about a foot around. We were very disappointed in it because one side of the "balancing rock" is now propped up with some sort of metal brace. The area that it is in is very nice and would be a great place to place a cache but it is on private property. The rock was a disappointment but we did enjoy our stay in a cabin at a place called Hidden Valley Ranch. If you ever want a place to take your spouse for a nice romantic getaway this is a great place to go.

nettybug Guest
    topKitty – this place sounds wonderful. I would love to get directions to this place.

Quote Originally Posted by "topkitty98

We discovered this past weekend a place called Tea Kettle Falls and Kettle Hollow. It is in the Madison County Wildlife Management area. It is close to Bear Creek Hollow. The waterfalls remind me of Glory Hole. The water drops through an unreal several layers of rock that is multi colored by swirley layers, it makes a 90 degree turn, then comes out likes it's being spouted from a kettle. It is in a hollow that is just covered with beautiful bluffs.
    There is a road that is open from fall through spring that isn't too bad (but we used 4 wheel drive because of the mud this past weekend.) The hike if you couldn't drive down would be like Glory Hole.

I will be so glad when Game and Fish gets in touch with us about allowing us into their areas.

Go north out of Huntsville on Hwy. 23 to Forum, then about 6.5 miles and turn right onto the gravel road #447-8- management area sign on the left just after you turn onto the road. (Madison County Wildlife Management Area) Go about 2.7 miles go up the hill, turn right onto # 447-7 park here if the gate is closed (fun hike if it is closed - they open it from late fall to early spring - rest of the year closed to vehicle traffic due to turkey nesting!! ) If it is open drive down the jeep road if you have 4 WD. This takes you to the top of the falls at N 36 15.980 W 93 42.892 There is another Jeep road that cuts off to the right from this road. If you follow it, park at those closed gates, hike down that road it will take you easily to the bottom of the falls - also well worth the hike! Awesome spot definitely needs a cache when the AG&F opens it to us!

>^..^<

nettybug Guest
    I love to hike... thanks! I want to find this spot.

cachemates Guest
    I remember seeing the signs for Pivot Rock and Hidden Valley Ranch, but haven't been to either one. We did go to Blue Spring once. It was pretty nice, The water gushing up out of the ground is very cold, even in July.

This year during Christmas Holiday we went to Boxley Valley-Ponca area. We rented the Walnut Grove Cabin for two days. We saw lots of elk, We counted 46 in one herd and almost that many in another close by.
    We had one almost on the front porch.

We hiked to the "Land of the Lost" virtual cache in Lost Valley Park. That is really a pretty place. The waterfalls were running good when we were there.

We went to Jasper and ate at the Ozark Cafe, ( We had already done that cache ) And ORR's cache on Round Mountain. While we were at the Wildlife Museum a lady there told us about a waterfall ( Twin Falls ) located at the bottom of a mountain where the ORR (Not Old River Runner) Boy Scout Camp is located. It was worth the trip down to see it.
    It is only about .25 mile hike in and out.

We had already found Hawksbill Crag cache with woodwalker9 on Thanksgiving Day, so we did not go there. This area offers some of the very best of Arkansas Scenery.

The owners of the Walnut Grove Cabin had most of Tim Ernst books in the cabin for guest to read. One had the story about the little girl ( Haley) that was lost for two or three days near Hawksbill Crag. It was a good book, but I didn't read all of it.

Bill, the cabin owner said Tim had a beautiful place overlooking the buffalo river, not far from Hawksbill Crag. That he was his neighbor and that Tim was a great guy.

We would recommend this place to anyone who just wants to get away for a while. We are looking forward to going back to Boxley Valley and Walnut Grove Cabin up behind the Boxley Valley Baptist Church.