Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New geocacher in Hot Springs

Lauri Guest

New geocacher in Hot Springs

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi!

A good friend in California has been geocaching for a couple of years and has talked highly of it. I've been living in Hot Springs now for about a year and I thought that geocaching might be a great way to get out and explore Arkansas a bit more!

I've got a GPS unit coming on Friday from Amazon and I'm looking forward to getting started this weekend.

Welcome!

My wife and I just started about 8 months ago and we love geocaching.

If we can ever be of any help just send me a message.

paris1time

cajunbat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paris1time
    Welcome!

My wife and I just started about 8 months ago and we love geocaching.

If we can ever be of any help just send me a message.

paris1time
    yeah what he said...minus the wife...lol..good luck ....hope you love it...ya need some help just shout!!!

Lauri Guest
    Thanks for the welcome! I made my first find this weekend and had a blast. Weather permitting, I'm going to be poking around some of the other local Hot Springs caches this coming Sunday, too.

I'm working to put together my "hunting bag". I picked up a great canvas messenger bag yesterday (I think from North Korea) at the local army surplus store so I can be ready with everything together. I've got items to trade, a notebook, pens, a flashlight, extra batteries, my GPS unit and my digital camera. Anything else I might want to through in there?

Also, how do I get my geocaching stats in my sig? When I cut and paste the code from geocachering.com it tells me my sig is too large.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri
    I'm working to put together my "hunting bag". I picked up a great canvas messenger bag yesterday (I think from North Korea) at the local army surplus store so I can be ready with everything together. I've got items to trade, a notebook, pens, a flashlight, extra batteries, my GPS unit and my digital camera. Anything else I might want to through in there?
    There is an article in our Download section that lists some things you might want to consider. Check out the Geocaching Pack List.
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Lauri Guest
    Found my 6th cache today (and I have a few other DNF's as well that I will find some time in the future I hope) in the local Hot Springs area, mostly. I'm having a blast and plan to try to log a few more in the area this weekend. Soon enough, I plan to branch out -- maybe a day hitting caches in Benton with my sister and then another day in Little Rock and points in between.

Mucho fun!

I'm also starting to contemplate my first hide...still keeping an eye out for a good location.

RugerPilot345 Guest
    Lauri, welcome to Geocaching and glad you are having a blast at it. I am fairly new to as well and have had to curtail my hunting as I am presently in Kuwait participating in OIF. Were you able to get the link to work on the suggested packing list provided above. Mine keeps coming back as a dead link. I was wondering if you had made it work or had found a packing list somewhere else.

Thanks,

Cool!!

Lauri Guest
    I haven't been able to get that to work, myself.

Right now I think my bag is pretty set for easy urban caches or park and grabs -- in the spring when the weather is nicer for hiking I will probably get a better backpack for longer hikes but right now I'm content getting the "easier" caches.

Q Guest
    Ummm..... Beg your pardon.. but did you say, when the hiking is better in the spring? Different strokes for different folks but hiking for us is way better NOW. No bugs, few snakes if any, more water in the streams [may not apply to springtime comparison], and no leaves which makes better views. Been waiting for winter. A little more attention to what you carry and wear. A walk up hill may get warm all bundled up so some active wicking clothing is helpful. Something you can shed and carry is good, too. Layers.

The sun coming out can make it seem 10 degrees warmer in a hurry. Or the opposite for going behind clouds. But we do mainly remote caches. Had a wonderful day yesterday in 50ish degree weather doing Glory Hole and Alum Cove caches and just following a creek to see it. Great look at a Bald Eagle. Excellent day.

Didn't mean to tangent off your thread. You can PM me if you want more... opinion, Rule #1.. Have Fun.

Lauri Guest
    Right now, sure I can see how it's nice now. But I can't imagine doing too much come January/February myself. We'll see....but then again I'm a recent transplant last winter from Southern California so my take on weather is likely a bit different. YMMV and to each his own.