Thread: HELP, Downloading to a Legend.

5beavers Guest

HELP, Downloading to a Legend.

We got the kids Garmin Legends for Christmas. We have been trying all morning to load a queary into them, no luck.
    We use GSAK to load our 60CS and our Cachemate in our Palm.
    Does anybody have any suggestions? We could use them.
    Thanks 5Beavers

USB, Serial ???

Are the other ones USB or serial? I know my kid's Legend is a serial cable. If all the GPSr's are serial are you simply swapping the cable out or plugging it into a second serial port on the PC? If you are just swapping cables on the same connector (like I do) it should work just fine. If you are plugging into a separate port so both cables are plugged in at the same time you may have to select the other serial (or uncheck USB) port under GPS -> Setup on the GSAK menu. It should be transparent to the GSAK program which one is plugged in. STW

5beavers Guest
    We plugged it into the serial port on the back of the computer, not the USB port. We selected the "com 1" on the GSAK and unchecked the USB box.
    Still, no luck.
    Thanks, Spanky

Is it possible that the COM1 port is disabled in the BIOS? Or, could it be disabled on the operating system? Check the COM1 port status in Device Manager? We are talking Windows XP, right? Home Edition?

You mentioned that you have a Palm device. If it's one that uses the serial port, make sure to disable HotSync that is running in the system tray (lower right, by the clock). I've gotten hit by this several times, until I remember to turn it off. It interferes with the serial port communication...

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

5beavers Guest
    thanks so much gaddiel thats exactly what was wrong with it. i would never have thought to do that and we were getting pretty frustrated over this as we had just bought three gps units for the kids for christmas and
    they have been chomping at the bit to break them in.

icetoad Guest

thought i'd share this

I have a laptop, no desktop for now. The laptop has no serial port. I got a garmin legend and it comes with a RS232 serial cable. Being impatient I immediately started lookin on the net for an adaptor or pcmcia serial port. Prices were beating me about the head and shoulders for both and i actually considered taking it back to walmart and getting a magellan. I had already ordered mapping software from Cabela's and it's a major pain to get an order stopped, much less refunded by their customer service.

So I went hunting in town. Walked into radio shack in benton, picked up a USB to serial adaptor for about 10 bucks, ran the software, followed the onscreen instructions for once. (bein a geek, you get to thinkin ya know more than ya do sometimes.) Works fine now and I'm happy with the Legend. But I'm already lookin at the $500 models...

Stop me before I buy again...