Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INDIAN POINTER TREE ?

mountainborn Guest

INDIAN POINTER TREE ?

Some I have shown this photo to, seem to think that it is a Indian Pointer Tree. What the heck is that ? The tree seems to be old, How can I tell how old it is ?
    Here is the photo:

flannelman Guest
    Wow!! Thats a cool tree!! The only way you can tell how old it is is to cut it down and count the rings. Well actually you could take a core sample and count the lines in the sample.

Q Guest
    Indian pointer trees were done like that to indicate position or direction.... road signs if you will. They would point a trail direction or mark forks in the trail/road to certain spots.

That bend in the tree seems rather high for such a tree. Possible tho. Many such trees are left by storms. As a tree falls and bends a smaller tree without breaking it, the smaller tree grows on and the branches become like a trunk, reaching up. I would be mo worried 'bout the dude in the mask!!!!

I think that the Wooly Hollow Cache put out by gaddiel & orange danish had a link to Indian trail trees. It may be in the logs from ages ago. I think they also pointed to resources such as water. In our wanderings in the woods, we've come across several. They are cool.

Beth
    >^..^<

Quote Originally Posted by topkitty98
    I think that the Wooly Hollow Cache put out by gaddiel & orange danish had a link to Indian trail trees. It may be in the logs from ages ago.
    That's true. I remembered the log you mentioned and went back and looked it up. Here's the link that firechief1956 provided to a page about trail trees.

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Quote Originally Posted by Gaddiel
    Quote Originally Posted by topkitty98
    I think that the Wooly Hollow Cache put out by gaddiel & orange danish had a link to Indian trail trees. It may be in the logs from ages ago.
    That's true. I remembered the log you mentioned and went back and looked it up. Here's the link that firechief1956 provided to a page about trail trees.

Wayne
    I tried the link and it did not work for me. Said "content blocked".

p1t

Quote Originally Posted by paris1time
    Oops. You're right. I've removed that link since it no longer works. Try this one instead...

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

mountainborn Guest
    Me too. Content blocked. My browser settings maybe ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaddiel
    Quote Originally Posted by paris1time
    Oops. You're right. I've removed that link since it no longer works. Try this one instead...

Wayne
    This new one worked for me. Thanks! -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

mountainborn Guest
    Got it, Thanks !