Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: INDIAN POINTER TREE ?

flannelman Guest
    I saw a tree like that yesterday evening while deer hunting. It had been pushed over by a dozer while building a fire break. Two limbs had started growing verticle like two separate trunks.

I spotted one of these trees while I was out geocaching this morning, heading for the "deer camp" cache (GCYX7D) in northern Johnson County. The tree is about 1/2 mile after leaving the pavement if you're heading east on County Road 4490 coming from Rt. 103. The tree is within 30 feet of the road, on the south side, in a pasture. Look for it if you ever go after this cache. -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

I ran across this tree on the way to a cache. I took the picture because I thought it was a cool representation of gravitropism. I'd never heard of an Indian pointer tree until I stumbled upon this thread. So what do you guys think? I think it may be and the only way to findout is to go back and see where it's pointing. Which is what I intend to do.

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    Judging from the size of the tree I believe this indian lived circa 1989. In other words, it's probably one of nature's accidents rather than an Indian Pointer tree. I would think any genuine Indian Pointer trees would be quite large by now.

Have a nice hike.

Geezer

mountainborn Guest
    Using the formula below, the tree in the photo that starts the thread, germinated aproximately in 1892. Post Civil War, Jesse James era.
    Paste from another forum:
    >
    First, determine tree diameter in inches measured at 4 1/2 feet above ground level. Remember that diameter equals circumference divided by 3.14. The following table assigns a factor number to various species. Multiply the diameter in inches by the appropriate factor to determine the estimated tree age.

Determining Tree Age
    ( Factor x Diameter = Tree Age )

Tree Species Factor
    Acer rubrum Red Maple 3.0
    Acer saccharinum Silver Maple 2.0
    Betula nigra River Birch 3.0
    Carya ovata Shagbark Hickory 7.0
    Fagus grandifolia American Beech 6.0
    Fraxinus americana White Ash 4.0
    Fraxinus pennsylvanica Green Ash 3.5
    Juglans nigra Black Walnut 3.5
    Liquidambar styraciflua Sweetgum 4.0
    Liriodendron tulipifera Tulip Poplar 2.5
    Pinus strobus White Pine 4.5
    Platanus occidentalis Sycamore 3.5
    Prunus serotina Black Cherry 4.0
    Quercus alba White Oak 5.0
    Quercus coccinea Scarlet Oak 4.0
    Quercus palustris Pin Oak 3.5
    Quercus rubra Northern Red Oak 3.5
    Ulmus americana American Elm 3.0

Example

White oak is the overstory dominant species in a hypothetical stand, with a mean average diameter of 18" d.b.h.
    white oak factor 5.0 x 18"d.b.h. = 90 yrs. old

The forest stand is estimated to be 90 years old. Everything growing beneath the overstory is performing in response to the dominance of the oaks, in that, the overstory often drives, directs and dictates forest community structure below itıs canopy.