Thread: Southeast Caches

southdeltan Guest

Southeast Caches

I decided to borrow this from LD:

I decided to get some rough numbers on the SE region, here's what I found - please forgive any mistakes I may have made...

Grant: 1
    Jefferson: 0
    Arkansas: 1
    Cleveland: 2
    Lincoln: 1
    Desha: 1
    Drew: 0
    Bradley: 0
    Ashley: 0
    Chicot: 1

Total: 7 (in 10 counties)

As soon as I get a chance I'm gonna scout out Bradley, Drew and Ashley counties. I hope to place a few high quality seed caches. This area is very similar to the MS Delta side of the river: There aren't many people, so there aren't many cachers, so there aren't many caches. It took us a while - at first there were less than 5 caches from Vicksburg to Memphis (and from the river to I-55) and now there are dozens. It just takes time.

I also plan to check and see if the owners of the other 6 caches in the area are still active, and if so if they're members of this site - if not I'll invite them here.

southdeltan

GEO Guest
    Very good idea I think we need to do this for all regions I will start on the NW when I get back if no one has yet.

southdeltan Guest
    Something similar to this that we do in Mississippi is a "Counties without Caches" list.

We've kept track on the counties with no caches. We have a list - and now a map - of the counties. I haven't updated it in a while so I'll probably get around to checking it today.

The one thing we stress is that we're not out to hide a cache in a county just so it has a cache, we like them to be 'high quality' hides - not throwaway micros (that's not a knock on micros, but they are fairly easy to do poorly) or otherwise poorly done caches. When we started there were close to 30 counties and now there are less than 9 without caches.

southdeltan

I could not sleep so I started on the Central section. I started near where I live. I counted active caches only.

Pope County - 63
    Yell County - 19

I double checked these so they should be close. It's tough in an area like this. There are a few counties around here that don't have many. I will try to work on those tomorrow.

LongDogs Guest

Just FYI on the region maps

There are also two smaller versions of the map, available here:
    http://ArkGeocaching.org/images/ArkGeoc ... nt_mid.gif

and here:
    http://ArkGeocaching.org/images/ArkGeoc ... _small.gif

The full size one is still here:
    http://ArkGeocaching.org/images/ArkGeoc ... adient.gif

southdeltan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking
    I could not sleep so I started on the Central section. I started near where I live. I counted active caches only.

Pope County - 63
    Yell County - 19

I double checked these so they should be close. It's tough in an area like this. There are a few counties around here that don't have many. I will try to work on those tomorrow.
    Wow - that's a lot of work!

I normally only look for the ones without any ccaches - it's much easier!

Good work!

sd

cpt_peewee Guest

Ashley County

I've been planning to put a couple of caches here in Ashley Co. I just haven't got around to it yet. (shiftwork)
    Maybe I can get to it after planting.
    HH
    CPW

polijn Guest
    I placed on last month at Cane Creek State Park in Lincoln County. I'm just waiting on it to get approved at the GC website. I grew up in SEARK and my family's still there, so I'll look into placing a few more on my home turf. Gotta make sure it's okay with papaw if there's strangers searching the back pasture and all.

Ronbo Guest
    Looks like the Lake Chicot area has a few more caches now. Gotta get across the River soon.