Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed ArkGeo Bylaws

LongDogs Guest
    I got it.

It will show up in the outbox until it is read, then it goes to the sent box.

I see so potential problems with the bylaws as they stand, and that is that there is no means for a member to end their own membership. The board can evict people from the club but other than not coming to the board for at least a year there isn't anyway for a person to get out voluntarily.

Doesn't seem like much of an issue...until the board enacts some new rule, such as dues, and expects everyone to abide by it without a means to for them to leave the club.

Also in Section 8:voting it states that executive committee resolutions only require a simple majority of quorum when quorum itself is only a simple majority so 25% of the board could enact binding resolutions which makes a big loophole for potential shady activity.

Then there is the whole allocation of funds thing. The executive board can disperse up to $100 anytime for any reason? No recourse or responsibility to the club as a whole? And over $100 only takes the Board approval (and only 25% of them at that due to the issue above!)

No means for members to impeach or recall board members, no means for club members have any say about dispersal of club funds, and no way for club members to escape once they are in? Sounds like the makings of a dictatorship/fascist/communist state.

Quote Originally Posted by ar_kayaker
    No means for members to impeach or recall board members, no means for club members have any say about dispersal of club funds, and no way for club members to escape once they are in? Sounds like the makings of a dictatorship/fascist/communist state.
    No means to recall board members is an issue, but I trust the other board members to remove another member if the majority of at-large members want it. In reality, the board member would probably resign if inundated with negative posts on this board, as has already happened.

Club members do have a say in dispersal of funds, and everything else, indirectly by who we vote for. I know and trust just about everybody in this community.

I think we can all "escape" simply by not coming to this site anymore, not voting, not attending functions, etc. I doubt the cache police will come knocking on the door.

Dictatorship/fascist/communist state????? I thought we were voting on a hobby, not a new form of government.

I've met a lot people caching and at events, and I have serious doubts that any of them are out to take over Arkansas Geocaching or embezzle all the funds. I guess I lean toward the trustful type, rather than the paranoid type.
    "Honey, we're not normal people. We're the Griswolds. "

Is there any way to post an Org Chart that shows the relationship between the Board, Executive Committee and other Committees? It might help my simple nuclear trained mind to comprehend the structure.
    "Honey, we're not normal people. We're the Griswolds. "

mountainborn Guest
    "I see so potential problems with the bylaws as they stand"
    >
    "Doesn't seem like much of an issue...until the board enacts some new rule"
    >
    "which makes a big loophole for potential shady activity."
    >
    "Then there is the whole allocation of funds thing."
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    All of this above sounds like horribly subversive nit picking !
    Let's get this chicken hatched before we start trying to crack the egg !

I have no reason to suspect any of the steering comitte of anything, except of hard work and dedication to the sport.
    These comments are nothing short of a direct attack on the integrity of those who are working tirelessly to promote geocaching.
    Why would anyone want to hold a office in the association when they know they will be in for a ceasless barrage of nit picking ?
    Those who attack our fledgling association under the guise of "making it better", or "getting it right the first time" become suspect in their motives.
    At this point we are painting with broad strokes. The smaller details with a smaller brush will follow in due course.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Griswolds
    Is there any way to post an Org Chart that shows the relationship between the Board, Executive Committee and other Committees? It might help my simple nuclear trained mind to comprehend the structure.
    Good idea. An organizational chart is available. It's in Word format and you can see it here. (link removed)

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

LongDogs Guest

Org Chart

Here's the org chart under the proposed bylaws:

or a bigger one here:
    http://arkgeocaching.org/images/ArkGeo_org.gif

Oh, thank you, thank you! Much better!!!
    View my profile

cajunbat Guest
    sorry and it could be on the website somewhere but with the org chart can I also have whom holds each position?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunbat
    sorry and it could be on the website somewhere but with the org chart can I also have whom holds each position?
    These are only proposed positions. Right now, there is only a Steering Committee composed of five members. Once the Board is in place, the other positions will begin to be filled.

Wayne
    View my profile