Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Did You Choose Your Username?

polijn Guest
    I've used Polijn as my internet handle since 1994. Or Nimnestl. They're both characters in fantasy/mystery novels/short stories. Neither has ever been already taken when I've signed up for anything, and no one has ever said - hey, I've read that! So, I feel obscure. And I can't pronounce my own name; I just know it's supposed to rhyme with "so thin".

I am SO glad you posted this! I had checked out your website and wondered if your name was something you had made up as a character in your stories. I love to read, but I must admit that Science Fiction is not my thing. I am a mystery fan myself. Thanks for posting and welcome aboard, SoThin Polijn!!

topkitty98
    >^..^<

mountainborn Guest
    Many years ago when I was in S/E Asia, Grandma worried about me. She wrote this:
    http://www.geocities.com/seatoseainsong
    It stuck.

maumellean Guest
    I just now saw this topic. Being a resident of Maumelle, I thought that Maumellean would allow others to see where I am from. When I find out-of-state caches, I make sure and put Maumelle, AR under my username like I've seen some others do. I'm not sure what I will do when I move away from Maumelle. I guess, then, that the meaning will change. Then, I'll just say that I was living there when I started geocaching.

geowoodstock Guest
    It seems this topic is back in business, so here is my story!

While at Girl/Boy Scout camp(s) it is customary to use nicknames instead of real names. Most of the time they are ones that have been earned.

I earned my camp name, "Woodstock" when I was 7 years old during a Dad & Lad Camp of all places. My parents were the Camp Directors and I had to tag along. Being the girl (besides mom), I had nothing better to do except irriate my brother and his friends. By the end of camp another Scout Leader made the comment that I "followed the boys around like Woodstock follows Snoopy."

It stuck from there on out and I have been known as Woodstock ever since. When I started geocacing, there was already a Woodstock, so I just added the "geo" to the front of it!

LuckyoneinAR Guest
    I've enjoyed reading everyone's post so here goes......

I became "LuckyoneinAR" because when I first heard of geocaching, I thought "Man, I'll be lucky just to find one" since I wasn't really the kind of person who enjoyed treking around in the outdoors looking for things. All it took was finding my first cache and I did it without a GPSr!! I graduated from "I'll be lucky if..." to "Lucky me - where's the next cache?" I've been hooked ever since. What a great way to enjoy the great outdoors. Now, if I could just overcome my GREAT FEAR of snakes (and spiders and lizards and...)!!!

Back when I was a kid I tended to be called Spanky by others due to my supposed resemblence to Spanky McFarland of the "Our Gang" or "The Little Rascals" show on TV. You know, Buckwheat, Alfalfa, Darla and Pete the Pup. Fast forward a few decades and I just happened to start a new job in Arkansas and one of the ladies in the data processing section just started calling me Spanky again. I figured it was just fate. Another of the ladies always referred to me as the Wizard because of my computer skills. So, when I was thinking about a name I just decided to mash 'em together. SpankytheWizard.

flannelman Guest
    In high school I would always wear a T shirt with a flannel shirt over it in the winter. Almost everywhere I went a plaid flannel shirt went with me. You will often see me on the trail to this day with some variation of a plaid flannel shirt. Due to this obsession with those shirts my sister labled me flannelman a long time ago.

Q Guest
    Mine is boring. An initial. Mine and my son. I used to be cajunQ everywhere cuz cajun is usually taken.

I had my first geo caching experience over the Christmas hoildays in 2004. A whole group of us were going geocaching along the Mississippi river just West of Alton , Illinois over in Calhoon County. Before we left, we all sat around the kitchen table at my inlaws house trying to decide what my geocaching name shoud be. Since I am hard of hearing and have worn hearing aids since 1989 everyone thought it should somehow pretain to my hearing problem. When people were talking to me I usually only got part of the conversation and as a result I usually was saying, What? expecting them to repeat it so I could hear what they said. Since What? did not sound very good as a geocaching name we came up with , Sayitagain. This has worked well for me but I always have to be careful when introducing myself to new geocachers because if I just say "Sayitagain" as opposed to saying "I am Sayitagain" they will think I didn't hear them and tell me their name again.