Thread: Survived a true misadventure....

walkingshadow Guest

Survived a true misadventure....

[ color=#444444][/color]

Well red and I were out trying to find Jumpin Jehosophat. We were close, the gps was telling us we were within 24 ft. I hadn't decypher the clue yet and were looking every where. I stepped over a pile of rocks onto the ground and felt my foot sink about two inches into something soft. Next thing I knew, ouch, I felt a fire hot prickon my ankle and I thought "snake". I looked down and saw my foot covered with yellowjackets. I then felt another sting around the ankle, bam...another on my shoulder, another on my other side. After that I lost count. I yelled at my pup to get out of there. I walked briskly through the cloud of hornets, at some point I kicked off my shoe to get them off and just kept going. Poor red took off running and did a stop, drop and roll maneuver and then got up and kept going. At the bottom of the hill I met geoark and she asked if everything was ok. I told what happened. Red spent the evening at the vet er in Maumelle with a severe allergic reaction and I spent three days in the hospital on iv antibiotics. The lesson from all this???? Watch where you put your foot down. Carry benydryl. I am still a little freaked out but I am going to go out and try to find some easy ones this weekend. Anyone for geocaching?

walkingshadow and red

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    Sorry to hear of your misadventure. Yellow jackets usually build their nest just under the surface of the ground. If you had looked you probably would not have seen it. I stepped on a nest several years ago and I know for sure that it's not funny.

I admire your fortitude. And I glad you posted so that others and I will know to avoid that pile of rocks area.

Geezer

DEEZER Guest
    Walkingshadow, I am terribly sorry about your misadventure. I feel awful that something like this happened. I am considering removing the cache and placing it somewhere else. If anyone wants to give me some feedback on this, please do. I thought I found an excellent location with a great view. I tromped all over that area when placing the cache. Approaching from different directions, taking several waypoints. I guess I just got lucky I didn't step on the nest myself. I hope you and red are both doing well.

lukywest Guest

Yellow Jackets Suck

When I was at the event up in Central Arkansas I ran across some yellow jackets at another cache. It seems that there is a quite a few in that area. I only got hit by one and got the heck out of dodge. I didnt even do anyhting to provoke them. I know if one is bad I couldnt have imagined a bunch of stings. After I was trying to get over the sting. I found the cache and there was a nest about 1 foot below the cache. And I counted about 10 of them ready to strike. It made nausea afterwards too. But those are the things that can take place out in the wild. I keep a first aid on me all the time just incase. I have a snake bite kit too. You never know. Hope you are better.

walkingshadow Guest
    Deezer don't feel bad!!! We take a chance of meeting the bad side of mother nature everytime we step out the door. I am glad that I found it instead of someone with small children. We are going to be fine and I just consider this just another learning experience. walkingshadow

nonnipoppy Guest
    Sorry to hear about your issue with the yellowjackets. Having found that same cache earlier that morning it amazes me just how much luck plays into our lives. Poppy was solo and totally oblivious to anything dangerous.

Glad you are "getting back on the horse" so to speak. Good Luck...poppy

walkingshadow Guest

back in the saddle again

Red and I went out and found 4 of 5 today. Three virtual caches and two micro. No bees.....

W O W ! ! That's quite a story. Glad to see you are back in the hunt. Thanks for sharing this story with us. I know it's impossible to avoid every mishap, but if it makes people just a little bit more aware of their surroundings, some good will come of it. Stay safe!
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile