Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arkansas Game & Fish Commission Update!

There has been no announcement on this issue that I can find.

I sent a message last week, but did not get a response. I called the Commission today and left a message with the secretary. Hope to hear something soon....

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

I finally got a phone call from the AGFC today. There is a team that is currently doing surveys to determine the areas they would like to be excluded. This team will be briefing the Commission later this month. They also plan to post some additional information about geocaching to the AGFC web site.

Wayne
    View my profile

Status update

Do we have a status update on this? It has been four full months since the last post. Has AGFC completed their items?

STW

I haven't heard the progress, but I'll try to get an update tomorrow.

Wayne
    View my profile

I'm told that this project is still in progress. Revision of the policy has been turned over to the Wildlife Management division, since they are in charge of the management for most of the AG&FC land. Apparently there are some code revisions that still need to be made...

Wayne
    View my profile

thanks Wayne

We have an update from the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission. Here is a very broad overview of how the developing AG&FC policy will work:

Regarding nature centers, fish hatcheries, and any other place that there will be AG&FC employees stationed, the AG&FC will continue to maintain all caches on these properties.

Regarding wildlife management areas (WMAs), the AG&FC will select the location (coordinates) for cache sites. They have selected around 30 sites already, and plan to select more. Some sites will be restricted to virtuals only. When a site has been selected, it will be posted on the AG&FC web site. The first cacher to claim the site will be allowed to place a cache there and will be responsible for maintaining it. The cacher will be required to fill out a short permit form, which will be good for one year and may be renewed each year.

The AG&FC is not interested in trade caches, so they will request a logbook only. However, they will provide brochures to be placed in the cache to give more information about the area.

This system could be in place as early as July 2007.

It is the consensus of the Board that this policy falls short of our expectations, but we also believe that this step is in the right direction and that it is a great beginning to a developing relationship between geocachers and the AG&FC.

Board of Directors
    Arkansas Geocachers Association

Quote Originally Posted by "ArkGeo_Board

It is the consensus of the Board that this policy falls short of our expectations, but we also believe that this step is in the right direction and that it is a great beginning to a developing relationship between geocachers and the AG&FC.
    This is much ado about nothing. I am truly shocked that the AG&FC are such control freaks that THEY have to select the sites that will be allowed. In my humble opinion, why should I bother getting a permit for one of THEIR selected sites? I'll pass on this and stick with placing caches in our state parks, which are a lot more scenic than any AG&FC site that I've visited and which have OPENLY EMBRACED geocaching. -- ORR

P.S. Another thing to note is that virtuals are no longer allowed under the geocaching guidelines.

P.P.S. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the time and effort that the Board has put into this, including LadyEngineer's spearheading of the drive. However, it doesn't look like the AF&FC is very interested in supporting geocaching, and I find that very, very disappointing.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Team_Pink Guest
    Me too!

I have a AG&F license plate. I have filled out the paperwork for a personalize license plate like my avatar and will be dropping the $50/yr AG&F llicense plate and this decision is one of the reasons why.

So there, AG&F, take that!