Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arkansas Game & Fish Commission Update!

Arkansas Game & Fish Commission Update!

On Wednesday, September 13, two members of the ArkGeo Steering Committee were graciously invited to represent ArkGeo at the annual meeting of the Arkansas Game & Fish Commission in Little Rock. Our intention was to ask the Commission to allow the placement of geocaches on lands they own. We were given 10 minutes in which to make our case.

An oral presentation was given, accompanied by some printed materials for each of the Commissioners. These materials included:

A copy of the "Geocacher's Creed"
    An article entitiled "What Is Geocaching?"
    A list of members who indicated they wanted to be represented
    Pictures from a CITO event held at Beaverfork Lake
    A document entitled "An Arkansas Landowner's Guide to Geocaching"
    A copy of the Arkansas State Parks directive regarding geocaching
    A copy of the Arkansas State Parks Geocache Placement Permit

We are proud to report that the Commission was very impressed with the idea of geocaching and they were all in agreement that it would be another tool they could use to draw people to AG&FC-owned lands. Further, they believe (as do we) that geocaching offers several benefits.

The official vote by the Commission on the approval of this policy will be on Thursday, September 14. Details about the new policy will be forthcoming. However, the Commission clearly indicated that they would like to work with ArkGeo during its creation.

Finally, THANK YOU to all those who sent us information and helpful suggestions and comments!!! It was very much appreciated!

ArkGeo is a significant part of the "face" of geocaching in Arkansas. Let's continue to be good representatives for geocaching and let the AG&FC (and others) see just how great a group of people we really are!

Steering Committee
    Arkansas Geocachers Association

nonnipoppy Guest
    Congratulations Gaddiel and Top_Kitty98 on a job very well done... Lets hope tomorrows vote goes well as I'm sure it will....poppy

flannelman Guest
    Thanks to Gaddiel and top kitty for representing us. I would also like to that LadyE for laying the groundwork for this.

GOOD JOB GUYS!!!!

A HUGE thank you to Gaddiel and Topkitty for the great representation at the AG&F meeting today. I don't think we could have asked for better. Also, I echo flannelman in thanking LE for all her hard work and persistence in getting it all set up. A fantastic job guys and it's very much appreciated.

All of the credit for this one goes to LadyEngineer. When we got in there to give the presentation, they were ready for us. I appreciate the multiple months of groundwork, numerous phone calls, and lots of time spent working on the presentation. Thank you, LE!
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

TheAlabamaRambler Guest

Excellent!

Great work! It will be interesting to see the results.

Geocachers across the nation face the same issues, and I know several of you have put much effort into this already, but I would like to ask for more!

Would you be interested in writing this up, a "How we approached LandOwner X" article that outlines the preparatory behind-the-scenes work as well as the presentation and materials created.

Many folks fail to do the preparation, get an appointment, show up cold and try to wing it. Your work as an example approach and guide to laying the groundwork could be invaluable to them.

Alabama cachers had the same basic approach and success on Conservation and Land Trust lands, as have others, so would there be any interest in combining your experience with theirs to make a larger and more varied article?

I suspect that gc.com, GeocachingU and Today's Cacher would all publish it.

Thanks in advance for considering it!
    Ed

That sounds like a great idea. I'd be willing to contribute in any way I can. It may take me a while, but I could probably throw together an article about the approach we took, obstacles encountered, and good suggestions we received...

Wayne
    View my profile

Team_Pink Guest
    I would love to see the:

A document entitled "An Arkansas Landowner's Guide to Geocaching"

Is it something that you can make available for download? I bet you are thinking "this steering committee stuff is starting to sound like work"!

This document can now be found in our "Downloads" section, under the "Articles and Brochures" heading.

By the way, if you hosted a CITO event in 2005 or 2006, I'd like to include it in this document. Please send me the GC.com waypoint name and a brief description.

Wayne
    View my profile

Re: Arkansas Game & Fish Commission Update!

Quote Originally Posted by ArkGeo_Committee
    The official vote by the Commission on the approval of this policy will be on Thursday, September 14. Details about the new policy will be forthcoming. However, the Commission clearly indicated that they would like to work with ArkGeo during its creation.
    How did the vote go? Is there any further information on how this is progressing? -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen