Thread: GC site question

Q Guest

GC site question

I like the search for cache page showing which ones I have marked found, but can I do that without having to make a log entry? Some I want to comment on and some maybe not.

Are you asking if there is a way to search for caches you have not found? If so, the answer is yes. It is called a Pocket Query. It is a premium member feature on the GC web site. $30.00/year for premium membership. Well worth the money.

Or you can click on the (filter out finds) on your My Account page to display a running list of caches closest to your Home coordinates and spreading out.

Or are you asking about the Hide and Seek a Cach page?

STW

Team_Pink Guest
    I'm not sure I understand the question either. If you find a cache and don't want to log it, there is no way to track your finds on GC.com.
    I highly recommend the premium membership and purchasing GSAK. GSAK is a database that you keep current with Pocket Queries and it is also a tool for loading your GPS, determining an efficient way to search for caches and other cool stuff.

geowoodstock Guest
    I think you might be asking if you can log a find without giving a response on the cache page/log itself. If this is so, I haven't found a way to do it yet. But I have seen some logs just saying "TFTC" (thanks for the cache) or something short like that.

Just remember though, that part of the fun of geocaching is reading logs on caches you own left by others sharing their experience. Even on the micros, it is fun to tell a funny story that happened while on that trip or at that cache if possible. If you don't have anything happening on your geocaching trips...you might need to borrow my kids for your next adventure!!

Q Guest
    Sorry not clear. I like the little red check by the ones I have found. I do not always have something to tell the log. But the only way I saw to mark as found was to enter a log entry. Short and sweet will hafta work, I rekon. I was wondering if I could mark as found without an actual log entry.

I like flipping thru log books while my kids dig thru toys. Hey G'stock, the more the merrier??

TheAlabamaRambler Guest

no log

Yes, you have to actually submit a found cache log to get credit for the find.

No, it doesn't have to actually say anything. A log containing any character, even a single non-displaying special character or just a period (I don't think a space or tab will do) is all you need.

Still, the advice above about leaving some sort of written log will be apppreciated.

Something as non-descript as "Found this one on a nice day caching" will suffice if you don't have anything good to say about the cache.

Ed

5beavers Guest
    Just adding to what has been said, the more you cache the more trick you will pickup. if you run into a fellow cacher on the trail you will proably pick-up some tricks. And events are great places to discuss and learn more about caching.
    keep on caching

Team_Pink Guest
    And speaking of events, being in Bee Branch you are smack dab in the middle of two events in October. One to your east on the 8th and one to your west on the 14th.

Quote Originally Posted by Q
    I do not always have something to tell the log. ... Short and sweet will hafta work, I rekon. I was wondering if I could mark as found without an actual log entry.
    Most cacher owners I know appreciate more than just a TFTC log. To paraphrase one of those great cachers from Clarksville, the owner has gone to a lot of trouble to place and maintain the cache. The very least you can do is write a little down about your experience. Granted, some caches are more memorable than others (for example, skirt caches are really getting OLD!). But it's a way of repaying the owner for their effort. "The more you write, the more we like it." -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen