Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for my 100th find.

flannelman Guest

Suggestions for my 100th find.

I'm closing in on 100 and would like to go after a truly special cache to mark the event. Give me some ideas for a cache that you think I should make my 100th.

The rules:
    1. The cache must be in Arkansas.
    2. The cache must be in an interesting place.
    3. Cache size does not matter.
    4. No multi-cache, must be a stand alone.

So there it is. Help me decide which one to go for.

Depends on what you like in a cache...remoteness, a good hike, nice veiw, clever hide...

There is a thread about the best in Arkansas someplace, you could read through it.

My favorite that is out in your area would be the Rich Mountain Fire Tower cache. The cache itself is nothig special, but if you go on a day when they have the tower open to the public (certain saturdays) there is a great veiw from the top.

In the Little Rock area I like Stairway to Heaven for the great veiw of the river nearby, plus it's a decent hike in the city and for some of the same reasons I think my own Pinnacle East cache is pretty nice, though there are lots of muggles on the trail.

Out West I like Way up on the mountain which is a good hike along a little used trail with a good veiw and neat rock formations at the end.

Further North is a nice pair at King's Bluff/Pedestal Rocks for their scenic trails and rock formations.

If you are looking for clever go to Searcy and pick just about any of WW9's caches, though I especially liked Lil Red overlook.

I'm sure other will have other suggestions depending on their likes and dislikes....

AR_kayaker

For very personal reasons, in Searcy do MCD or Who Rocks? Both are in the same park, one on the same trail as Lil Red Overlook.

Around Little Rock, Flatside Pinnacle.

Running farther north, Glory Hole is wonderfully beautiful, hike in is easy, hike out is long and uphill. (HA) But you HAVE to go past the cache to see the hole and the biggest waterfall.

Little known, but a very pretty hike is Marinoni northwest of Clarksville.

OOOOO at Fairfield Bay: It's All Falling Together (I think that's the name.)

>^..^<

flannelman Guest
    Thanks for the suggestions. I generally go after the more remote caches or at least the not so urban. I don't mind urban micros, some of them have been the most challenging I Have found, I just don't like a lot of muggles. The Pinnacle caches have been on my list. I hiked up the east summit trail last May or June and thought it would be a great place for a cache. I DNF'd Flatside last year but just haven't been back yet so that is a possibility as well. Keep up the suggestions and I'll sort through them as you post them.

Here is one that I've adopted and never found but I'm going to have to go see it. I've read the logs and it supposed to be awsome. Wedington trail
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    Flannelman, take a look at OHT #1 - White Rock Mountain here. Time it during the fall color season to double your pleasure.

White Rock Mountain is a high plateau that is like a peninsula that sticks out in the sky instead of the sea. It has circular trail around the edge with spectacular overlooks in many directions.

One caveat: The trail comes dangerously close to the edge in some places with no guard rails. There have been a few people that have fallen to their deaths over the years. If you go on the trail with children, they must absolutely be kept under control.

There are other areas that are very safe and there are cabins to rent if you so desire.

Alum Cove Awesome trail with a natural bridge over a waterfall - cache in a cave-alcove sorta deal. You can walk through the cave/grotto ish thing like walking through a tunnel. Very nice

flannelman Guest
    I have bookmarked all of these suggestions and I will continue to take suggestions until September 30th. Maybe by then I'll have 90 finds so I can do a top 10 countdown to 100. Keep coming with the suggestions. All of these look great!!

I like Flatside Pinnacle. Also, Forked Mtn. is not too far from you, and I kind of like that one! -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

cachemates Guest
    There is a cache near Jessieville named "Man, what a climb." It is remote, it is in Arkansas, and it is not a multi. It is a great cache for a 100th find. It is one you will not forget going up or coming down. OH, I forgot flannelman, that is your cache. It is one I would recommend to anyone, their 1st or 100th.