Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many in a day? 5? 10? more?

Q Guest

How many in a day? 5? 10? more?

We did an after school run yesterday and would have gone for #4 had a visit to the little boys room and a mile plus walk come into play. How many sites are normally found in a good hunting day?

According to the Cache Stats program, our best day was 15. We aren't power-cachers, by any stretch, but I remember that day we didn't have our 4-year-old with us, so it was a little easier to keep moving...
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

flannelman Guest
    Well sometimes I do pretty good and get 10 or so a day but most of the time it is in the 4-6 range. I go after a lot of remote caches so it takes more time.

CaptainB Guest
    I think it would depend upon how many caches are in the area, and how far you have to walk to get to them. Seems to me there is two ways to go for caches. The scenic ones, which you may have to walk for a mile or farther to get too. But those are the ones that I really enjoy. I like to take in every thing around me and just savor it, because I will probable never pass this way again. Then you have others that are just quick and easy finds. The ones that are close together, you don't have to walk far to get. Seems like those are the ones that just adds up your number of finds. We have done as many as 22 in one day. That was when Captain B and Tech Guy was competing to see who could get to #200 finds first and then again at #300 finds. During those cache hunts, we ate after going through the drive through at McDonalds, you sign the log book without looking at anything around you, and don't even think about more than one bathroom break. But you know, I also enjoy finding just one or two in a day. I guess it is just different strokes for different folks. Queen

mountainborn Guest
    The "CACHEMATES" and the "MOUNTAINBORNs" teamed up one hot day this summer to go to Fort Chaffee near Ft. Smith.
    I had done a pocket query centered on ARKANSAS STICKER DUDE's, "ALMOST THE CENTER" cache. My thinking was that it would be almost in the center of Fort Chaffee, he, he, . Well, that devious rascal Sticker Dude had put a spin on the caches name, and it made for a most intresting hunt !
    We found 40 that day, but if you divide the total by the number of cachers involved, we still only averaged about 10 caches each.
    A great day in the outdoors with friends. We met for breakfast over 50 miles away from home, before daylight and by 0800 hours had found over ten caches.
    Stopping for lunch and to absorb all the "store bought air" we could hold, slowed things down a bit.
    The bottom line is we went at a pace that we were comfortable with so that it did not diminish our fun time.
    You will hear much talk about numbers, but this sport is about fun. Numbers will just be a byproduct of having fun.
    Please remember to have fun, let the numbers just happen as they may.

When I go out I try to average 40 a say on a power run. I have done 73 in a day before.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

Q Guest
    Wow! No. I wuz jes curious. Our next runs are gonna be out in the woods so I doubt we will be doing bunches a day, but I have noticed they are clumped together pretty well. Cleveland, Jerusalem area and Richland Creek neighbor hood.

Fun is most definitely the main objective. My 8 year old, Q, does most of the gps-ing. He wants to, so there ya go. He is learning and we are playing together. Like the beer commercials used to say...it don't get no better than this!

Ltfightr Guest
    I think our most was 13 in one day. Now if we go over a day of caching we will get about 7ish. It all depends on where and what type we are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Q
    Our next runs are gonna be out in the woods so I doubt we will be doing bunches a day, but I have noticed they are clumped together pretty well. Cleveland, Jerusalem area and Richland Creek neighbor hood.
    If you cache in that area, I would plan on 1 cache per hour. Although the caches seem to be clumped together, driving between them on forest roads takes a while. Also, sometimes the roads meander a while and seem to take forever to get you to the cache area.

Regarding how many finds in a typical day, it all depends on whether you are hunting in an urban or rural area. I think my all time high was 32 in a day, but that was all in an urban area. Also, I was hunting solo, which is my preferred MO, but which also limits my finds in a day because there is only one pair of eyes looking for the cache. In a rural area, I usually try to go to an area and find all in that vicinity, to make my trip worth while. But last weekend, I found 6 on Saturday and they were all in backcountry areas of the Ozark NF. 3 of the 6 involved a hike that ended up being about 4 miles long roundtrip. My numbers weren't great for that day, but I was VERY satisfied with my day. Also, this past Friday, I only found 3. But again, they were in the backwoods of the Ozark NF. Although no significant hiking was involved, it still took a while to drive there.

My point is this. Don't get hung up on how many you can find in a day. Instead, just pick a target area, figure out how much time you want to allow for the day's hunt, and go out and enjoy yourself! -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

I think my best power run was 53 and have had several 40+ runs. My best solo hunt was 20. Starting to work on some of the rural places lately.
    What fun!!!