Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How ya'll do it??

bmwrider1 Guest
    Thanks guys for all the help. I did figure out with all the help I got how to have different locations in my hand held.

I got it on ebay for about $25.

I ordered a new cable that is supposed to hook my IIIxe up to the USB port. My laptop does not have the serial port. I just have to go to wally world and pick it up. It it doesnt work it is easy to take it back there. Some of the other places that would not be true. It was also the least expensive place I could find and shipping is free if you ship it to the store.

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    I bought a Radio Shack USB to serial adaptor and it worked great once I figured out a few things. Maybe I can save you a headache down the line.

Plug and Play didn't work with the adaptor. My laptop has 4 USP ports and they each have a specific serial port assigned - serial port 5, 6, 7 or 8. I had to configure the software that comes with the adaptor and the port # in the GPS all to the correct physical USB port. (I'm guessing the PDA has to have the port # set in it like the GPS, but I don't know for sure.) It took some trial and error to make it work the first time but after that I just had to be sure that I plugged it up to the same USB port and it worked without any reconfiguring. If I plugged it into a different USB port it wouldn't work.

I hope you get it working with a minimum of trouble. It worked faithfully for me until my Garmin GPS suffered a catastrophic accident. I replaced it with a Magellan eXplorist 210 which came with a USB connection. I liked the look and feel of my Garmin Legend better but I liked the information that the eXplorist captures better. By using a Pocket Query, importing it into GSAK, and then into my eXplorist, I get the Name, Cache ID, Owner, Type, Container, Coordinates, Date Placed, Last Found Date, Difficulty rating, Terrain rating and Hint. Just about everything you would want except the long description. Sometimes I might read it before I go out but more and more I just load my GPS and take off. I did that at the Lake Greeson caches, a very unusual set of caches with some real toughies, and I found 7 out of 9.

You can run macros to fit some of this information into the limited number of fields in other GPS, but I like to just load it and go - a sort of geocaching version of Plug and Play.

I kind of got off topic, but welcome to the world of paperless geocaching.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by nonnipoppy
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell72901
    "This is pretty helpful on some gnarly hides.....poppy"

Gee, I wonder if there will be any new "gnarly hides" in Cacheville soon! LOL

I use the same setup when away from home area. Laptop, GSAK, palm, cachemates and MS Streets & Trips. Keeps me from getting toooooo lost.
    For your seeking pleasure you might just look at FlatRock GeoPark numbers 1 thru 16 I believe....poppy
    OK, I did those today, what is next!!!!!! Enjoy the logs!

ARWindstalker Guest
    I find that the best way to make a power run is to go with a bunch of folks that already have all the equipment and know how to use it. That way you can just tag along and let them worry about how to get to the caches!! LOL!!

Mike you better be careful..you could bite off more than you could chew!! LOL!!.