Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How ya'll do it??

nonnipoppy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider1
    I have cachemate and gsak can I make seperate folders for different areas to cache in? Such as a folder for NW Arkansas and a different one for SW Arkansas? If so please tell me how to do this. I have the palm iiixe
    Yes.
    On the main Cachemate screen use the down arrow on the right side of the screen to add additional catagories, naming them what you want.

After syncing your Palm you have an option of what catagory you want to import to. Select the one you want this D/L to be in.

The main screen default view is all databases. I do not find this to be a problem. You may find that the IIIxe's performance slows a bit depending on how many caches you load......poppy

Quote Originally Posted by nonnipoppy
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider1
    I have cachemate and gsak can I make seperate folders for different areas to cache in? Such as a folder for NW Arkansas and a different one for SW Arkansas? If so please tell me how to do this. I have the palm iiixe
    Yes.
    On the main Cachemate screen use the down arrow on the right side of the screen to add additional catagories, naming them what you want.

After syncing your Palm you have an option of what catagory you want to import to. Select the one you want this D/L to be in.

The main screen default view is all databases. I do not find this to be a problem. You may find that the IIIxe's performance slows a bit depending on how many caches you load......poppy
    Hmmm... I run several PQs centered on cities around the state. So, I could name my Cachemate categories to match the name of the city that my PQ centers around, right? If so, that would certainly cut down on the number of records to have to wade through when trying to find a cache on the Palm...

Wayne
    (I'm slow, but I'm learning...)
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

nonnipoppy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaddiel
    Hmmm... I run several PQs centered on cities around the state. So, I could name my Cachemate categories to match the name of the city that my PQ centers around, right? If so, that would certainly cut down on the number of records to have to wade through when trying to find a cache on the Palm...

Wayne
    (I'm slow, but I'm learning...)
    Yes you can. The part I left off this morning is that you should open a new database in GSAK for each category. For example I have folders on my desktop named: Ark not found, Found Caches, trip, Clarksville, Dallas, etc.

I save the corresponding PQ to the correct folder. Then I open GSAK and select the correct database. GSAK remembers what location it read the PQ in last. I open the PQ and do whatever I want, study, export to MapSource, bla-bla-bla.

Then we do an export to cachemate from GSAK.

Sync the Palm device.

And after the sync is complete, when opening Cachemate It asks what catagory it should place the file in. Here we select the proper category.

Now my question is why break up the different parts of the state? My PQ gives me the 450 closest caches to my home (excluding those 5 terrain jobbies) and that is sufficient for me. BTW I am not being critical here just curious.

When we use the palm we have it set to see all caches regardless of the category. We can just update as necessary.

PS I think I understand that keeping a database on, let's say, Arkansas caches and updating it regularly will allow you to see more than 4 past logs on a cache page, if they exist. This is pretty helpful on some gnarly hides.....poppy

"This is pretty helpful on some gnarly hides.....poppy"

Gee, I wonder if there will be any new "gnarly hides" in Cacheville soon! LOL

I use the same setup when away from home area. Laptop, GSAK, palm, cachemates and MS Streets & Trips. Keeps me from getting toooooo lost.

nonnipoppy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell72901
    "This is pretty helpful on some gnarly hides.....poppy"

Gee, I wonder if there will be any new "gnarly hides" in Cacheville soon! LOL

I use the same setup when away from home area. Laptop, GSAK, palm, cachemates and MS Streets & Trips. Keeps me from getting toooooo lost.
    For your seeking pleasure you might just look at FlatRock GeoPark numbers 1 thru 16 I believe....poppy

Hmmm... I run several PQs centered on cities around the state.
    ... why break up the different parts of the state? My PQ gives me the 450 closest caches to my home (excluding those 5 terrain jobbies) and that is sufficient for me.
    LOL. The answer to your question should be obvious by looking at my profile. If I run a query for the 470 closest unfound caches to Conway, my query barely reaches Russellville on the west side and not even to Searcy on the east side!

I think it's safe to say that you have found one or two more caches than we have... (Yeah, yeah, I know. You're probably saying "Get busy and find some CACHES, Gaddiel!!!")

Wayne
    View my profile

nonnipoppy Guest
    Hmmm... I run several PQs centered on cities around the state.
    ... why break up the different parts of the state? My PQ gives me the 450 closest caches to my home (excluding those 5 terrain jobbies) and that is sufficient for me.
    LOL. The answer to your question should be obvious by looking at my profile. If I run a query for the 470 closest unfound caches to Conway, my query barely reaches Russellville on the west side and not even to Searcy on the east side!

I think it's safe to say that you have found one or two more caches than we have... (Yeah, yeah, I know. You're probably saying "Get busy and find some CACHES, Gaddiel!!!")

Wayne
    Ah so! The answer is that the area is outside the home PQ. Please pardon my obvious stupidity. You are doing the same thing that I am. Doh!....poppy

Hey folks. I’m new at this geocaching stuff and don’t understand anything you guys are talking about. I’m a tech illiterate (mostly just illiterate) but am trying to learn as much as possible about the gadgets that can be used to make geocaching a little bit easier.

Going paperless with a PDA sounds good but I am financially challenged since I rely only on social security for my income. I cannot experiment with different gadgets So maybe you guys or gals can help me with your experience before I make a mistake.

I am thinking about purchasing a Palm iiixe on Ebay since it seems to be the least expensive PDA listed. This seems to be an older model and only says it will work on the older windows os. The specifications do not say it will work on XP but they were printed before XP was released. I know that some games and programs that run on windows 98, ME, or 2000 will not work with XP so I am afraid to purchase this unit until someone with experience tells me it will work on my computer.

Now the question. Does this PDA interface with a computer running windows XP ?

Wheew. A lot of posting just to ask a simple question.

Quote Originally Posted by searcykid
    I am thinking about purchasing a Palm iiixe on Ebay since it seems to be the least expensive PDA listed. This seems to be an older model and only says it will work on the older windows os. The specifications do not say it will work on XP but they were printed before XP was released. I know that some games and programs that run on windows 98, ME, or 2000 will not work with XP so I am afraid to purchase this unit until someone with experience tells me it will work on my computer.

Now the question. Does this PDA interface with a computer running windows XP ?
    Yes. We have a Palm IIIxe that we got on eBay. and it works fine on XP. Just make sure it comes with the cradle, cables, and software. Also, make sure you have a serial port available on your PC, since this is what it uses to connect.

Wayne
    View my profile

Thanks a million Gaddiel for the info.

I knew someone would be able to help me. All the folks in geocaching are so friendly and helpful.

Its a great hobby with a lot of great people.