Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How ya'll do it??

mountainborn Guest
    Here is a article that I found most helpful.
    http://arkgeocaching.org/modules.php...showpage&pid=8

geowoodstock Guest
    Okay...I have the palm iiixe in hand. Now I need to get Cachemate, right? Then just go through the instructions at http://arkgeocaching.org/modules.php?na ... page&pid=8 ?

I'll be trying this in the next few days, so if you hear someone calling out for help, you know it will be me!!

Quote Originally Posted by geowoodstock
    Okay...I have the palm iiixe in hand.
    That's the model my wife uses, so let me know if you run into trouble...

By the way, for converting the gpx file to one that the Palm can read, I use GSAK instead of Cachemate. On the GSAK menu bar you will want to go to File>Export>CacheMate PDB file. From there the Export CacheMate PDB file dialog box will appear. Give your file a name and tell GSAK where to write it to and most importantly check the box that says "Install to Palm after conversion", and then click the Generate button. GSAK will then create the file and inform you that the next time you "HotSync" your Palm, the file will be imported into your Palm.

(I got this info from a great article at the Florida Caching web site.)

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

jcblough Guest
    You get this set up and working, you'll be so spoiled. I keep my palm in my caching pack w/ like 800 caches on it. It is sooooo nice.

OB1kenOB Guest
    I'm a PALM fan, had a treo before the GPS.
    At first I edited and printed information from the cache page, and took that along with my GPS with coordinates manually entered. Cost? Aside from the GPS, paper, ink, and web access: "$0.00" and I found caches and had lots of fun.
    After I got hooked (probably half a dozen caches) I (for a very small fee, compared to it's usefulness) went premium membership at geocaching.com for pocket caches, regestered (for a very small fee, compared to it's usefulness) GSAK, and purchased (for a very small fee, compared to it's usefulness) cachemate for the treo. I also (for a very small fee, compared to it's usefulness) went to premium membership at GoogleEarth so I could upload my waymarks and review sattellite images before a hunt.
    Do you "need" all that to have fun? of course not.
    Just feeding my inner nerd.

yogi Guest
    I run my laptop in the truck with GSAK and I use Garmin gps 18 with nroute so the laptop is my gps with a 15 in screen. I use a garmin 60csx handheld. So i track and navigate with the laptop and then when we get out of the truck we use the handheld for the rest of the hunt.

RugerPilot345 Guest
    You are the man Yogi, hey post me a pic on how you have your laptop setup in your truck, I want to do that when I get back and am looking for tips on hop to make it fit, be secure and be functional.......lok forward to your setup!!

Cool!!

nonnipoppy Guest
    Well since you ask.

We use GSAK to open and organize the PQ from GC.com, usually about 475 caches. Generally we export those to Mapsource and study the cache density and possible routing. We often print maps of our target area.

Then we export to Cachemate for our Palm Tungsten. For backup purposes when traveling great distances or for longer periods we also load the info into Cachemate on our Treo phone.

Next we load all cache and maps into a Garmin 60CS and into a Garmin 2610 Street Pilot (this is why we only do 475 it is limited to 500 waypoints.)

If we are going to attempt a maximum number of caches we will export from GSAK to MS Streets and Trips to plan a turn by turn directional route. A German friend of ours says we Americans do everything about caching but meticulously plan our approach. Sometimes we feel like that and other times we do not.

Then we load everything up in the vehicle and hit the trail.

naturalcachers Guest
    I just print out the pages and stash them in my backpack. sometimes i'll arrange them by area so when i go on a multi hunt they're easy to find. i'm sorry to say I got lost with the rest of the gadgets, altho i've heard of a palm before, just no clue how to load anything on it. ah well, guess my gpsr is the most techno-advanced thing i have (and the most fun!) :P

bmwrider1 Guest
    I have cachemate and gsak can I make seperate folders for different areas to cache in? Such as a folder for NW Arkansas and a different one for SW Arkansas? If so please tell me how to do this. I have the palm iiixe