Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Ammo Cans (50cal.)

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ar_kayaker
    The 50 cal cans are the narrow cans, about 4 inches, as opposed to the 5.56 which are 6 inches...or do I have it backwards?
    As best I recall the 50 cal ammo cans should measure 11.5 X 7 X 6 or in that area.... it all depends. Some call it 11 X 7 x 6, some call it 11 X 6.5 X 6, etc.
    The thin ones you see around here are mostly likely 30 cal.
    Training centers use a lot of 30cal to shoot over the heads of trainees. etc. But there are some odd cans from other countries and even some I don't know anything about.
    Most mil cans will say 7.62 by something (7.62 X…. ) The something is very important when determining the size of the cartridge length so the size of the can it would take to hold them.
    7.62 X 25 is a pistol cartridge only about 1 3/8th” long.
    7.62 X 54 is a huge Russian rifle cartridge that will put a hurt on your shoulder.
    7.62 X 51 is the NATO round also called a 308
    There are many more of them 3006,etc all of them are actually 30cal. but "30cal" refers to a much used small WWII rifle round with about the same ballistics as the AK47 (7.62 X 39) round.
    The 5.56 X 45 (.223) is the new NATO round like used in Nam (AR15)
    All this is not to confuse but just to let you know, it is what comes after the X that counts the most, right?

Any way, let's plan on buying all of them or at least 200-500.
    They don't eat much so holding them will not hurt all that much.
    BPNJ

Jerry, I'll take at least 20. More if needed to buy the whole skid. Just let me know and thanks.

Q Guest
    Well... I was thinking 5, but at that new improved price may as well get 10. Sign me up for 10. Will you PM when it happens? What are the details with that? Where is Glenwood? I will be in Spa city area late this month.

cachemates Guest
    We might not want all the cans he has. I forgot to mention he has appox. 3,000 cans. The cans are like BPNJ described. 11x7x6 he don't have any of the smaller cans. I think there are 160 cans to a pallet. The problem is, the cans are stacked between two old 18 wheeler trailers and he doesn't have a forklift. There is not much room between the trailers to get to the cans, so I would need some help getting the cans out if we get full pallet.
    We might have a get-together at a resturant in Hot Springs then go down and pick up the cans. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by cachemates
    ...I would need some help getting the cans out if we get full pallet.
    We might have a get-together at a resturant in Hot Springs then go down and pick up the cans. Just a thought.
    Not a bad thought either. I already have plans for this weekend, but I've got a longbed pickup that can help haul quit a few away to a more central location. At a rough guess I can put 200 in the bed of the truck without having to use a tarp or anything. Does anyone have a good storage space like a barn?

A get together to get the cans sounds great Jerry. Just let me know when and where and I'll try my best to be there. Thanks again for all your work on this.

polijn Guest
    If they're just a $1, I'll definately want more too. I'm in Hot Springs, so as long as I can get out of work, I'll help however I can. Lemme know a date.

I would like to have 10 please.

>^..^<

Team_Pink Guest
    I'll take 20.

A trip to Hot Springs raises the price for me pretty significantly though. Maybe I could talk Woodwalker into transporting some to Searcy?

Tech_guy, that would not be a problem. I'd be glad to do it.