Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hosts for MOGA 2007?

Re: Hosts for MOGA 2007?

Quote Originally Posted by SpankytheWizard
    One of the items that was brought up by Brawny Bear at MOGA 2006 was the request that another group host MOGA 2007. So, I thought I would throw this out for discussion. My first thought is to have it at a northern Arkansas State Park and have a "South of the Border" theme. If we bring it a bit further south I think we will generate a lot more interest amongst Arkansas, Tennessee, and Louisiana cachers. Let's make Missouri drive a bit next year! I would also suggest if we decide to do this that we coordinate with Texas Geocachers Association to have it the weekend before GeoWoodstock 5 so everyone can plan vacation time to hit not one but two big caching events during a one week vacation time frame. This is something that will take a huge group effort. What are YOUR thoughts?

STW
    Well, I've got good news and bad news.

The "bad" news is MOGA 2007 is well into the planning stage and will be held at Mark Twain Lake near Hannibal, MO (100 miles No. of St. Louis) on March 23-25, 2007. The Army Corp of Engineers will be sponsoring the event. We will be placing 60 PERMANENT caches and the Corp plans to have about 50 more in place by the event. Contacts have been made with local motels for special rates, and camping and food will again be available at the event. More details to follow as we firm things up.

Now the "good " news is 2008 is open and we would love to see it in Arkansas. Over the last 30 years I've hiked and floated you state, and then cached since about 2002. Most of this was done No. of I-40 and you have a lot of beautiful and rugged areas.

2007 will be our 4th MOGA (actually 1st one was called MIGC) and we've learned a lot. We now work smarter and it runs very smooth. Hopefully our "expertise" will allow you to put on the event with very little difficulties. We will gladly give you guidence when needed but it will be "your" event. We normally keep $700-800 in reserve from the previous year as startup funds, and that would be available to you so there would be no out of pocket expense. Once the registrations start coming in, that gives you additional working capitol.

We hope you can get your group together and hold MOGA 2008.

We were glad to see everyone from AR that attended MOGA 2006 and we hope to see you again next March.

Rich (RGS)
    MOGA Planning Committee

Great ideas flannelman and ASD. All comments by flannelman are what I would like to see us ramp up. We (that's a generic "We" as in the association - I have not made any contacts myself) have been emailing, phone calling and informally chatting to members with the agencies but I think we need to "force" the issue and try to do some good-will lunch meetings with some of the higher ups in the larger state entities to put names to faces, get some materials in front of them and generate some positive influence.
    I think "force" is a little over the top, but otherwise, yes this is one of the things I was thinking of. Our ACC reps "do lunch" and the like with all sorts of agency representatives, on rare occasions even with senators and house members. It makes a whole lot of difference when you sit down with these people if you can say "We are hoping for your support/help with this issue..." rather than "I am hoping..."

Obviously the more members you can honestly claim to back the "we" claim the better. With the ACC "we" is the dues paying members, even though there are probably twice that number of non-paying people that hang out and paddle with us.

On the Devil's Den note: that is one of the areas that I have noticed. Most of the others at the very northern edges of the state seem to be more historical site state parks and I don't know if they have the land capacity or make-up to host a geocaching event. I would like to know if Ozark Folk Center or Mount Magazine are viable state parks. Any comments on those locations?

STW
    I think you are right about Devil's Den. It's a great park, but I don't think it has the facilities to support something like a big meet. Even the AMA meet would have been overwhelming for DD. Mount Magazine and it's new lodge would be much more conducive to any type of large gathering, after all that is what they designed the lodge for, small "conventions" and meetings. Also the park has more acreage and thus more potential for caches, though it is a little lacking in hiking trails.

polijn Guest
    You'd definately want to conatact any of the State Parks directly. They can reserve their sites/cabins/lodges up to 365 days in advance, all year round, until there's nothing left to reserve. I don't have a state parks guide handy, but several have pavilions and other accomodations for large groups. Some don't have anything at all - the historical ones. I'd also suggest one that already has or allows geocaching, because a few don't - the historical ones.

I'd suggest Mount Magazine - they just completely redid it and have a brand new lodge. Not sure what the pricing would be though, probably on the high end.

Never been to Devil's Den, not sure what it's like. Bull Shoals/White River might be nice. Or Petit Jean. It all depends on how many campsites you need and what other accomodations.

Lake Ouachita doesn't even have a pavillion, but we do host events here. We pretty much rent the entire area B for a run/kayak/bike Ozark Extreme race every August. But that's only 50 sites, with no water or electricity hookups at the individual sites. We get a good turnout though.

At Devils Den I co-sponsor the Arkansas State Mountain Bike race and they host 300 to 400 people easy for that event. I know that MOGA might be larger but just to show how big DD really is. I'm game for anywhere LETS DO IT!!!!!!!
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

MOGA defined refined sublimed

I seem to have started a few errant brush fires on other threads with my original posting here. Seems I made the biggest mistake by assuming that most everyone knew about MOGA because of earlier threads. So, here it goes: MOGA - Midwest Open Geocaching Adventure

A somewhat large Meet n' Greet that has been hosted by SLAGA (St. Louis Area Geocaching Association) and held in the great state of MO (or IL) the past few years. Simple as that. This past year I would say it was pretty much neck and neck with the Clarksville Third Time's MnG. I was at both. Crowds were pretty awesome at both. Nonnipoppy packed a lot into one day!

Finally, with MOGA 2007 spoken for, are we up for 2008? I think that gives everybody a little breathing room to think it over.

I will even go so far at this point as to step forward and volunteer to be the grand poobah and head coordinator for ARKGEO to start the dance and parlay with SLAGA and MOGA 2007 staff.

I think this is something we can, AND SHOULD, do! ( just a few caps for emphasis ASD!)

and one final note - don't get upset about this - but I put "force" in quotes in my earlier post not to over emphasize the word but, rather, to lessen its impact. If I wanted to really denote force I would have said FORCE. But, poppy, BPNJ, Gaddiel and others have always said it is hard to read emotion, thought and intent in an email or posting. I am not looking to usurp or overthrow. I want to see positive growth and acceptance of the sport.

STW

I still think it sounds GREAT (oooppppssss caps again) I think Spanky would be a great pooooooooooba. I'll even step foward to help him anyway he needs it.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!