Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hosts for MOGA 2007?

Hosts for MOGA 2007?

One of the items that was brought up by Brawny Bear at MOGA 2006 was the request that another group host MOGA 2007. So, I thought I would throw this out for discussion. My first thought is to have it at a northern Arkansas State Park and have a "South of the Border" theme. If we bring it a bit further south I think we will generate a lot more interest amongst Arkansas, Tennessee, and Louisiana cachers. Let's make Missouri drive a bit next year! I would also suggest if we decide to do this that we coordinate with Texas Geocachers Association to have it the weekend before GeoWoodstock 5 so everyone can plan vacation time to hit not one but two big caching events during a one week vacation time frame. This is something that will take a huge group effort. What are YOUR thoughts?

STW

I hate to totally show my ig-nerce, but what does MOGA stand for?

Midwest Open Geocaching Adventure - a geocaching event much along the lines of the much larger GeoWoodstock held in Texas.

http://www.geostl.com/SLAGAPostNuke/...article&sid=85

Three people to the left of the setter (your right) is your's truly in the red/white/black windbreaker and red hat. My son is to my left. I think NidoMio, maddlove and cachecarazies are in there too!

It has been an annual event for the past 3 years. ( Does that make it a tradition yet?) To date it has been hosted by the SLAGA members. They expressed a desire to have someone else carry the torch next year.

STW

Hey, I didn't know SLAGA had a podcast! Thanks for directing me to their home page!
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Delete this thread

One week. One question. One answer. One off topic post. Seventy-six views. I guess that pretty much answers the original question.

Hey, admin! Delete this thread.

STW

I think part of the problem Spanky is that our "association" is a very loose one. How can we manage to organize an event for people from the whole region when we ourselves aren't organized.

Of about 400 usernames, about 40 are active cachers, 20 post to the board on a regular basis, and maybe 5 are active in trying to do something for the club.

Even out of those that are active in trying get everyone to do something as a group, each has their own ideas and way of going about it.

Without a central guiding athourity I doubt we'll ever host anything bigger than something like the Alabama Meets Arkansas...and we didn't realy put that on, we just helped.

AR_kayaker

Here, here! What you said.

flannelman Guest
    Perhaps we need to become a more formal group. Elect some officers and set an agenda. The CITO events are a good way to get everyone togater for a good cause and it lets the community know about Geocaching in a positive way. We could poll the members to see what they would like to see happen and then get some committies togather to work on those projects. Some ideas could be working with state parks, AGFC, Core Rangers, and city officials to establish policies on Geocaching so we will have a better understanding between those entities and the geocaching community.

Just some ideas. Perhaps hosting this event would be the first organized thing that the AGA would undertake.

I'm all up for helping HOST to MOGA and I'll do anything to help. What are we thinking? Devils Den MAYBE?
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

Great ideas flannelman and ASD. All comments by flannelman are what I would like to see us ramp up. We (that's a generic "We" as in the association - I have not made any contacts myself) have been emailing, phone calling and informally chatting to members with the agencies but I think we need to "force" the issue and try to do some good-will lunch meetings with some of the higher ups in the larger state entities to put names to faces, get some materials in front of them and generate some positive influence.

On the Devil's Den note: that is one of the areas that I have noticed. Most of the others at the very northern edges of the state seem to be more historical site state parks and I don't know if they have the land capacity or make-up to host a geocaching event. I would like to know if Ozark Folk Center or Mount Magazine are viable state parks. Any comments on those locations?

STW