Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Might have lost a TB

Ltfightr Guest

Might have lost a TB

I know I shouldn't be upset about and this is the risk you run with letting them out in the world bur still.......

The guy who is holding on to it has had it for almost 2 months. I sent the first e-mail last week. When I didn't hear anything I just thought that it was because it was a hoilday weekend. So I sent the other one last night.

How long should I wait before I send another e-mail? What would you do?

I think I'm more mad that the guy who has it hadn't answered either of the e-mails I have sent him. And it's William's TB.

Any help?

Diana

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    I had one go mia/undropped and after a long time, plus lots of tracking of her movements to see if she had dropped it off somewhere, I contacted this person…got no response …contacted again…got no response…contacted them again and was told “I will check my back pack”. It has never be released by her and I assume will not. I was hoping maybe it would because the TBs she dropped off when taking mine had been held by her for about a year. I don’t know if she never was going to release it or if my asking her to release it made she decide to never release it but…
    TBs, like GeoCoins and Jeep-TBs have a way of disappearing.
    Sad to say but that is why there is a (very full) TB Cemetery at the G.C. forums. Not because of muggles who just don’t know what to do but mostly because of cachers who do know what to do with them. Sorry about Wil's TB. Mine was going to be given to the girl scout troop leader who owned the cache I started it out in, along with framed pictures of the sandcastles and maps of it's adventures. I was a lot more naive back then I guess.
    On the otherhand though, some folks don't cache as much as others and not all caches are suitable for dropping off TBs so I would just wait. The last cacher who had my TB "RUNNING WITH SCISSORS"had it for awhile but it was just to complete it's mission, and he did complete it's mission and even took some nice pictures doing it so if it goes mia I still have the proof that it actually did make it. Hope for the best, right?

I picked up 3 bugs and a coin to take on a trip last week. I wanted to place them all in separate caches. It took me finding the last cache on the way home to drop the last one. There just weren't alot of bigger than micro caches along the way that were accessable. I also wanted them where they would be picked up and carried fairly quickly. Three were picked up pretty fast and the other two are sitting. The 1 in a cemetery cache done in the rain in the dark left the next morning. The 3 in rest stop caches - 2 are still sitting. In all of the 18 caches we did, NONE had TBs there for me to pick up to bring here. I thought that was odd. True, we did do several virtuals but the others had none. Weird. You just never know!

cachecrazies Guest
    We've pretty much given up on setting out travel bugs. It's so disheartening to lose one!

We've contacted the last finders over & over - finally resorting to every six months or so, then finally giving them up as a lost cause. None of ours have ever "resurfaced" so we just give up on them. It's a shame when all the fun and expectation are thrown away so carelessly. But it happens over & over so we just don't expect a heck of a lot anymore!

I suppose my expectations have diminished over time, as well. We've only really owned one TB, which was apparently muggled in the first cache it visited. If we ever purchase another one, it will be released under the assumption that we will most likely never hear from it again. I realize that this sounds pretty cynical, but I don't think it's realistic to expect too much.

At least a couple of times, we've been guilty of holding a TB for over a month. It wasn't that we had forgotten or that we didn't know the proper procedure. We simply don't get to cache that much, and when we do, it seems that full-sized caches are hard to come by. It's for these reasons that we (generally) don't bother picking TBs up at all.

As for contacting the person that's holding it, I'd probably give up after a couple of attempts, each attempt seperated by two or three months. I figure that if a person is holding a TB, they either have a good reason or they don't. If they don't have a good reason, then nagging probably won't motivate them to take action. If, on the other hand, they DO have a good reason, they'll eventually move it along regardless. (Just my $.02)

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

cachemates Guest
    Our first TB had a cute black lab with his foot in the water bowl attached to it. It went from Daisy State Park to Little Rock and was lost in a cache that was muggled.

I started another one last year at the Clarksville Event. It was a little Armadillo I had picked up in Eureka Springs. It went as far as New Jersey and was lost, or kept. I won't be putting any more cute items on a TB. Make them so ugly you can hardly stand to pick it up, and it might survive.

I used my copy tag on the black lab and sent it out again. It was picked up in Utah on 12/25/04 it was finally released 10/14/05. The cacher would not return my emails. I just figured it was lost again, I sent one last email, my third, and he replied to that one and placed it in a cache.

We have a TB in Germany that is being moved quite often. We have another TB that "Rich Faith" was kind enough to take to Hawaii, place in different caches, and post pictures to the TB page. Cachers like that make TB's lots of fun.

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    Oops, I messed up the color code on this link and when trying to fix it I ended up adding another post.
    I'm sure glad this is the first mistake I've ever made.
    Anyway, see the link below to see what I was trying to do the first time.
    PS. I think we need a delete button on our edit page.
    BPNJ

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    Here is a link to the TB cemetery that I mentioned above.

TB cemetery

Edit: Still just working on the broke-down code. There was a digit missing before. (Like I'm only one digit shy of being alright? )

Ltfightr Guest
    Thanks, I've seen to TB graveyard before. Well, I guess if worst comes to worst I'll just put the copy tag and another whisle and let William "find"it the next time we go to a cache.

The thing that really makes me mad is that this guy won't email me back! I hate it when you ask someone a question and they ignore you. It is beyond rude. Be it a "Can you give me a hint" or "Have give me my TB back!"

Diana

DEEZER Guest
    My very first TB was picked up and taken to Chicago over two years ago. The guy who picked it up posted a picture of his son with the TB, using it as a teddy bear in bed. He never released the TB. I waited probably 6 months before I emailed him the first time. I've emailed probably 3 times total and have never got a response. I've looked at his profile and he hasn't visited the GC website since he posted the picture to the TB page. It is very irritating.