Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cut and paste logs

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    How many of these logs have y’all seen for your caches and for those you’ve found lately?
    “On our way to GW4 TFTC”
    Now that would be...cloned and copied and pasted.

My wife and I are fairly new to the geocaching community and so far we are having a blast.

I have noticed that many pairs and/or teams of geocachers have a single geocaching.com ID. My wife and I decided to go ahead and create separate ID’s. The main reason for this was in case we went geocaching at some time without the other, but so far all of our finds have been with each other. We also recently introduced our daughter to geocaching and set up her own gc.com ID.

My wife is not one that does very much on the computer and our daughter does not do much on the site yet, so I have logged their finds for them so far.

In my short time in geocaching I have 5 hides and look forward to checking my email to see if someone has found one and read what they had to say. I like to extend the same to those caches I find and write about our experience searching for their cache. I type my “Found It” log first and write a log entry that is unique to each cache. However, for my wife and daughter I usually cut and past a log for their “Found It” and refer back to my post. It’s not that they had nothing interesting to say it would just be repetitive and if I did not do it for them the find would never be logged online.

While on the topic of logs, I actually found a couple that I know and they found one of my caches and I noticed they never logged it online. When I read their ID on my physical log I found their profile on gc.com and it showed they only had 1 find. They told me they had found approximately 30 finds in the last 3 years and are only casual geocachers, but I guess they don’t log their finds online.

I cut and paste frequently when I have a long caching day and hit ten or twelve caches, but I also add something to the part that I cut and paste about the individual cache....if it deserves it.

For instance I might open with a paragraph about "I spent the day in the heresville and found x caches in the area....." which I'll cut and save for caches 2 thru whatever, but then I'll add individual notes about the cache I'm logging.

Something like "This one had a great view, (insert paragraph here) and was cool" for a good one, and for the Wal-mart, skirt lifting micro one sentence like "Wow, another perverted cache. whoo hoo."

If the hider wants to delete my log because they didn't like the cut'n'paste or feel that skirt lifting isn't perverted, they are free to delete it. It won't make their cache any more interesting or negate the fact that I found it. It won't mean jack to me because I'm not in it for the numbers. And it won't make me write something better for their next cache.

The only thing that will make me write something new, interesting, and unique about a cache is finding a new, interesting, and unique cache.

AR_kayaker

nonnipoppy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paris1time
    I have noticed that many pairs and/or teams of geocachers have a single geocaching.com ID. My wife and I decided to go ahead and create separate ID’s. The main reason for this was in case we went geocaching at some time without the other, but so far all of our finds have been with each other. We also recently introduced our daughter to geocaching and set up her own gc.com ID.

My wife is not one that does very much on the computer and our daughter does not do much on the site yet, so I have logged their finds for them so far.

In my short time in geocaching I have 5 hides and look forward to checking my email to see if someone has found one and read what they had to say. I like to extend the same to those caches I find and write about our experience searching for their cache. I type my “Found It” log first and write a log entry that is unique to each cache. However, for my wife and daughter I usually cut and past a log for their “Found It” and refer back to my post. It’s not that they had nothing interesting to say it would just be repetitive and if I did not do it for them the find would never be logged online.
    This is a situation that is IMHO understandable for those cut and paste type logs. nonnipoppy is a team of my wife and I if she had a seperate identity at GC.com it would probably not have any finds. She does not want to budget the time to log the caches. So they would be cut and paste or none at all.

The cacher mentioned in the original post was in the area that GWIV attendees created lots of cut and paste logs. Possibly that is a byproduct of lots of cachers being around and logging lots of caches and then forgetting them before the time to log. If I get three cache days behind in my logs then I can't remember the caches to write much individual info about. As I said in the original post I have also been guilty. It happens when we get really greedy in our caching.

Quote Originally Posted by paris1time
    While on the topic of logs, I actually found a couple that I know and they found one of my caches and I noticed they never logged it online. When I read their ID on my physical log I found their profile on gc.com and it showed they only had 1 find. They told me they had found approximately 30 finds in the last 3 years and are only casual geocachers, but I guess they don’t log their finds online.
    There seem to be some cachers that just don't care to log online. That is the way they play the game.

mountainborn Guest
    poppy said:
    There seem to be some cachers that just don't care to log online. That is the way they play the game.

>
    You know, that is one of the best parts of the game, each of us can do it the way we feel is most enjoyable for us.
    I don't much care for caches where the owner lays out strict guidelines for the completion to his satisfaction.

I love the "sweet" logs like the one below...........

"Well I don't like rocks and after this cache attempt I don't like you any more either. The nearby Bob White seemed to be mocking my failure with his darn incessant call. I wish I had a shotgun with me. [;D]"

......all in jest......he shall remain nameless.

ps. I left you a bone on the log.

cachemates Guest
    When a cacher places caches, his only reward for the expense, time, effort and maintainence of those caches are the logs of other cachers. That is the the reason we place caches. The logs give you some idea how you are doing placing your caches. I think we all enjoy reading good logs from others, I know I do. That is what I do most nights is read logs from most of your caches. If all I ever got was cut and pasted logs I would probably take up all my ammo cans, Drill holes in the bottom of them and plant flowers in them. Or make wind chimes out of them.

When we go somewhere over the weekend caching and find several caches, it takes me days, maybe even a week to get all of them logged. We usually write something down in a notebook about each cache so I can remember each one. I could copy and paste and be done in just a few minutes, but I feel the cache owner deserves more than that. Without his cache I wouldn't have anything to look for.

nonnipoppy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell72901
    I love the "sweet" logs like the one below...........

"Well I don't like rocks and after this cache attempt I don't like you any more either. The nearby Bob White seemed to be mocking my failure with his darn incessant call. I wish I had a shotgun with me. [;D]"

......all in jest......he shall remain nameless.

ps. I left you a bone on the log.
    I'll bet you it ain't cut and paste. Wanna bet

arkhiker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cachemates
    When a cacher places caches, his only reward for the expense, time, effort and maintainence of those caches are the logs of other cachers. That is the the reason we place caches. The logs give you some idea how you are doing placing your caches. I think we all enjoy reading good logs from others, I know I do. That is what I do most nights is read logs from most of your caches. If all I ever got was cut and pasted logs I would probably take up all my ammo cans, Drill holes in the bottom of them and plant flowers in them. Or make wind chimes out of them.
    This is why I put so much thought into my caches. I don't know if it shows, but I spend quite a bit of effort in what, how, and where my hides go. I have to say that I do all of it simply for the logs. I enjoy reading both compliments and suggestions on how I could improve.
    I recently placed a new cache in Conway. I spent the most time trying to figure out where to put it. I wanted it to be urban (as urban as Conway can get anyway). Since it is a rather large container, I brainstormed for days before settling on its present location. Since it was published, I have had two Found It logs, and both were interesting reads. This is reward enough for me.

I never thought of ammo cans as wind chimes. I wonder if the wife would go for that?!?

Normally when I make a cache run, I bring along a clip board with a list of the caches I plan to hunt sorted according to the route that I plan on using. Each time I find one, I write a brief comment regarding the container and how it was hidden. When I log the finds on the website, I then go through the list so that I can hopefully include something in the log relevant to each cache. This is particularly helpful if one finds more than just a few caches on a particular day.

It is not uncommon to see such things as, "Found it," and nothing else, which I don't particularly like, but most cachers seem to take enough time say a little more than that. I generally try to make my hides unique in some small way, hopefully to prompt more interesting logs. Some folks are much more creative than others, some have great difficulty in writing anything. It takes all kinds. Although I enjoy a good log, I appreciate any log because I am just happy that someone took the time to hunt for a cache, and hopefully had a good experience while doing so.