Thread: Noob in Lowell - Northwest Arkansas needs some ACTIVITY!

NeedForSpeed3685 Guest

Noob in Lowell - Northwest Arkansas needs some ACTIVITY!

Hey guys! I was interested in Geocaching today, and have already begun the adventurous fun! I've found a few geocaches already in the area, and will be purchasing a new Garmin hand-held GPS very soon to replace my outdated 8mb version.

I'll be starting a few new caches in Lowell, Rogers, Springdale, and Bentonville very soon!

WELCOME!!! Glad you found us, and glad to see that you are excited about geocaching!

Keep us updated on your progress and don't hesitate to ask questions...

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Needforspeed I live in Fort Smith and work in Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers, and Bentonville everyday If you need any help Feel Free to cantact me anytime at 479-461-9295 AND Welcome!!!!!!!!
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

NeedForSpeed3685 Guest
    Do ya'll usually take a FRS with you when you go geocaching? I have made arrangements to purchase a new Garmin GPS today, and I considered getting a new set of radios while I was at it. However, I already have a nice single unit, so it's not a high priority. Plus I don't want to spend the money on a nice one if nobody else uses them (Channel 2, right???).

I have radios but I have never used them. I usually use my phone its easier.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    I have 3 GMRS radios and they are very useful from time to time but I mostly cache alone and I’ve only used them once while caching.
    I realize this may come as a big shock to some of these techno geeky folks, who hunt parallel sticks in the woods, but not all of my family and/or friends have cell phones yet. Even a lot of those who do are on cricket and it may not work where we are traveling so the radios are helpful. Do I need new friends or what!

If you already think caching is fun wait until you have carved your own personal “Letter Boxing” stamp, found a “Nano Cache” smaller than your thumb, figured out a “Puzzle Cache”, moved a mad pygmy rattler off of a cache just to find a rubber snake inside, followed a Travel Bugs adventures all over the country or even fooled someone with a fake ?……? you made yourself.
    Anyway, welcome aboard, hope you enjoy the site, come back often and share your experiences and thoughts.
    BPNJ
    Edit: Because of my mention of the GMRS radios and so I don’t look like a radio bandit....WQCV531

geowoodstock Guest
    I have never really thought about caching with my radios. I use them when a group goes camping/hiking with the possibility of spliting up. I also used them at the Fall Festival geocache event in Oklahoma, but everyone was using them then.

You got me thinking though that it would be pretty neat if more geocachers used them while caching because phoning a friend isn't always an option. Maybe there are other cachers in the area that could help when needed.

While at Fort Chaffee this past Saturday, it would have come in handy on one cache for me and a different cache for another cacher. Also when I do travel to NWA area, the only person I would know to call is Stickerdude. I try not to use the option at all, but sometimes, all hope is gone.

It would just be a matter of getting other cachers to carry theirs with them while they are out too as it does no good if there is only one side to the conversation. Trust me, I've tried...hehehehehe!!

ChickenSteve Guest
    Hi all,

I live in Springdale. I've had a gps for years, and just bought one capable of using downloaded geocache data. I have no earthly idea where to find this kind of information, either downloadable, or one I would enter coordinates for myself. (Do you do that, or just find waypoints by looking at a piece of paper?)

Anyway, I love the outdoors and have a small farm in the Ozark National Forest. I was wondering if there were any geocache trails for ATV or dirt bike folks out in that area? There should be!

I'd love to try this geocache thing. Is there a site that tells you the basics? I've read the geocacher's creed... pretty basic. Now what?

ChickenSteve

NeedForSpeed3685 Guest
    www.geocaching.com should have all the information and resources you can handle! Would you be willing to sell your old GPS? What is it?

I had a fun trip to "Lutz...you're Nutz!" on Monday. Has anyone tried this one out? It's in a very interesting location (huge hill, up a FCC radio tower road, very steep, loose gravel), is hidden very well, and makes an adventure both getting to and leaving from this cache!

I'll be setting my own cache tonight and posting it up on here and over at the geocaching site. It's a 1.5 pound sour cream container painted camouflage brown. It'll be at the new Lowell park location that is currently under a very slow development process. The cache site will be a measly 200 yards from my back door! I've been gathering items for the cache today, and will record my coordinates tonight when I go to place it.

ChickenSteve Guest
    Thanks Need for Speed! I've downloaded about 50-70 points in the Springdale/Fayetteville area. I see there are even a couple within bicycle range from my house. I'll have to see if I can get the kids excited about it.

I also found several in the Ozark Nat'l Forest that we'll have to try and find this weekend. I have two friends from Holland joining us next week for a little four wheeling adventure.

I'm planning to keep my old unit as a backup. We're going to the Virgin Islands to bareboat charter a 47' sailboat and I think it a good idea to keep the old one as insurance.

I'll keep an eye out for the new sour cream can!

ChickenSteve