Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cut and paste logs

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Griswolds
    I think the only way to fight it is to find one of their caches and do the same. In fact, simply logging "cut and paste" might do it
    Great idea, Griswolds. You don't even have to find their caches. Go to their profile, log a note on every cache they have placed with "cut and paste."

On the flip side, when someone writes a good log for one of mine, I often send them an email telling them how much I appreciate it. It only takes a few clicks and a very few minutes and it reinforces their good habits.

Geezer

nonnipoppy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainborn
    The reason I place a cache is to let people have an opportunity to see a place I think is beautiful and worth seeing, or, a simple micro to help lead them into a area where a regular cache is located ( a trail marker ).
    Any demand that I place upon the finder of a cache would in my opinion diminish their overall geocaching experience.
    If they falsely say they have found the cache, they have not cheated me out of anything.
    They may have only cheated themselves out of a great out of doors experience.
    That is a choice they will make without any input from me.
    Because I want to enhance their experience, if I can, not diminish it.
    If they feel satisfied by signing the log only, or placing a sticker on the cache, or initialing the cache container, it is just fine with me.

I sometimes do not log a cache because the hider has showed so much attitude about their cache that they make a statement similar to:
    " if your signature is not in this log book your find will be deleted, I will check every one ".
    >
    My reasoning is this
    Logs get wet
    Logs get lost
    Logs get stolen
    Logs get too full
    Caches get put back in the wrong place
    Caches can be carried away by wildlife
    Caches can be ruined by contents that are placed in them
    >
    The list can just go on and on.
    >
    I have sat down after finding a cache and just enjoied the scenery, once I got to bird watching and took a nap, then just walked away, forgetting to even open the cache container.
    >
    So, what do you think I should have done about that particular cache ?
    Log it ?
    Not log it ?
    Only write a note to the cache page ?

Hey Mountainborn, I was referring to the log posted on the cache page.
    I seldom write anything more than date/name/Clarksville Ar on the cache logs but the log on the cache page is different......That's what I'm talkin about.......poppy

nonnipoppy Guest
    I think the only way to fight it is to find one of their caches and do the same. In fact, simply logging "cut and paste" might do it
    This is an interesting idea as is Geezer's.

But on the bright side, it only takes one real good log entry to make up for a dozen bad ones. And a REALLY good log entry will get me motivated to hide more caches.
    Amen on this, one good log helps salve a lot of TFTCs.

mountainborn Guest
    poppy said:
    Hey Mountainborn, I was referring to the log posted on the cache page.
    I seldom write anything more than date/name/Clarksville Ar on the cache logs but the log on the cache page is different......That's what I'm talkin about.......poppy
    >
    Right, but if any of those things happen to the cache log then the owner won't see the signature and could delete your find. If they were one of those demanding types that require you to be on the cache log or they will delete.
    >
    So even if you had the greatest of times hunting their cache, and wrote the most glowing of reports, it could be deleted because something happened to the cache log. They would assume that you had not been there and were falsely logging a find.
    >
    My point is that the hider's attitude can damage the over all experience, by placing demands upon the finder.

nonnipoppy Guest
    Well truthfull I have not taken the time to compare the cache logs with the online logs for the reasons you stated. They aren't cheating me. I have just had a rash of cut and paste logs recently that kind of irratated me.....poppy

mountainborn Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nonnipoppy
    Well truthfull I have not taken the time to compare the cache logs with the online logs for the reasons you stated. They aren't cheating me. I have just had a rash of cut and paste logs recently that kind of irratated me.....poppy
    >
    You are right, if the cache owner compares the logs against each other then finds reasons to delete they are trying to make themself the "enforcer".
    For me it is not about trying to make every one geocache as I think it should be.
    >
    To me a cut paste log entry is the finder missing out on a good chance to tell about just how much fun they had.
    >
    Yeh, I guess we all feel a little "short changed' when we get a copy paste log entry on a cache we have hidden.

arkhiker Guest
    I've never compared the physical logs with the online logs either. I have retrieved a few logs from my caches where the most that was written was what was taken and what was left. For me, that is just fine.
    What I look forward to is an interesting log waiting for me in my Inbox at the end of the day. I don't know anybody who will check their physical caches every day to see who has visited, but I can think of quite a few who check their email for the same reason.
    It's like a little present waiting to be opened when I see that "[LOG] Owner: " in the subject line.

flannelman Guest
    Boring!!! Plain and simple. I don't like them and I would rather see just a TFTC and what was traded than to see the sam log over and over for very different caches. I love to read the logs for my caches. Some of my caches are in very scenic places and tough places to get to. Old River Runner left a great log for my Man, what a climb!! cache.

Thanks to all who put out the effort to write good logs.

nonnipoppy Guest
    Lots of folks write good logs but I think ORR does a great descriptive job every time........poppy

nonnipoppy Guest
    rkl and I went to Ft Smith last Sunday and I found 41 caches. They were every one micro caches. At first I wondered what I could write about them all but in a moment of inspiration this log came to mind. The cache is X Marks the Spot Almost (WGJN):

Don't believe all that CacheNaFlash tells you about that big X. He is one of them.
    The barefaced truth is that if you go stand on that spot for 68.7 seconds you will be teleported up into one of the UFOs that are housed in the closed off area of Ft Chaffee.

When you are inside the spacecraft you will be stripped and become the subject of loads of experiments. What ever the current whims of the TriLateral Commission is at the moment dictates the scope of the tests.

Prevention of those aliens reentering your head and downloading your entire brain database while you sleep is done by wearing a beenie cap made of aluminum foil under your gimme cap from the local bank.

This truly works. Thanks for an opportunity to out those suckers even if I do put myself at risk. nonnipoppy Clarksville Ar