Thread: Caches along a route

TheAlabamaRambler Guest

Caches along a route

Rumor has it that Groundspeak is working on a solution to caches along a route, but for now check out GeoTruckers.com.

Created for truckers and RVers who drive/tow large vehicles, they are recording caches along America's highways and describing big-rig parking and access to them.

If you are on a trip and want to know what's available along, say, I-40, this is a great site for anyone.

They're new, so not a lot of caches listed so far, but you can contribute by describing caches you have found close to highways - before long we'll have a good database of caches along any highway we might be traveling!

Ed

Ltfightr Guest
    Cool! I wish I had known about this a couple of weeks ago. We just back from a trip. I used Google Earth to plan the Cache Route but the biggest thing I noticed is that in the a LOT of people in thier cache page they would say "be sure to visit the other caches in the park." but they wouldn't say what those caches were! One person even had 2 that you had to find to find a bouns cach but he didn't say any more than that!

We found it so annoying that when we got back we changed our pages to list the ones in the same park as ours. We just have their names and the GC number but that will help the next person who is caching on a trip.

arkansas_angler Guest

Re: Caches along a route

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlabamaRambler
    Created for truckers and RVers who drive/tow large vehicles, they are recording caches along America's highways and describing big-rig parking and access to them.
    I ran across this group back a few months ago, but never thought of putting to my own use. Thanks ALRambler!

I just noticed yesterday that the geocaching website was now offering a new query tool, "Find Caches Along a Route". It's pretty neat. It's also easy to create your own route in GoogleEarth and then save it to geocaching.com for use in creating a pocket query. You can search for other routes already created or create your own. I've created several routes to try it out and it will be a great help to me when I make cross-country driving trips! -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Rick521 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRiverRunner
    I just noticed yesterday that the geocaching website was now offering a new query tool, "Find Caches Along a Route". It's pretty neat. It's also easy to create your own route in GoogleEarth and then save it to geocaching.com for use in creating a pocket query. You can search for other routes already created or create your own. I've created several routes to try it out and it will be a great help to me when I make cross-country driving trips! -- ORR
    I used this on my trip from Little Rock, back to Salina. (Did not use it on the way down as we were in a hurry to see our Grandsons.) Found some really neat caches and it was so simple.