Thread: Free Cache!

TheAlabamaRambler Guest

Free Cache!

Evil Cache is dead, killed off in the recent controversy over Pocket Caches.

It was MIA anyway, as I left it at Petit Jean State Park.

If anyone wants to recover it you are welcome to find and keep it, make it into a real cache (it's not waterproof, you'll have to place it under cover).

Last I saw it was in a cedar tree on a fence-line in front of the Petit Jean lodge.

Sorry, I didn't keep the coords, but if you are standing where the sidewalk to the lodge office meets the parking lot, with your back to the office, there is a rock terrace wall in front of you that seperates the 1st parking section from the 2nd (where we had the GPS accuracy contest, if you were there)

Go stand on that wall, still facing away from the office. The wall extends directly to your left - use it like an arrow that points to the fence-line on your left and there will be a cedar tree.

Evil cache is easy to find in a cedar tree, as it is a hickory nut and two fake leaves!

Enjoy the hunt, enjoy the cache, I hope to see it listed!
    Ed

Man, I was just at the park on Monday, doing some hiking with my brother and sister-in-law, and checking on some of my caches. In fact, when we parked at the lodge to do the Cedar Falls Trail, I'll bet we were within 30 feet of the cache! I wish I had known where to look and I would have snagged it! Oh well, maybe next time, unless someone else beats me to it! Thanks for the information, AL Rambler! -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

My wife and I stayed a couple of days at the lodge on June 6th and 7th, so we missed out too Thanks just the same!

Cache is well-hidden, muggled or picked up.

Here is my update on this cache. I swung by Petit Jean (if one can call returning to Cabot from Batesville as "swinging by"!) on 07/03/06 to attempt recovery.

I assumed the wall referred to in the description was the stone wall that was actually used during the accuracy contest. If not, then I was way off base. I stood on the wall and pointed to the left. There was a fence line behind a cabin with three cedar trees. Taking into account that my arm might not have been as straight as Ed's I searched around all three trees. Since none of them had any holes around the ground or up to six feet above ground I looked around on the ground and for any place else the micro might have been around said cedar trees. No luck.

If the stone wall mentioned is the one closer to the lodge I did not attempt to search anywhere else since I could not see any fence line that would have fell in-line with the directions and the only fence close enough was the one by the lodge itself.

So, the cache is one of three things:

Well-hidden. Granted, I know the difference between a hickory nut and a pine cone. I saw nothing that looked like a hickory nut. Or, I was well off the mark and it is still there. I guess clarification of the directions is in order. Was I on the right fence?

Muggled. Either by a person or Mother Nature. If so, it is g-o-n-e.

Picked up. Someone found it and recovered it. If so, they have yet to post that they have the recovered cache in their possession.

I will only attempt another search if I am told that, one, I had the wrong location and, two, I happen to be "swinging by" again. STW

TheAlabamaRambler Guest

Thanks!

Thanks for looking! I am leaving tomorrow for the midwest GeoBash, maybe I will see a arkgeocacher there, if so I will send Evil Cache The TB back with them.

Have fun,
    Ed