Thread: grand canyon , bryce , zion , mtn meadow, eastern nevada

grandkid44 Guest

grand canyon , bryce , zion , mtn meadow, eastern nevada

We are flying into Vegas Aug 19th for a while, then going to old rout 66 Arizona, Williams, the canyon, bryce, zion, mtn meadow etcc. I know many of you have cached here and would like some recommendations..there are a bunch there but we will be spending only a small time caching and would like to hit some good ones. We will be on several hikes and can vary these somewhat to get some intresting finds.

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    I didn’t log many cache finds during my week long stay in Vegas because of my own paranoia about getting peoples caches muggled.
    I was close to lots of them but the city never sleeps so the flow of traffic and people never stops. People watching, whether looking for celebs or watching out for criminal types is a popular pastime there so anyone who is doing anything, even just walking is closely observed. Being my first visit to Vegas I didn’t hike around in the country side, just flew around and I did my caching in north Vegas although it doesn’t slow down much there either. I had to do a lot of waiting or driving by before getting a clear moment to grab a cache.
    I plan on a road trip to Vegas and also a train trip I hope, so maybe I will have a better opportunity to cache around the state then.
    I also am looking forward to the replies to your query here because almost all the places worth visiting in almost any state are marked by at least one cache. Good luck on your adventure.

The mileage of others may vary considerably from my own.

maumellean Guest
    gk38, I was in Vegas for one night last September and wanted to make sure and log a find in the state while I was there. We stayed at the MGM Grand and I noticed that there was a webcam cache just out the door of the hotel. The name of the cache is The 4 Corners Cache (GCJ067). Just a suggestion in case you want to log a webcam cache. It was a fun one because there were people all around while I was there holding my gps up in the air. Like Backpacknjack, I stayed inside the city and wasn't able to explore the outskirts.

I haven't geocached in any of the areas you're visiting, with the exception of the Grand Canyon. Since it is a national park, the only caches there are virtual. And because of the location, ALL of them are GREAT!

I don't know if you will be visiting visit Flagstaff (about 30 or 40 miles east of Williams on I-40 and MUCH nicer!), but a couple of my favorites there are "Galaxies Among the Pines [a night cache]" (GCPAJP ), for a nice, cool evening walk along a nice trail among the pine forests in the area, and "Wednesday" (GCM9AC), for the great view of the San Francisco Peaks from the high meadow where it's located. Another good one was "25 on 66" (GCE7D7 ), a two stage multi that requires use of the UTM format for coordinates in your GPS unit. -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

We just got back from Bryce and found a couple of easy virtuals. We were not into caching yet when we went to the Grand Canyon and Zion.

Like ORR says, all the caches in the National Parks are virtuals, which get to be kind of a pain when you don't have internet for a couple of days and have to email a dozen or so answers all at once. (Especially when you're fighting two teenagers for internet time ). In fact, we didn't hunt any of the virtuals in Yellowstone for that reason.

Sounds like you night be driving through Page, Az. If so, Emma Dean is convenient and employs a nice hiding technique. BTW, highly recommend a tour of Antelope Slot Canyon if go through Page.
    "Honey, we're not normal people. We're the Griswolds. "

Quote Originally Posted by The_Griswolds
    Sounds like you night be driving through Page, Az. If so, Emma Dean is convenient and employs a nice hiding technique. BTW, highly recommend a tour of Antelope Slot Canyon if go through Page.
    I agree on the Emma Dean cache. If you are planning on driving through Page, there's some others I can recommend -- just let me know if you want the info. Also, regarding a tour of Antelope Canyon -- since you're going in August, I want to warn you that August is monsoon season in AZ and southern UT, which means that the risk of a flash flood is extremely high. In the late 90's, a group of tourists was hit by a flash flood while in Antelope Canyon and many died. Other times of the year, the canyon would be fine, but July and August are not good months for a tour of it! -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen