Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Is Your All Time Favorite Cache In Arkansas?

What Is Your All Time Favorite Cache In Arkansas?

This is kind of a follow-on to my other forum topic of "What Makes a Quality Cache?" This is simpler. I just want to see what others consider as their all time favorite geocache in the state. Not your top 10. Not your top 5. Your #1 favorite. From this, we may all find a pearl out there that we didn't know about or had not searched for yet.

I'll start the discussion. My all time favorite cache is: Inspector Cache-It (GCGTGY) by HugoNaDie. This multi really makes you think and is the one that got me hooked on geocaching!

Now ... let's hear yours! -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Re: What Is Your All Time Favorite Cache In Arkansas?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRiverRunner
    I just want to see what others consider as their all time favorite geocache in the state. Not your top 10. Not your top 5. Your #1 favorite.
    Now ... let's hear yours! -- ORR
    Well, I'm from St. Louis and get to AR occasionally to cache and attend an event or 2, but the one cache that really sticks in my mind is Hawksbill Crag (GC3630). I had been caching about 10 months and made a trip to Mt. Home and over to Harrison. I'd seen brochures with pictures of the crag, but had no idea where it was or how to get there. Finding out there was a cache there was the highlight of my trip. The views and the uniqueness of the area is what makes geocaching so great, especially for out of town/state visitors who would never find anything like this on their own.

I found this back in Oct 2002 and I really think it is my favorite of any I've done so far, in any state.

Don't get me wrong; I've found a lot of great caches in Arkansas and really enjoyed the puzzles, the containers, hiding techniques, views, and other oddities, especially around Clarksville and Mt. Home. But it's hard to duplicate mother nature with some of her surprises, especially when it was just an ammo box along side a rock.

RGS
    St. Louis

That's a really tall order because I really like several different caches and each for a different reason. Some I like because of where they take me (someplace scenic I wouldn't have found on my own or that has an interesting story), others I like because the hides are particularly clever or the container has an awsome camo job.

I'm gonna have to choose....actually no I'm not. I choose not to choose!

lol

flannelman Guest
    I gotta go with End of the Road by CacheMates. I was obsessing over that one. When I saw the listing I knew where the cache should be(only a mile or so from where I work) and I knew I had to get it. Six tries later I got it. I had a good idea of what to look for but since it had been taken I didn't get to find it till after it was replaced. That was a fun experience for me.

Oh, so many great caches to choose from!

Our favorite of all time is now archived. It was called "The Horse's Head Night Cache" (Check out the logs while you're there.) Very creative, unique, and tons of FUN!

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

CaptainB Guest
    We don't have that much experience and have only been caching about a year. But we do have a favorite, Mission Improbable by Tech Guy and the Missus in Walnut Ridge. This is a much different cache than any we have ever seen. In fact it took us about a week just to figure out how to even get started on this one.

demonicangel Guest
    You have asked a very difficult question. It would have been a lot easier if you had said what is your favorite traditional cache and what is your favorite micro cache. Because I have definate perferences when it comes to them. There are days I like to go way out in the middle of no where and get maybe one cache and there are days that I want to see how many I can get.
    As you can tell, I change my mind often.
    But I guess if I had to pick my all around favorite cache of all the ones I have hit it would probablly have to be the Ozark Mountain Challenge. I made it into more of a challenge than it should have been and seen some of the most beautiful sites I have seen around. Everything combined has made it one that is my most memorable and my favorite.

Team_Pink Guest
    #1 cache is #1 for different reasons, like has already been pointed out. I think the caches in the early stages of geocaching will be the leaders in this catagory.

Mine is probably Woodwalker's "What's the score". We hadn't been caching very long and met Woodwalker on the trail. He told us he had some in Searcy and when we got home I looked them up. One said it was unique and he had only seen one other cache like it. Well, here I am, having great success with ammo cans thinking I'm a natural at this geocaching stuff and I REALLY needed a challenge. This one sounded like a challenge and was hidden by someone with a WHOLE BUNCH of finds! I just happened to be surfing the GC forums the night before and seen some unique containers, etc.

When we got to the cache site, my GPS said we were right on it. I stood there for a minute or two checking out the scene and I turned around and I knew what I was looking at! I could feel my smile growing to the sides of my head.

The missus says hers is "The Great Seal", another Woodwalker cache. I think for about the same reasons as above.

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    I have given this a great deal of thought and there is a tie for #1 the way I see it. Mind you, if one was even very, very slightly ahead of the other, I would respect your request for just #1 and not mention #2, no matter how close. But it was a dead heat and both get my rating because of their location.

In the Ouachitas: Flatside Pinnacle GC1A90. The pinnacle itself is stunning, exposed bedrock at the top and flat on one side, thus the name. The view is absolutely stunning. On a clear day you can see mountain tops all over the Ouachita Mountains in a greater than 180 degrees panorama.

In the Ozarks: OHT #1 - White Rock Mtn GCH0K9. Another fabulous place to visit, especially during the fall color season. The rim trail allows you to view in almost all directions of the compass. A great place to see the sunrise and the sunset. What more could a person want unless it was an egg in their beer.

Geezer

Here's a listing of the favorite caches mentioned in the logs to date, listed in alphabetical order. Interestingly enough, no cache has been mentioned twice! So there's a lot of great caches out there! So, Arkansas geocachers, let's hear about some more of your favorites! -- ORR

Favorite Arkansas Caches Listed (as of 6/15/06):

End of the Road (GCQD75) by “CacheMates”
    Flatside Pinnacle (GC1A90) by Steve, Mary, Lee, & Scott Brown
    Hawksbill Crag (GC3630) by Mobile Mavericks
    Inspector Cache-It (GCGTGY) by HugoNaDie
    Mission: Improbable ( GCVGPX) by tech_guy and the missus
    OHT #1 - White Rock Mtn (GCH0K9) by clemtrekers (Adopted by OzarkMtnGhost) Ozark Mountain Challenge (GCH3A3) by White Rock Raiders
    The Horse's Head Night Cache (GCHE65) by nonnipoppy and Golfnutz (note: archived)
    What's the Score (GCKHDK) by woodwalker9
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen