Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 24 Hour Run Record

Team_Pink Guest

Defacing?

I have to disagree with the term "defacing". I have already said my piece (or two) on GC.com and I should probably shut up now but between muggles, improper re-hides, and other cache issues, I'll take three initials on a container of mine any day. It was obviously a less than perfect decision but this whole thing is being blown way out of proportion, IMHO. At least one person used the reasoning that if left unpunished, this practice will spread and must be stopped. Gimme a break, this was a record run, and there is no danger of a rampant "container signing". This issue should be taken care of between the cache owners and the ones who signed the containers not the whole dang geocaching world.

Of course, you know what they say about opinions.

mountainborn Guest

mountainborn Guest

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    I didn’t intentionally look up the GC posts about this, a new record attempt, but it’s hard to read any thread on GC without this subject somehow creeping into it. I will avoid commenting there where tempers seem to be high and no one seems to be really listening to anyone but themselves. I have found through life that you are just wasting your time making comments were no one is listening so I will just drop my dime in this forum where I think the only two team members that I know may have a better chance of reading it.
    Now, why would I think what I have to say about this might have any merit in the real world? Well, there is a saying that goes something like this, “I know from where I speak.”
    Back in my youth I held, broke, set, or otherwise was part of 4 world records so I do know a few things about it. Records always fall and record holders fall too, trophies grow old and tarnished, medals get heavier each year and the thrill of winning always fades but in the wake of this is left the pure untarnished understanding that it was indeed the thrill of the chase that was the best part and the win just meant you were better prepared, willing to push harder, or maybe were just the luckiest on that given day. Even as you stand there you know it will not stand, you are not the best there will ever be, but the pride comes from knowing it was you that raised the bar this time and now it is the others who must give chase.
    And they will.
    Record attempts are seldom ever equal, people will always try to improve on things. The newer track shoes are faster, the vaulters pole is better, the latest gun shoots straighter, the wax is slicker, the tires grip better, etc. and there is nothing you can do about those things but if you try to duplicate the same obstacles they had, you have a right to attempt it and except the win.
    I don’t care if you guys had a goal of just getting within 10 feet of as many caches as you could in the allotted time or if your goal was to sing a full stanza of ring around the roses at each find, if the last record holder used the same rules within reason then you broke the record or re-wrote the rules. If you did not follow the others rules then you set a new record so there are now two standing world records in two different categories.
    Your record will fall either by a more physical team, a better prepared team, or maybe just better use of the sliding room that is in most rules of most games. Either way some will except that you were beaten fair and square and some will say they didn’t play it the exact same way as you did. That is the truth about world records in the real world and I stand by every word of it.
    Congratulations on an amazing accomplishment.
    BPNJ

PS. If ever I was to ask to go caching with any of you...Please Just Say No!!!!!
    I don’t even want to clap my hands that many times in one day
    PPS. I already know how much fun it was so I wont even ask.