Thread: The "Other" games

TeamMGGPS Guest

The "Other" games

I'm just curious how many people are participating in any other GPS related games, ie Navicache, TerraCache, or one of the games like MinuteWars or dashing?
    If so, what are your opinions?
    If this is an old topic, sorry.
    Thx...MGGPS

Re: The "Other" games

Quote Originally Posted by TeamMGGPS
    I'm just curious how many people are participating in any other GPS related games, ie Navicache, TerraCache, or one of the games like MinuteWars or dashing?
    If so, what are your opinions?
    If this is an old topic, sorry.
    Thx...MGGPS
    The only ones I've really looked at are Navicache, TerraCache, and GeoGolf. I found both Navicache and TerraCache to be redundant and not very useful, since there were not enough caches listed there (comparatively speaking). TerraCache also seemed a little too "chippy" for my taste. It seems (at least to me) that they exist more for a political statement than for any other reason.

GeoGolf is pretty fun, but I just don't have time for it. When I get some spare time these days, I'd rather spend it geocaching.

Just my $.02
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

cachecrazies Guest
    We've been checking out Geodashing - http://geodashing.gpsgames.org/ and have seen several that are close to us. Actually found one but haven't formed a team or submitted it.

We have two cachers that are interested in forming a team - one in Colorado and one in Wisconsin so if anyone thinks this looks interesting, we might actually do something about it! But, so far, we're just checking it out!

I have found a couple of the dash points before but have not participated as a team. I think with this a team is the only way to go. I have a sister that lives in central Texas that might be interested in joining a team. We have talked about making a team in the past.

I have also done the geodashing golf thing once. It might be a cool thing to do for an event if you could make it a little more interesting. All you do is submit your coordinates and their system generates 18 random points within a specified radius. The object is to get as close to each point as possible. I did one right around my neighborhood. I think the best thing about it was that it gave me a pretty good workout to do it all in one day.

cachecrazies Guest
    We finally joined this and created a "team" - which so far consists of us!

The one point that was nearby turned out to be on private property that we couldn't get to so haven't logged anything yet.

But if anyone wants to look for a dash point and wants a team to join - we're the "Dashing Ducks". Long story about the name but check out the Llama video & that will explain it! We aren't big into competing so this is just for fun. If you want to rack up big scores this is probably the wrong team to be on!

I recently checked out a couple of the "other" sites after a lot of the bruhaha in the groundspeak forums (various topics) just to see what they were about.

Out of the three I've visited so far here's my take on them.

GPSgames.org - not really cache oriented, but might prove to be fun. Geodashing seems a lot like a BPNJ's mousehunt but with less chance of meeting people. GeoGolf about the same. Other games even more esoteric but having not played any of them it's hard to say if they will be fun. Overall GPSgames.org seems like an okay spinoff.

Navicache.com - I believe someone else already said "redundant" and that's about all I can see there. Sure there are a few extra caches not listed on GC.com, but the question is "why?"

TerraCache.com answers the why question right out front. They want to make "better" geocaches so that you don't have to hunt through the trash. While the idea has merrit as I'm sure most of us would prefer not to find a bunch of film canisters filling our local parks every 528 feet and no interesting caches, it seems to me the completely wrong way to go about affecting that change. If all the people hiding "quality" caches were to withdraw from GC.com and form an elite group, then new players would only have the trash-caches to use as examples of how to cache. Since the site owner has some personal beef with GC.com above and beyond the desire for better caches (a personal agenda) and doesn't allow for the already esisting goecaches of "quality" to be posted on his site the number of TerraCaches is very very limited. (Two in all of Arkansas!) In any case making public bookmark lists of your favorite caches on GC.com seems to address the "search for quality" issue, or it has that potential if people make and publish their favorite cache lists. That and trying to make sure my hides are the kind of "quality" I'd want to find.

Haven't found any other sites yet, unless you count sites like this one for the other states/regional groups, and they seem to be the best resource (outside gc.com) for information.

AR_kayaker