Thread: Caches along a route

nonnipoppy Guest

Caches along a route

I thought that I remembered a topic about caching along a route recently.
    Ican't find it so I'll start this one. I located this page today and some might find it helpful. Major Road Caches

This is waypoints for the arc filter in GPSBabel or GSAK.

WOW! Thanks for posting this link, poppy. It looks like it will come in real handy on my next cross-country trip! Once again, you provide a great service to the geocachers of Arkansas! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Team_Pink Guest
    The problem is getting the caches into GSAK. It takes a ton of pocket queries to get those caches if you are going very far and the current limit of 5 per day or 40 total is a kink in the plan. The best way I have found so far to build the GSAK database is the bookmark feature. You research the route with Google Earth or some other method and build a bookmark list which can contain up to 500 caches. After you make your bookmark list it is easy to keep the caches along the route up to date. Right before your trip, you down load the bookmark pocket query and import it into whatever equipment you use and off you go.

It is not difficult to build a route filter with GSAK and Microsoft Streets and Trips. If you are going on a trip in Arkansas and want the caches along the route, e-mail me and I will send you the filter. If you use Microsoft Streets and Trips I can send you a map.

If you use Microsoft Streets and Trips this page will show you how to make a MEAN Geocaching map. It will generate a map of everything in your GSAK database and make the pushpins to match the cache. IOW, at one glance you can tell what is close and what kind of cache is it.